Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nemo888

join:2005-12-25
Canada
reply to CHRoNiCWiLL

Re: Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475

6 days of uninterrupted internet. Heavenly.

Thanks mlord.

callous10

join:2005-09-12
toron
reply to CHRoNiCWiLL

why wont thomson do this firmware upgrade? They created this firmware

random

@teksavvy.com
reply to mlord

>If so, I think I might glob it in places with some hot-melt glue to keep things from falling off the breadboard.

I would use a huge heat shrink tubing over the whole thing. That's how I protect some of my homemade PCB. Future Electronics in Nepean sell Polyolefin ones which are soft. Not sure if they sell wide enough one for your breadboards. The transparent ones are good for inspection.

Hobby stores carry PVC based one for making RC battery packs etc., but they are hard and non-flexible.

As for "logic probe" (a few pages back), you can find "dupont wire" in places that sell electronics parts from China. They have proper 1 pin connectors that goes into the clips and 0.025" square post in connectors.

»dx.com/p/single-port-female-to-f···&u=55454
Single Port Female to Female Jumper Wire Set (50-Pack/20CM-Length) for $4.90 US free shipping.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by random :

As for "logic probe" (a few pages back), you can find "dupont wire" in places that sell electronics parts from China. They have proper 1 pin connectors that goes into the clips and 0.025" square post in connectors.

:) You mean, like, the ones in the third photo above in this very thread?

random

@teksavvy.com

Yes. Those types of clips. It works fine with the Tek and old HP clips that I have, except the flat hp logic analyzer clips which uses a crappy pin that are formed by folding.

If you haven't gone so far down the development, I would have suggested reprogramming/re-purposing those $4-$6 "USBasp" cables from China to use as USB to SPI dongles. USBasp is open source programmer for AVR chips, so the Chinese copies would have same design. It uses V-USB, a bit-banging software USB stack. The 10 pin connector has power, AtMega8 SPI port and 1 GPIO line which is pretty much what you need to program SPI Flash. »www.fischl.de/usbasp/

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to mlord

said by mlord:

Something I could do, would be to make a duplicate of the flash rig, and sell it outright to one of you North Toronto area people. You could then provide the service to others in your area, and quite quickly make back the cost of the rig by charging a modest $5/flash fee.

The rig cost would be around $50, I think.. gotta add it all up.
But there would be a bit of a delay while I source another SD card slot.

Cheers

Ideally one guy at each POI area, trained and ready to roll.
I'd prolly be interested in doing this too once I'm shown how a time or two.
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
Twitter:Merv Chat:irc.teksavvy.ca

Nismo3

join:2012-11-15
reply to Nemo888

Hey all,
I discovered this place because like most of you I was having issues with my Thompson DCM475 dropping signal and rebooting every hour or so. I had contacted Teksavvy about the issue and they basically told me to buzz-off because the modem was a few months out of warranty.

Deciding to take matters into my own hands (its not like you can break a crappy modem more than its already broken) I started to Google. I found this thread and I read up on what was going on. I was able to connect with mlord last week and he updated the firmware for me to STAC 02.16. The modem has been rock solid for the last 5 days.

Thanks again for everything mlord. Job well done!
Nismo

random

@teksavvy.com
reply to random

There is a parallel port to SPI FLASH programmer that only require 4 resistors and a power source. I guess you have to magically obtain a copy of the firmware which tends to be the hard part.

rayer.g6.cz/programm/programe.htm look under SPIPGM.ZIP

>SPIPGM.ZIP ver. 2.1 [98 kB] (DOS/Win9x/NT/2k/XP/Vista/7/Linux) is a tool for programming serial SPI FlashROM memories attached to PC via parallel port cable. It can identify device, read, write, verify, erase and unlock flash memory. More info about needed hardware (CZ-only but schematics is self-explaining) here.

condor11

join:2007-10-12
reply to CHRoNiCWiLL

TSI, Mark, Martin,

The last update on this issue from you is over 2 month old.

Reading forum threads like this, seeing the kinds of hacks people have to go through, is the reason I don't recommend TSI internet anymore. Even if someone was to get it today and order a modem from you with proper firmware, Rogers can "update" their network again, rendering the modem again useless.

The fact that there is still absolutely no remedy on this is disturbing, to say the least...

yu130960

join:2005-08-03
Stouffville, ON

I ended up making the trek down to see Teddy Boom and got my DCM475 modem flashed today to 2.16.

My problem was actually that in the computer parameters for the modem, the "Computers Detected by Modem" would go to 0 and the modem would take 10 seconds to refind the computer and go back online. It would happen at least a couple times of day.

Not sure if the flash is going to help, but I will keep the thread posted to see the results over the next few days.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Good to hear you got it updated.

