Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
reply to janedeaux

Re: HughesNet Gen 4 (USA Latest News)

said by janedeaux:

Has anyone else noticed that what is offered is a monthly FAP?

They got it wrong on Exede's packages:

»montanasatellite.com/home-2/sate···dential/

Maybe one of those Ghost companies, with zero installers.

auxilium

join:2012-05-29
Midland, TX

1 edit
reply to ricky_005

Hughesnet didn't released any Gen4 service offerings yet, this one is bogus LOL!

Edit: Plus, if you check the other Plans for HN9000 / 7000s and Exede, information is incorrect.

nkynative
Premium
join:2006-08-13
Warsaw, KY
reply to dbirdman

Indeed, they do. Go to Earthlink's website and then enter your address for what services are available. If dsl is not available, they will list their dialup service as well as satellite service, which, when selected, will take you directly to Hughesnet. I just did that this morning.

nkynative
Premium
join:2006-08-13
Warsaw, KY

downloadEarthLink® I···dban.zip 170,238 bytes
(EarthLink® Internet services Dial-Up, High Speed DSL & broadband Cable Internet)
I am trying to add the copied web page with address blocked out to the forum. Not sure if it worked.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to nkynative

said by nkynative:

Indeed, they do.

Indeed they don't. I see that they tell you it is available, and send you to Hughes (I used my own address, which likewise only has dialup and satellite listed). I suspect they get a commission for the referral.

Note that their dialup has "buy" links, but Hughes does not, because you cannot buy Hughes from Earthlink. Prior to April, 2009, Earthlink was a reseller of Hughes services. AOL was at one time as well. Neither is anymore.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

montana_sat
Premium
join:2005-12-05
Kalispell, MT

1 recommendation

reply to ricky_005

Don't pay attention to this page or this post or the speeds or pricing mentioned... we got this information from a Canadian site and I don't even know if it's talking about HughesNet, G4 or what, but we modified it and pasted it onto our new site just for an idea for a template for posting Gen 4 information when it becomes available. This page was not suppose to be published online yet, so please ignore accordingly. We will be removing this information later today! Sorry for the confusion! Sometimes Google is too good!

montana_sat
Premium
Kalispell, MT
reply to DrStrangLov

We're not a "ghost company" lol... we just accidently published pages that were not suppose to be published... sorry!

A Tech

join:2008-11-10
reply to ricky_005

The official launch date of Gen4 is Oct 1st. Pre sale of this will start Aug 13th for DDO dealers with sales agents to follow Aug 24th.

Upgrade orders..........

Max Mouse

join:2010-02-28
reply to ricky_005

THats terrible, thats not much of a improvement at all.. They promise us we will be able to watch movies and stuff but its way too small.... I was hoping to at least be able to use 2-3 GB a day....

Edit: If its bogus then thank god....... or its better to start talking people into cancel this ripoff service..

A Tech

join:2008-11-10
reply to A Tech

The details will be released on the 7th in Denver and Bangor Maine. I get them on the 9th.

ricky_005

join:2012-01-17
united state

Be sure and post the plan details once known.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium
join:2003-07-10
reply to ricky_005

Though this turned out to be information that doesn't pertain to Hughes, I'm wondering if it's the reason that 7000S folks haven't gotten the rollover. If there's going to be a new way of doing things, that might explain it.

Arion

join:2006-07-09
Marquette, MI
reply to ricky_005

They are trying to sign up people for Gen 4 already. The BUC on my HN7000S went TU and the local installer tells me he can't get a replacement KU transmitter so I have to do an upgrade. While talking to Hughes trying to get an install date for the 9000 the CSR tried to sign me up for Gen 4. Told him I wasn't about to wait for 2 or 3 months for Internet so I got an install date for the Ka system will be done next week.
--
HN7000S IA-8 1070 / 8-PSK 3/4 (14) / Router:67.142.140.83 /.74 1 watt / Pro plus/ Amd Phenom II 955 Quad core, 4gb ram / Win7 Ultimate X64 / Opera 10.10 / www.bigbaywx.com

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to ricky_005

quote:
Essential – Download up to 1.5 Mbps – Upload up to 256 kbps – 10 GB Monthly FAP – $ 54.99 (Overage billed at $ 3.50 / GB)
Advantage – Download up to 3.0 Mbps – Upload up to 500 kbps – 20 GB Monthly FAP – $ 59.99 (Overage billed at $ 3.50 / GB)
Performance – Download up to 5.0 Mbps – Upload up to 500 kbps – 30 GB Monthly FAP – $ 89.99 (Overage billed at $ 2.50 / GB)
So, it's not about capacity after all. This is a pure cash grab in a market that they can take advantage of.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.3G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium
join:2003-07-10

said by Simba7:

quote:
Essential – Download up to 1.5 Mbps – Upload up to 256 kbps – 10 GB Monthly FAP – $ 54.99 (Overage billed at $ 3.50 / GB)
Advantage – Download up to 3.0 Mbps – Upload up to 500 kbps – 20 GB Monthly FAP – $ 59.99 (Overage billed at $ 3.50 / GB)
Performance – Download up to 5.0 Mbps – Upload up to 500 kbps – 30 GB Monthly FAP – $ 89.99 (Overage billed at $ 2.50 / GB)
So, it's not about capacity after all. This is a pure cash grab in a market that they can take advantage of.

