Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mulhearn1022

join:2008-06-23
Nazareth, PA

1 edit

[connectivity] No more switching to FastPath

I asked for my line to be switched back to FastPath after having been switched off about a month ago (I was on it for years with no problems). Here's my trans stats:

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 864
Margin (dB) 28.9 15.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 15.0 7.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 4.4 11.9

This is the response I got in the Verizon Direct forum:

[Removed]
Verizon is trying really hard to get everyone off their DSL and on to their local cable companies connection (»Verizon is Willfully Driving DSL Users Into the Arms of Cable).

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ
said by Mulhearn1022:

Verizon is trying really hard to get everyone off their DSL and on to their local cable companies connection (»Verizon is Willfully Driving DSL Users Into the Arms of Cable).

Verizon wants people off the copper, especially for DSL. DSL is expensive to service and maintain at distance and or higher speed.

Seidenberg the old POTS guy is gone and McAdam the wireless guy is large and in charge. No more FiOS and get rid of copper; wireless is king and non union.

I just hope that after the economy picks up and enough people in the hood sign up for FiOS Verizon will start deploying it to more aeries.

FiOS stopped one town over from me.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:41
reply to Mulhearn1022
Send me a PM with your DSL #

Mulhearn1022

Nazareth, PA
I PM'd you the DSL #

josw

join:2000-12-26
Spotsylvania, VA

2 edits
I got the same response too, and was on fastpath for years with no problems.
Here was my post:
I was on Fast Path and now they have me on interleaved, I wonder why here are my stats and I have had no connection problems
Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 864
Margin (dB) 18.0 13.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 36.0 17.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 10.8 11.9

My DSL # XXX-XXX-XXXX
Thanks

tim_k
Premium,VIP
Stewartstown, PA
said by josw:

My DSL # XXX-XXX-XXXX
Thanks

I don't think I can work with that

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:19
Ooops, I forgot to save the number and send it on to you Tim when I took it out. Sorry about that.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:25
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Mulhearn1022
They've been telling people that the system is supposed to be setting the line modes automatically as a part of the line optimization process. Verizon still has the ability to do it, but I'm not sure if the Verizon Direct employees can do it anymore, or if they are actually disallowed from doing it.

I don't see the optimization system however, changing the line mode. If a line is on Fast it seems to be switching them to Interleaved even if they've held at a stable state for some time. I believe that happened to my line a few months ago and I had Tim move it back to Fast.

josw

join:2000-12-26
Spotsylvania, VA
Thanks for everybodys help, I been following this forum for just about 12 years and ask for help maybe 2-4 times and someone has always helped or at least tried.
Thanks again, this is one great forum.

tim_k
Premium,VIP
Stewartstown, PA
said by josw:

Thanks for everybodys help, I been following this forum for just about 12 years and ask for help maybe 2-4 times and someone has always helped or at least tried.
Thanks again, this is one great forum.

Send me a private message with your DSL #. I'll check it out. If the stats are under a certain threshold, the system will over ride our manual changes.
--
RIP my babies Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07, Beamer 7/24/08, & Bows 12/17/94-10/11/09

Mulhearn1022

Nazareth, PA
Thanks for taking the time to look into my connection Tim! I saw your thread saying you detached your bicep tendon, I'm glad you're back to work now and doing well!

I know you're really swamped with a bunch of work, but I was curious if you had a chance to look into my line. If so, was it sufficient to be switched back to FastPath? Also, if you already did, do I need to restart my modem to finalize the changes?

Thanks again Tim!

tim_k
Premium,VIP
Stewartstown, PA
said by Mulhearn1022:

Thanks for taking the time to look into my connection Tim! I saw your thread saying you detached your bicep tendon, I'm glad you're back to work now and doing well!

I know you're really swamped with a bunch of work, but I was curious if you had a chance to look into my line. If so, was it sufficient to be switched back to FastPath? Also, if you already did, do I need to restart my modem to finalize the changes?

Thanks again Tim!

Completed!!!!
--

tim_k
Premium,VIP
Stewartstown, PA
reply to Mulhearn1022
OK, I think I see what's going on. Redbacks are being decommissioned, customers are being migrated to Juniper routers. For those customers on Litespans, that typically means bad latency. The answer for that from the higher ups is to put everyone who's on a Litespan on interleave. It's suppose to correct the latency (although a lot of people will beg to differ). As Redbacks are decommissioned, options become limited. I talked with an engineer right before my surgery, he says he has a better solution but time will tell if it's implemented. In the meantime, I might try experimenting with someone on a Litespan and see if I can do it manually. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get around to it though.
--

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:25
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
I wonder where the latency issue is coming with Litespans and Junipers. All I see is packet loss and horrid transfer rates with the Litespans with a Juniper in the mix, regardless of Fast or Interleaved. I've seen latency issues with Junipers and Adtrans though which only occurs when you saturate the line. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this too?

I am noticing more Interleaved lines in my area however. All of those lines are on Junipers now, but the ones that are on Litespan + Juniper which still have FastPath just show the typical issues, but I'm not seeing latency on them. Just stalls and other common traits.

superpc

join:2012-07-12
Gloucester, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to tim_k
I know this is slightly unrelated but I did ask Smith6612 a few months back if my line could be switched to FastPath, he said it could handle it but when I asked Verizon, they said they couldn't due to the same "line optimization" stuff that is being discussed in this thread - you think my line could handle it, and if so what steps do you think Verizon would have to take to turn it on?

Also, I've been wondering if I could actually get 7mbps at my address. Verizon Residential says I can't, but both DSL Extreme and Verizon Small Business say my address can qualify for up to 7.1mbps. Would the stats point to that?

Here's my stats just to repeat:
Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 864 Kbps, Downstream rate = 3360 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: G.DMT
Channel: Interleave
Trellis: OFF
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 23.8 10.0
Attn(dB): 44.5 17.0
Pwr(dBm): 19.6 11.9
Max(Kbps): 8320 976
Rate (Kbps): 3360 864

tim_k
Premium,VIP
Stewartstown, PA
PM me your DSL #, I'll check it out

Mudslinger43

join:2009-01-27
Erie, PA
Hi Tim...
I just sent You a I.M. If You need to reach me You can post on this topic or I.M me please.
Thank You Tim

superpc

join:2012-07-12
Gloucester, VA
reply to tim_k
Ok, thanks!