So at this point, do we have anyone else down in North Toronto area that needs this done? Or have the rest of you also now found alternatives?

If there were a group of three or more of you, it would like be worth your while for me to mail you the flashing rig, and get it back again from you afterwards.

Otherwise I'll just dismantle it and re-use the parts for something else someday.

Cheers

DL

join:2012-11-23
Markham, ON

I'm in Markham (North Toronto). Add me to the group wanting to do this. If not many people still need to do this around this area I might try and track down Teddy Boom and see if he can do it for me.

These reboots are driving me nuts.

yu130960

Stouffville, ON
reply to mlord

Well it has been a couple days and the Event logs on my DCM475 are still clear which is a first.

Also, the connection has been solid since I came home and plugged it in (48 hours and counting). I will report back in a few more days to be conclusive but it seems that 2.16 solved my odd "computer detected 0" drop outs.

Thanks to Teddy Boom and mlord for providing a fix. They should get something from Teksavvy as I was on the verge of going back to Rogers.

yu130960

Stouffville, ON
reply to DL

said by DL:

I'm in Markham (North Toronto). Add me to the group wanting to do this. If not many people still need to do this around this area I might try and track down Teddy Boom and see if he can do it for me.

These reboots are driving me nuts.

Next time you get the drop out, login to the modem 192.168.100.1 and check the "Computers Detected by Modem".

DL

Markham, ON

said by yu130960:

Next time you get the drop out, login to the modem 192.168.100.1 and check the "Computers Detected by Modem".

I've only seen it say 1, which I'm guessing is my router.
What do you think is happened?

I've seen the errors in the event log that others in this and other threads are mentioning about the DHCP FAILED.
I also see:
SYNC Timing Syncronization failure - Loss of Sync
UCD invalid or channel unusable
No UCDs Recieved - Timeout

I wish I would have looked into the rebooting earlier as my 1yr warranty with Techsavvy ended in July.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

Which firmware do you currently have?

DL

Markham, ON

STAC.02.08

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

Please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum with your account info.

Martin

DL

Markham, ON

said by TSI Martin:

Please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum with your account info.

Martin

Posted. Thanks.

yu130960

Stouffville, ON

Does Techsavvy have a policy on replacing these DCM475 2.08 modems that are acting up and out of warranty?

DL

Markham, ON

They are exchanging mine.

The modem was purchased from them though.

mlord

Nepean, ON

What are they doing with the (perfectly good if updated) old one?

yu130960

Stouffville, ON
reply to DL

said by DL:

They are exchanging mine.

The modem was purchased from them though.

Glad you got some help. Curious as to what you are going to get (DCM476??).

I figure spending the $10 to Teddy Boom or mlord is better to keep a perfectly good modem out of the landfill.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to mlord

said by mlord:

What are they doing with the (perfectly good if updated) old one?

We'd all love to know this

Somebody told me they send them back to the distributor to get upgraded, but I'm not sure if I believe it. Nobody has offered to sell any to me, I know that
--
electronicsguru.ca

DL

Markham, ON

I would think they will send me an updated one and send mine out to be updated.

I doubt they would send me a different model since it's the DCM475 i purchased from them.

DL

Markham, ON
reply to yu130960

said by yu130960:

Does Techsavvy have a policy on replacing these DCM475 2.08 modems that are acting up and out of warranty?

Looks like they do. This is their reply:

You should be getting a DCM475 STAC.02.16 to replace the 02.08. Due to warranty expiring on current modem the new modem will not come with any warranty.

mlord

Nepean, ON

I read that as saying they don't update the old ones.

gatogordo

@teksavvy.com
reply to DL

Mine expired in June and their reply to me was to find Teddy Boom and get the firmware upgraded through him - so I don't think they have a policy. I mentioned that other customers were being upgraded but mine is apparently too far out of warranty. (June instead of July). All I can say is wow, tech support second to none.

yu130960

Stouffville, ON
reply to yu130960

Well it has been a week since I plugged in my Teddy Boom flashed DCM475 (flashed to 2.16) and no drop outs at all. It solved my problems and I love my Teksavvy service again. Like I said I was prepared to go back to Rogers as the drop outs were so annoying.

Nice to see that Teksavvy is trying to help people out (even outside of warranty), but for $10 (if you are close to mlord or Teddy Boom) it is just worth getting it done.

Thanks to mlord and Teddy Boom for hacking up a solution when no one else would.

tgunny

join:2011-04-20
Nepean, ON

I too got my DCM475 firmware upgraded this weekend at mlord's and I have no more dropped connections. Thank you again mlord! I think mlord and Teddy Boom deserve many kudos for this. And I hope Teksavvy recognize and acknowledge the amount of help they are getting from the community.