Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to hm

Re: Petition to bring Google Fibre to canada

The government has basically removed all foreign ownership restrictions in C-38. Below 10% market share revenue (roughly $4 billion) there are zero restrictions, over that percentage the only added restriction is that they can't buy any Canadian carrier or any shared infrastructure currently used by Canadian carriers to deliver service. So those restrictions are not really onerous.

In fact of all telecom companies in Canada, only Bell/Telus/Rogers are bigger than that. Companies like Videotron serve entire provinces and still aren't over 10%.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

The infrastructure costs in Toronto would be through the roof. That's the #1 problem with any new wireline provider, the cost of building out a whole new infrastructure would prevent a ROI for a century(I exaggerate, but the cost would be huge).

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

said by elwoodblues:

The infrastructure costs in Toronto would be through the roof. That's the #1 problem with any new wireline provider, the cost of building out a whole new infrastructure would prevent a ROI for a century(I exaggerate, but the cost would be huge).

They'd never do Toronto in the near-term, it's immensely larger than Kansas City. Montreal is still significantly larger. They'd probably pick some smaller city.

The high infrastructure costs are offset by the "fibrehood" method they use, where they only build out neighbourhoods that a certain percentage of people sign up in, and they set the percentage to 5%, 10%, or 25% depending on how expensive it is to build out that area.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

plebel
Premium
join:2011-01-27
Ottawa, ON

They should start in Ottawa, preferably within my neighbourhood, where the services are on overhead lines so the buildout will be cheap.

Two summers ago I watched some technicians run fiber cable for Bell behind my house. A couple of months ago, Bell finally made fiber to the home available in my neighbourhood, a full two years after running the fiber cable. Of course, the primary motivation for this rollout is to provide Fibe TV, the internet plans that use real fiber are ridiculously overpriced. If Bell can affort to roll this stuff out at whatever rate of adoption there is around here, I have no doubt Google could afford to do the same.

I signed the petition, hopefully this will help to get their attention. We can certainly use some competition from a company that is focused on providing top-tier internet services to their customers.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by plebel:

They should start in Ottawa Hamilton, preferably within my Mike's neighbourhood

Fixed that for you.

Goes to show how retarded Canada's telecom sector is. Wealthy. But totally retarded.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

They'd probably start down east , Halifax or St John's

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

said by elwoodblues:

They'd never do Toronto in the near-term, it's immensely larger than Kansas City. Montreal is still significantly larger. They'd probably pick some smaller city.

The high infrastructure costs are offset by the "fibrehood" method they use, where they only build out neighbourhoods that a certain percentage of people sign up in, and they set the percentage to 5%, 10%, or 25% depending on how expensive it is to build out that area.

Most (not everywhere in the city , but most) of Toronto wired telecom residential services are done via poles installed on the BACKYARD property line. This alone makes the labour component of stringing fiber much more costly.