All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
tmcclintic
join:2012-07-27
Sahuarita, AZ

tmcclintic

Re: [AZ] Constant issues and restarts on 3.0 gateway

Well sadly the modem is not performing that well now.

Getting roughly 10% packet loss. No hourly disconnects but this 10% is rough when trying to stay online and do stuff.

Here are the stats off the modem:
Power Level Signal to Noise Ratio
Channel 1: 0.5 dBmv 39.9 dB
Channel 2: 0.7 dBmv 39.6 dB
Channel 3: 0.7 dBmv 39.8 dB
Channel 4: 0.7 dBmv 39.9 dB
Channel 5: 1.2 dBmv 40.4 dB
Channel 6: 1.2 dBmv 39.2 dB
Channel 7: 1.2 dBmv 39.2 dB
Channel 8: 0.7 dBmv 39.3 dB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upstream Channels
Power Level
Channel 1: 51.0 dBmv
Channel 2: 51.0 dBmv
Channel 3: 51.0 dBmv
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmv

Not very impressed with the access Cisco gives you. I happen to do network support using stictly Cisco devices and am very used to work on the CLI. I'm sure since this is their residential product it's totally different. No telnet, ssh, cisco/Cisco doesn't work, etc....

Anyone notice if these levels are acceptable? Any suggestions? Any Cox technicians have the ability to assist with this, I'm stuck with Cox for now since the only other provider is satellite but I'm about to go there...
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Well your upstream power level is on the high side at 51db, and could cause your modem to drop offline. The upstream power level only goes up the hotter it is outside. So only thing I could simply suggest, is lowering the upstream power level. Which to do that getting rid of any unneeded splitters will help drop the upstream power level. Also once the cox line from the street reaches your place, its best to have it connect to a two way splitter. With one port going to your modem, and the second port going to another splitter if you have multiple tv's. You can always setup a tech visit, as your upstream power level needs to be lowered. Since at the hottest point of the day your power level is probably around 53db, which is pushing max, and can easily cause modem to lose sync, and reboot.
tmcclintic
join:2012-07-27
Sahuarita, AZ

tmcclintic

Well I've had a ton of techs out and they all say it's not the levels. They have reran everything and still no dice.

I don't have TV service due to the poor quality of that already, went with DirecTV
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by tmcclintic:

Well I've had a ton of techs out and they all say it's not the levels. They have reran everything and still no dice.

I don't have TV service due to the poor quality of that already, went with DirecTV

Well all I can suggest at this point, is start running traceroutes, and finding out where your packet loss is occuring.