join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to pulp46

Re: Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475

said by pulp46:

Hello mlord, could you provide a couple of stores in the Ottawa area that sell those items?

There aren't any. But overnight delivery ($7-8) is possible from robotshop.ca (Montreal) and digikey.ca (North Dakota/Manitoba).

I'm also in Ottawa, so if you need an upgrade, you might just drop by instead.
I also have a second rig all assembled here.

Cheers

pulp46
Premium
join:2003-01-28
Thank you for the information.

dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·ITalkBB
reply to resa1983
I changed my network yesterday with a new router and switch.

The switch links the desktops in the living room and ties it to the router in the basement that has a dual band wireless network and gigabit ethernet speeds.

The VOIP connects to the Netgear router directly this time.

Before it was two routers and this caused some issues on latency because the routers were slower and placed together so they delay the packets a bit, with the VOIP on the basement router.

The new router I got I can configure the QoS priority on the VOIP so it uses less bandwidth most likely.

Gigabit routing also works from this desktop to the modem.

ryangard

join:2006-02-21
reply to CHRoNiCWiLL
Seems they just upgraded my area to 8 downstream and 4 upstream bonded channels, and now it seems my modem's rebooted at least once on its' own. I'll keep an eye on it, but that being said, the DCM475 has a 1 year warranty, correct?

If that's the case, I'm starting to think it's just easier to get it exchanged.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
said by ryangard:

the DCM475 has a 1 year warranty, correct?
If that's the case, I'm starting to think it's just easier to get it exchanged.

Be nice if one could get an extended waranty from TSI if you bought it from them.
--
IF TREE = FALL AND PEOPLE = ZERO THEN SOUND = 0
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to ryangard
I do hope to visit Toronto for a few days in a week or two. And if/when I go, I will bring one of my flashing rigs along for the ride.

This opens up a couple of possibilities..

1. If somebody there wants to organize/host a 2-3 hour get together, with others who need their modems reflashed, then we could all meet up and get the job done then.

and/or

2. I could leave a flashing rig behind with someone at cost ($30-$40), who might then provide the service to others, or do whatever / however they want really.

Ideally, this would happen in an area away from where Teddy Boom (downtown) already provides this kind of help. Somewhere (just) North of the 401 might be ideal, to help people in North York, Scarberia, etc..

But I'm not organizing it. Somebody who needs help should volunteer to get things rolling. Think of it as a Christmas Charity activity or something.

Cheers
Mark

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
said by mlord:

2. I could leave a flashing rig behind with someone at cost ($30-$40), who might then provide the service to others, or do whatever / however they want really.

For a long time I didn't think so, but recent evidence suggests that firmware upgrades to SB612x are just as important as upgrades for DCM475. If you could set it up so that swapping the flash card would allow you to upgrade different modems, and include a flash card for each of the SB612x and DCM475, that would be ideal. I can get you a donor SB612x if you want...
--
electronicsguru.ca

ryangard

join:2006-02-21
reply to TwiztedZero
Unfortunately that doesn't answer whether or not TekSavvy offers the year warranty on the DCM475.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

If you could set it up so that swapping the flash card would allow you to upgrade different modems, and include a flash card for each of the SB612x and DCM475, that would be ideal. I can get you a donor SB612x if you want...

Yup, could do that. I forget, does the SB612x also use SPI flash? If so, then I'll make it so both images can just be on the same card. The rig can auto-detect the kind of modem it is attached to, and choose the correct file based on that. Easy.

A donor SB612x would be good. If you can arrange one, I'll drop by and pick it up some time before Christmas. Should be able to make the programming changes while I'm there (Toronto), too.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to ryangard
said by ryangard:

Unfortunately that doesn't answer whether or not TekSavvy offers the year warranty on the DCM475.

On the units they sell, yes, they advertise / provide a full year warranty, with replacement. This covers incompatible firmware (like 02.08) as well. But only for the year, possibly plus a little bit.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to mlord
said by mlord:

I forget, does the SB612x also use SPI flash?

Ya, for sure SPI flash. It is an 8MB chip though. The biggest concern is that you have to over wright both firmware images, because on the Motorola there is no dependable way of predicting which image will be booted.

I've got to run now, but more info to follow
--
electronicsguru.ca

mlord

Nepean, ON
Peachy. My current automatic rig for the DCM475 flashes both images regardless now too. Also does readback/compare to ensure reliable flashing.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
said by mlord:

Peachy. My current automatic rig for the DCM475 flashes both images regardless now too. Also does readback/compare to ensure reliable flashing.

Well, that's an entirely different issue, which might become an issue for us... The SB6120 pulls about .5A through the 3.3V supply, and there are sometimes issues getting the flash to ID properly... Basically, a lot more read/write issues on the SB6120. Nothing that causes bricks for me, but sometimes a lot of hassles.