If you'll back up and read the entire thread, you'll see that this information was used as a placeholder on a web page by montana_sat and does not pertain to Hughes at all.

Bill00
Premium
join:2004-07-20
Capron, VA

1 recommendation

But, but, but, Rachel -- That could imply that nasty old Hughes Net may NOT be out to screw the poor defenseless consumer and another knee-jerk reaction will have been wasted!!

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT

2 edits
reply to Just Rachel

said by Just Rachel:

If you'll back up and read the entire thread, you'll see that this information was used as a placeholder on a web page by montana_sat and does not pertain to Hughes at all.

So, does that mean the prices will be worse or better? According to HughesNet's history, I'm leaning toward worse.

EDIT: After looking at the spot beam maps, some states won't even be covered by this new satellite. »www.satbeams.com/satellites?id=2497

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

It has been known for sometime the new bird won't cover all the US. It doesn't have enough beams to do that.

Rumor has it coverage of Echostar 17 will be similar to that of Viasat-1. Then, like Exede-5, some people will have Gen4 on the older birds with not as much speed.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Simba7

said by Simba7:

According to HughesNet's history, I'm leaning toward worse.

Then you have an inaccurate opinion of Hughes history. The only significant change in pricing in the past 10 years was a $10 reduction when the 7000 was introduced. Other changes brought on by things like the federal subsidy were also decreases, although those didn't apply across the board like the $10 one.

Can you point to an increase? When? How much?

History is fact, not opinion.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

Dave1970

@direcway.com
reply to Arion

Did they tell you about any price plans or estimated date it would be available?

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH

Rumor has it Gen4 will start October 1st. Probably a pretty safe bet assuming all the testing (currently going on now) goes without any major problems.

DrStrangLov

said by OldSatUser:

Rumor has it Gen4 will start October 1st.

I saw that in an article I was scanning the other day, but have no idea which one now.

DrStrangLov

reply to ricky_005

I haven't noticed if this has been posted in this forum:

Frontier Communications and Hughes Announce Wholesale Agreement to Provide Satellite Broadband Services
Several hundred thousand households and businesses targeted for new Frontier Broadband Service

»www.marketwatch.com/story/fronti···12-07-24

montana_sat
Premium
Kalispell, MT
reply to Arion

said by Arion:

They are trying to sign up people for Gen 4 already. The BUC on my HN7000S went TU and the local installer tells me he can't get a replacement KU transmitter so I have to do an upgrade.

He could get one if he tried... the HughesNet distributors still have them and ship them daily, and we do fulfillment service calls and replace them all of the time, so it sounds like they just want to make a sale or cash in on an upgrade or something!

Beau

@direcway.com

I talked (really) to the Hughes people in July. They said they really plan on making G4 available when the new Jupiter satellite goes up. They thought it would be in August. I wonder if that was the launch that just crashed.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH

1 edit

1) It is Echostar 17....not Jupiter
2) It was launched successful on July 5th
3) The satellite is in testing now for Gen4 service
4) The target start date (if beta testing is successful) for Gen4 service is October 1st

FYI...The rocket that just failed was a Russian rocket carrying a couple of foreign satellites. However, it was the same kind of rocket that carried Viasat-1 last fall.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT

said by OldSatUser:

1) It is Echostar 17....not Jupiter

Um.. Yes it is. Technically, it's Jupiter 1.

»www.satbeams.com/satellites?id=2497

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH

I guess that is why your link points to a page titled Echostar-17.

It hasn't been known as Jupiter 1 for months as it was renamed when Echostar bought Hughesnet.

DrStrangLov

reply to OldSatUser

said by OldSatUser:

4) The target start date (if beta testing is successful) for Gen4 service is October 1st

Echostar's CEO Discusses Q2 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

August 8, 2012

"We expect to begin commercial operations by the end of September"

»seekingalpha.com/article/792101-···t=single

It hasn't been known as Jupiter 1 for months

"The Satellite with JUPITER high throughput technology will enable to use fourth gen satellite Internet service,..."

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
reply to ricky_005

it's been called echostar 17 for months. even the reps over on the hughesnet forum call it echostar 17

»community.myhughesnet.com/hughes···g_closer