Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH
reply to Dave1970

Re: HughesNet Gen 4 (USA Latest News)

Rumor has it Gen4 will start October 1st. Probably a pretty safe bet assuming all the testing (currently going on now) goes without any major problems.

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1
said by OldSatUser:

Rumor has it Gen4 will start October 1st.

I saw that in an article I was scanning the other day, but have no idea which one now.

DrStrangLov

reply to ricky_005
I haven't noticed if this has been posted in this forum:

Frontier Communications and Hughes Announce Wholesale Agreement to Provide Satellite Broadband Services
Several hundred thousand households and businesses targeted for new Frontier Broadband Service

»www.marketwatch.com/story/fronti···12-07-24

montana_sat
Premium
join:2005-12-05
Kalispell, MT
reply to Arion
said by Arion:

They are trying to sign up people for Gen 4 already. The BUC on my HN7000S went TU and the local installer tells me he can't get a replacement KU transmitter so I have to do an upgrade.

He could get one if he tried... the HughesNet distributors still have them and ship them daily, and we do fulfillment service calls and replace them all of the time, so it sounds like they just want to make a sale or cash in on an upgrade or something!

Beau

@direcway.com
I talked (really) to the Hughes people in July. They said they really plan on making G4 available when the new Jupiter satellite goes up. They thought it would be in August. I wonder if that was the launch that just crashed.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH

1 edit
1) It is Echostar 17....not Jupiter
2) It was launched successful on July 5th
3) The satellite is in testing now for Gen4 service
4) The target start date (if beta testing is successful) for Gen4 service is October 1st

FYI...The rocket that just failed was a Russian rocket carrying a couple of foreign satellites. However, it was the same kind of rocket that carried Viasat-1 last fall.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
said by OldSatUser:

Um.. Yes it is. Technically, it's Jupiter 1.

»www.satbeams.com/satellites?id=2497

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
I guess that is why your link points to a page titled Echostar-17.

It hasn't been known as Jupiter 1 for months as it was renamed when Echostar bought Hughesnet.

DrStrangLov

reply to OldSatUser
said by OldSatUser:

4) The target start date (if beta testing is successful) for Gen4 service is October 1st

Echostar's CEO Discusses Q2 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

August 8, 2012

"We expect to begin commercial operations by the end of September"

»seekingalpha.com/article/792101-···t=single

It hasn't been known as Jupiter 1 for months

"The Satellite with JUPITER high throughput technology will enable to use fourth gen satellite Internet service,..."

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
reply to ricky_005
it's been called echostar 17 for months. even the reps over on the hughesnet forum call it echostar 17

»community.myhughesnet.com/hughes···g_closer

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
reply to DrStrangLov
Yeah Karl has it covered. But its all good.

»[NEWS] Frontier Starts Reselling HughesNet Broadband Services

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to Simba7
said by Simba7:

said by OldSatUser:

Um.. Yes it is. Technically, it's Jupiter 1.

»www.satbeams.com/satellites?id=2497

Satbeams typically shows the current name of a satellite, with all former names or synonyms shown in parentheses. You can see that this satellite started out known as Spaceway 4, then became Jupiter 1, and now is Echostar 17. It could be renamed any number of times in the future if the satellite were to change owners, or the owners change their naming schemes.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

ricky_005

join:2012-01-17
united state
reply to A Tech
Any details of plans to be offered in the US yet?

monicakm

join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX
reply to dbirdman
I'm not paying squat for the upgrade!!! I've been paying these crooks outrageous fees for years and not getting anywhere near the speeds I'm supposed to. They can take their upgrade fees out of all the money I've been paying every month. I've already expressed my anger of having to pay to (maybe) get the service I should have been getting all these years. They said "don't worry, you won't have to". We'll see.

ricky_005

united state
I agree...we shouldn't have to pay a dime for a freaking upgrade... But what choice do we have?

Monopolist.......Muahahahahah

I guess you could email them and say like .... Hope you all Burn in HELL you Thieves!

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH

1 edit
reply to ricky_005
Expect to hear more substantial information about Gen4 sometime in the first part of next week (the 14th or 15th I would say). From what I have heard, dealers will be getting more information about it then.

I think the original plan was to release more details the week of August 6th, but that date obviously got pushed back. I think we will know a lot more shortly!

A Tech

join:2008-11-10

1 edit
removed

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
surely hughesnet cannot be as dumb as to get rid of the fap free zone?

if that's the case, then this is already an epic fail

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to A Tech
A Tech...

I have been hearing similiar. While I think some people are going to be disappointed with this, I still see it better than Exede plans. And it appears these plans were designed a iintentionally a little better (but not much) compared to Exede.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to ricky_005
Doesn't sound impressive.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
Unfortunately, they dont have to be that much better to beat Exede. Exede's plans are so crappy, just by making a few tweaks Hughesnet can offer a better plan. And since these companies only have to compete against each other (and to some extent 4G LTE in certain locations)...it is what it is.