Really have to go
--
electronicsguru.ca

mlord

Nepean, ON
Yeah, even with the DCM475 I noticed flashing became much more stable when switched over to a custom 0.8/1.0 amp 3.3V power supply in the rigs.

seal

join:2012-12-18
Kanata, ON

1 recommendation

reply to CHRoNiCWiLL
Thanks mlord, the modem you flash for me tonight worked perfectly. Kudos!

mario9999998

join:2000-08-25
Canada

1 recommendation

reply to CHRoNiCWiLL
I'd just like to add that I visited mlord to perform an upgrade for my modem, and everything works great. It only took about 10 minutes too. Thanks again!

mlord

Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

reply to mlord
Last chance for Toronto folks.. I'll be visiting for a couple of days soon, and nobody has gotten back to me asking for modem updates. If nothing gets arranged, I may not bother making the flashing rig available.

vaughanman

@teksavvy.com
reply to mlord
called TekSavvy complaining about the droppouts. They sent rogers to check the lines - no issue found. I called back Teksavvy, and asked about modem swap despite warranty date passing. They send me a (free) new DCM476 modem and now problems all resolved ! My 1 year was up in august so they gave me service despite 4 months over the purchase anniversary...I'm happy with Teksavvy !!!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to CHRoNiCWiLL
+1 @ vaughanman.

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to vaughanman
Glad the modem fixed the issue, if you have any other questions you know where to find us.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
--
Social Media Relations Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to Teddy Boom

SB6120/SB6121 Firmware

SB6121 on the ripping rig
Courtesy of Teddy Boom, I now have a SB6121 modem to experiment on. Here's the logic board hooked up to my flash-ripping rig. With a bit of luck, this will all be ready to use in a day or so, for anyone who needs their SB6120/SB6121 modems updated to the latest firmware for Teksavvy.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit

The SPI flash chip
No heat sinks to get in the way of this chip.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 recommendation

Click for full size
SB6120 having it's flash ripped.
And here's a SB6120 in the same ripping rig.
Both modems use exactly the same firmware images.

jojomcbobo

join:2013-01-03
Toronto, ON

2 recommendations

reply to CHRoNiCWiLL

Re: Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475

TeddyBoom upgraded the firmware on my modem last week and I haven't had a problem with disconnects since. Thanks TeddyBoom!

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to CHRoNiCWiLL

Upgrading Firmware on DCM-476 modems

DCM-476 interior
Apparently there are a (very) few DCM-476 cable modems floating around out there with the wrong (for Rogers) firmware version installed. So today I opened up my (spare) DCM-476 to rip a copy of the Stac.02.50 firmware from it for fixing other modems with.

The layout inside looks a lot like the DCM-475, but with a few changes. Much smaller heatsink on the processor chip, and the SPI flash chip is also downsized to an 8-pin package from the predecessor's 16-pin package.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

2 edits

Spansion 8-pin SPI flash chip

Pin-outs
The flash chip in my modem is an 8-pin Spansion FL032PIF, in the same location as the 16-pin chips in the DCM-475 modems. I was unable to locate the datasheet, but I did find a Spansion cross-reference which indicates the chip is compatible with the Atmel A25L032. So here are the pin-outs from that for comparison.

Edit: here's the Spansion datasheet: »www.spansion.com/Support/Datashe···P_00.pdf

Insilin1i

join:2010-07-15
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to mlord

Re: SB6120/SB6121 Firmware

Hey guys, I was kind of curious if there was a difference between
SB612X-1.0.5.0-SCM03-NOSH and the newer 1.0.6.1. I've been on this firmware for a while but I've been continuously getting random restarts which last for a couple minutes. Not sure if it's due to firmware or not?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by Insilin1i:

Hey guys, I was kind of curious if there was a difference between
SB612X-1.0.5.0-SCM03-NOSH and the newer 1.0.6.1. I've been on this firmware for a while but I've been continuously getting random restarts which last for a couple minutes. Not sure if it's due to firmware or not?

The
SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH
is the stable upgrade to
SB612X-1.0.5.0-SCM03-NOSH
that Rogers pushed before which caused constant reboots.

I'd get in contact with Teddy Boom here in TO, and get your firmware upgraded.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

random

@teksavvy.com
reply to mlord

Re: Upgrading Firmware on DCM-476 modems

The orderable part# is S25FL032P
Datasheet is here: www.spansion.com/Support/Datasheets/S25FL032P_00.pdf

Parts marking on page 13: FL032P + (Temp) + F

Insilin1i

join:2010-07-15
Toronto, ON