join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
reply to PX Eliezer7

Re: Revolution (NBC, Sept 17)

said by PX Eliezer7:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

So there's no more lightning either?

This whole theme was dealt with in a very entertaining story, Fredric Brown's "The Waveries", from 1945.

Please elaborate.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT

Can't find any links to the whole thing, but here's a synopsis.

»ascentionist.blogspot.com/2012/0···ory.html

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

Pilot is up on Hulu:

»www.hulu.com/watch/397518

The episode has been captured and is available on usenet. Maybe torrents also but I didn't check.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Hulu... uhhhhh....yeah......Hulu.... that's where I'm getting my copy from.......

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Hulu... uhhhhh....yeah......Hulu.... that's where I'm getting my copy from.......

pffft... xbmc is BOSS!

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to darcilicious

I just saw the pilot... and been there done that.

they lost me while; defying the laws of physics
I hated this, and hope it dies a half season death.

I don't even care what the back story was; some
posters here could write a better one themselves.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to darcilicious

I agree that anyone with a college level degree in the field of Science would have a really tough time with this show’s premise.

In addition the asthmatic brother story arc seems strained because I don’t see how someone with his condition would have realistically survived childhood without proper meds. He’s on borrowed time as it is.

I also don’t like that in the first episode they killed off two of the more seasoned actors “Tim Guinee” and (seemingly) “Elizabeth Mitchell”. The performance of Giancarlo Esposito was excellent though.

I’m getting a kind of General Omar Santiago type of vibe from the show and that’s not good since “Harsh Realm” didn’t even last a full season.

Still as I said before, sometimes you just have to overlook all this in order to enjoy the hot chick with a crossbow,…

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

And the hot guy with the sword, whew!
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Octavean

Well back in the olden days, people with asthma did live into adulthood. There are lots of medicinal herbs that they were able to use.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

I'm sure plenty did survive but certainly not all and recall that the average life expectancy in the era we are talking about was much lower then it is today even for healthy people.

Additional illnesses, which are inevitable, also likely cannot be properly treated and only serve to complicate the issue. Someone gets a cold or some other virus that is basically easy to recover from by anyone with a healthy set of lungs all is good and well. Not necessarily so for many with Asthma even when treated properly with modern medicines. Deaths with Asthma as a complication even today are not uncommon and I have seen people struggle with it where one medication wasn’t enough (they had to have additional meds to bolster the first).

Now add to that the stress of seeing your father killed in front of you (stress is a trigger for Asthma attacks), being physically attacked / abducted by the militia that killed your Father, freeing yourself by attacking your abductors and “running” away all without the benefits of meds,……no I don’t think so.

I would have bought it more had they taken the same route as with “The Walking Dead” where scavenging meds from pharmacies and hospitals was commonplace. Picking the bones of a dead society.

Disregarding the early stage of the show, I’ll also add that I don’t see the brother as being very significant in any way beyond giving the more interesting characters a goal.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
reply to Packeteers

Same.. watched the pilot and it's going to either be cancelled mid season, or at the end of the season.

Acting, IMO, is terrible.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Giancarlo Esposito is amazing. Love his acting.

beavercable
Premium
join:2008-05-11
Beaverton, OR
reply to darcilicious

So if there was a 15 year long black out we'd be reduced to muskets and bows......interesting.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

said by beavercable:

So if there was a 15 year long black out we'd be reduced to muskets and bows......interesting.

Not only that but apparently possession of a firearm is a hanging offense. That leaves you with blade weapons, bludgeoning weapons, pre-metallurgic era low velocity projectile weapons and whatever else,….like harsh language,…

At least they didn’t try and say guns wouldn’t work,…..

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

I just don't get how society fell into the way it is in the show. Before electricity was discovered, Empires rose and fell, Societies grew and prospered.

Steam engines, wind power, hydro power, geo-thermal power, solar power (maybe), would've also powered new machinery to keep society and civilization from sliding back into the dark ages. Smh... Such bullshit.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to darcilicious

Is actually watching the NBC Revolution Pilot right now on XBMC 1Channel Plugin-You have to search for it. However, I'm not going to post any direct spoilers to the show itself.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Here's a spoiler:
Dumb dee dumb, dumb.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
reply to darcilicious

Watching the show right now, past my bed time. The acting so far is crap. After the show I'll read all your posts.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Wily_One

Wily, be sure to let us know when to watch for any post apocalypse wet t-shirt contest.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

Same.. watched the pilot and it's going to either be cancelled mid season, or at the end of the season.

Acting, IMO, is terrible.

Everything about the show was terrible. I wouldn't even give it half a season.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY
reply to darcilicious

I thought it was alright for a pilot, it set up the story and introduced everyone... I'll watch and hope the acting improves.
--
Any it new they in one. You here for mine you here.
-JV

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

You can tell it's an abrams show from the old school pc running something that looked like dos in the basement. That part is pretty much a direct ripoff of lost. I wonder when The Others or the dharma initiative peeps show up?
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

I really liked Lost and think that if this show is half as good as that was, it should be fun to watch. A tie-in would be great.

I was also a little disappointed that Elizabeth Mitchell (from Lost! ) isn't in the show more because, well, she's dead. Need more flashbacks to when things were boring and normal.

Anyway, I think the show is okay. The acting isn't that great so far (except for Esposito) and I have no idea where the story is headed, but I've only seen the pilot.
I'll keep watching for now.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

said by Rook008:

I was also a little disappointed that Elizabeth Mitchell (from Lost! ) isn't in the show more because, well, she's dead. Need more flashbacks to when things were boring and normal.

Actually they never showed the death of this character and it may not be true. It could be classic misdirection.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Good point.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to juilinsandar

said by juilinsandar:

You can tell it's an abrams show from the old school pc running something that looked like dos in the basement.

I actually got a screen capture of that screen. When I watched it on 1Chan. Then I went to research it to find out what it was... and it seems someone else beat me to it.
Results here: Advanced Viewed Pilot Discussion and they disect it in great detail -Enjoy-
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
Twitter:Merv Chat:irc.teksavvy.ca

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to darcilicious

Some clues about why electric devices stopped working:

1. Ben Matheson knew the electricity would fail in advance.

2. Ben Matheson saved some information onto a USB flash drive (?) that might have describe what happened or how to circumvent it.

3. The lights did not go out simultaneously. They went out like dominoes in the city and sequentially from Eastern U.S. westward around the planet.

4. Ben's son, Danny Matheson, has asthma.

5. Grace had (has?) a child with asthma, has a storage device similar to Ben's and has the ability to power a computer and sent text messages over a dial-up connection when supposedly no electrical devices can operate.

6. The title sequence changes from "evolution" to "Revolution."

Speculation:
Whatever shut down the lights moved at less than the speed of light but faster than the speed of sound.

Scientists seeking a cure for asthma inadvertently create something that escaped shutting down electrical devices around the world.

Scientists, who want to evolve mankind, created nanobots to shutdown modern society and kill off the unfit. They programmed the nanobots to be controlled by their children which made them allergic (causing a asthmatic reaction) to the nanobots.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13

Wow.

Now that's drawing in just a little bit of the 1985 New Zealand SF film, "The Quiet Earth".

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to Stem Bolt

I just watched it at NBC.com
I was shocked to see it available so soon. Then again this is NBC, not Fox.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to DrStrange

Interesting.

I was wondering as to the lack of steam engines, heck even bicycles. Why go all the way back to the 1600's and still have automatic weapons, but no steam?

Unless there are more industrialized areas, where steam engines would make more sense to have, instead of middle of no where rural areas.

I think this show will attract teen viewers as well. One of my kids appears to be interested in it.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.