The true disappointment started with Exede plans. Now we have to take what these companies have to offer or get no internet at all

stinkyboots

@wildblue.net
reply to ricky_005
So if those numbers are accurate, they will still offer more than Exede. Disappointing to say the least though, I was holding out hopes they would keep the unlimited nightly. Looking at the base package 10 gig day plus 10 gig per night= 20 gigs per month vs. 7.5 gigs for Exede (direct, not NRTC or Dish). So I would call that marginally better, only marginally because it still sux a little. If uploads stilll aren't counted, it would make it a little better as well.

DrStrangLov

reply to OldSatUser
said by OldSatUser:

The true disappointment started with

AT&T

In the dialup beginning, it was by the byte. Then on AT&T dialup, they came out with all-you-can-eat plan, which forced ISPs to abandon their byte counting.

Now, AT&T has started cutting off their all you can eat cable, FIOS, and wireless buffets...

Hence, it was to AT&T's interest to have all you can eat dialup service, since other ISPs had to by more phone lines. But, on AT&T cell towers, cable/fiber, all you can eat eats away on their bottom line.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to OldSatUser
said by OldSatUser:

Unfortunately, they dont have to be that much better to beat Exede. Exede's plans are so crappy, just by making a few tweaks Hughesnet can offer a better plan. And since these companies only have to compete against each other (and to some extent 4G LTE in certain locations)...it is what it is.

The true disappointment started with Exede plans. Now we have to take what these companies have to offer or get no internet at all

I guess I had hope Hughesnet would finally start competing outside their current market. Particularly for people on aging DSL lines. If they tried to lure people in who currently have slow DSL, they would have to offer decent caps. I was thinking along the lines of 20GB, 40GB, and 60GB with unlimited nights and decent overages. That would have benefited everyone. But apparently the only thing Hughes wants to do is milk everything they can from people who have no alternative until there is no milk left. If I were a shareholder in Echostar I would not be amused. Sure, they make more money in the immediate future. But a company that is closed-minded to growth is not a company that has a good future. Verizon is going to grab as many as they can. By the time Hughes realizes what they missed, it will be too late.

Better than Exede, but still bad.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
Verizon has an opportunity, but their 4G coverage is limited (even when if it is completed next year). And Homefusion is what? 20Gb for $100? But they do have the speed to compete with Exede and Gen4 and low latency. Plus a customer support organization that far surpasses anything a satellite internet company can provide.

Like has been stated by others. Gen4 plans sounds like they will be "marginally" better than Exede...but with the Exede bar already set so low...that isn't saying much. Sort of like the high jump. Exede has the pole set 1 foot high. Gen4 might move it up about a foot and half...lol.

seller

@rr.com
reply to stinkyboots
Word is Exede just started unlimited download zone between 12:00 am and 5:00 am.

marsh_0x

join:2006-04-25
Tomahawk, WI
said by seller :

Word is Exede just started unlimited download zone between 12:00 am and 5:00 am.

Hmm I have a huge download after 1am cst so may give it a try, need to call Dish Network anyways. 15GB plan and last month used only 3GB so it's down to the lowest plan makes logical sense.

Also have Basic plan with HN $54 so not much of a BW hog, doesn't matter how it went with plans.
Tho the monthly plan switch does have a benefit.
Heavy night owl hitters won't be happy.

A couple other community members had the same info from HN calls appears to be on the same page.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to ricky_005
Marsh...I have heard nothing that Exede is doing an uncapped download period EXCEPT on the Recovery Plans. And that is unconfirmed...and I doubt there are many people on those plans.

Now, I could see it...as their response to Hughesnet Gen4 plans. Then the pendulum would swing back to advantage Exede.

Competition is good!

ricky_005

united state

2 edits
reply to ricky_005
Click for full size
Here is the Canadian Gen 4 plans that's been known for some time ... »www.xplornet.com/traffic-managem···tv-itmp/

Guess what, the US consumers gets the shaft again! And what are you going to do about it? Nothing because your going to sit back on your couch and Watch Xanax commercials warning you of side affects which could cause depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself, unusual risk-taking behavior, decreased inhibitions, no fear of danger!

ricky_005

united state

4 edits
reply to silbaco
Agree .... 100%

Guess you could have a exciting broadband experience .... but it will last only a few days.

After that, you get a red, white & blue shaft rammed up your anus so far you start spitting out $8 dollar bills for every Gig you consume there after.

There's going to be a heck of a knee jerk when Parents receive their bill. This will end very badly for many ...

As for Washington...they don't give a rats &(*# about the poor and middle class .... and they will continue to allow the corporations to financially rape and pillage consumers around the globe till the collapse!