Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

underubb

@teksavvy.com
reply to Teddy Boom

Re: Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475

said by mlord:

...The first 64KB appears to be a fixed "bootloader" area, including MAC address and various crypto certificates...

said by Teddy Boom:

...I'm pretty sure it is in the configuration file, along with what speed of service you are getting, and what priority on the network you should get...

said by Teddy Boom:

...Do theft of service issues make this a bad idea?

Overall, I'm really not sure what I think, but it is worth discussing.

Presumably if a user if a user changed speed, priority, or mac address in the configuration, the ISP would be able to detect and fine said user.(assuming they bothered to monitor this sort of thing)

Other changes to the configuration or firmware (better logs/settings) could be made undetectable by the ISP, but would not really be worth the time AFAIK.

So I don't really think there is any problem with randoms upgrading firmware.

related thought: There are a lot of Raspberry Pi's floating around that might be overkill but might be able to do the job.

Other related thought: depending on the keys used in the modem one might be able to push your own upgrade just by plugging it in to a crafted device (without opening the modem), but I guess there is no point in attempting that harder and less robust approach.

Anyway thanks Teddy Boom and mlord for all the hard work, I hope it motivates the ISPs to take a more sane approach to firmware upgrades and less likely to adopt a more open approach for modems.

iudjin

join:2013-03-10
Etobicoke, ON
reply to CHRoNiCWiLL
I am another DCP-475 modem owner with 2.08 version of firmware told by TekSavvy to get or buy new modem.
Are you still helping people with firmware update ?
Thanks in advance.

ShetiPhian

join:2011-12-29
Belleville, ON

1 edit
Teddy Boom and mlord both preform the upgrade but you need to take your modem to them.

If memory serves me correctly:
mlord is in Ottawa and charges $5
Teddy is in Toronto and charges $10

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

reply to Teddy Boom

SPI Programmer
Thanks for bringing back memories

I built and designed these USB SPI programmers shown in the attachment. If I remember correctly it cost about $3.50 to make (based on ATTiny45 or 85 ... can't remember) .

Mostly did it for experience and fun but after making a bunch the hobby was too much like work at slave wages. Ended up spending weekend after weekend hand soldering, hand testing, hand packaging, hand shipping. Yuk.

Still have a dozen hanging around somewhere.

I'm impressed that you guys are offering to fix modems for $10 or less. Clearly not a industrial money making enterprise. That is very caring and generous.

Cory

join:2004-09-28
Canada
I was wondering if anyone is still doing firmware flashes? If so is anyone doing them in the GTA area closer to concord/thornhill/richmond hill?

Thank you.

Cheers

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Yes, No.

mlord is in Ottawa and charges $5
Teddy Boom is in Toronto and charges $10

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10
And some new guy is in Kitchener/Waterloo and charges $10

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
said by Scycotic:

And some new guy is in Kitchener/Waterloo and charges $10

That is zinc, here's the thread:
»[Cable] Kitchener/Waterloo firmware upgrades

I just pinged him to see how things are going.
--
electronicsguru.ca

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

3 edits
reply to CHRoNiCWiLL
Meanwhile...

I finally have a DCM476 of my own to play with, and I've been playing.
(well, I had a DCM475 of my own way way back, but it sold quickly)

Turns out it is possible to upgrade the DCM476 with just a TTL serial cable and a TFTP server. The method is similar to the DCM425 method.. Apply a short to pin 2 of the SPI flash at exactly the right moment and you get an open console.

(edit to add some instruction)
Serial console settings
Baud: 115200
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Parity: none
Flow control: Xon/Xoff

The moment for the short
First power up with the serial console connected. After about 3 seconds of being powered on, the console should display a bunch of information in plain text. Get used to how long it takes from applying power to seeing the output. Then apply power again, but this time apply a short between ground and pin 2 of the SPI flash (on the 476, or pin 8 on the 475) just at the moment that the information would be displayed.

If you see the normal output, you were either way too early, or too late.

If you see the Broadcom wavy logo, but the output is stuck, you've done it very slightly too early.

If the output is much longer, and results in a prompt that you can type instructions at, you are in.

Command to flash

cd d
dload -i2 192.168.100.10 02.50.bin

(or, you know, 02.16.bin if it is a 475)

A thing of beauty :D

I don't mind making up detailed instructions if the demand is there, but for now just pm me if you'd like to give it a try.

And, I'm almost certain that this will work just as well on a DCM475, but we won't know until somebody tries.

more edits:
So I just did the upgrade on a DCM475 using the short method, and it works just as well. Of course the DCM475 has a 16 pin SPI flash, so you have to apply the short to pin 8 instead of pin 2 on the 8 pin SPI flash. Everything else is exactly the same.

--
electronicsguru.ca

dannyphones

join:2013-04-14
Toronto, ON
Hey Teddy Boom,
Where abouts downtown do you live?

How easy is this new method?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
said by dannyphones:

Hey Teddy Boom,
Where abouts downtown do you live?

How easy is this new method?

I'm at Bathurst and College.

How easy...
Hard for me to judge. I have to perform a similar procedure to this on every DCM425 I sell, so I've become very practised. On the 425s, a couple of people who do this kind of thing have given up trying and get me to do it for them when they need it. At the same time, a lurker here at dslreports managed to do a DCM425 pretty easily--"it took me about 20 tries" he said, which isn't bad for a first timer.

In fact, he did it without the serial console cable even.. For the DCM475/6 A method that doesn't require serial console may be feasible, but will require more development.

If you have a TFTP server set up, and if you have a TTL to RS232 serial cable, we should talk.
(in fact, I'll stick the last couple of details in the post above, and then all you'd need is a copy of the firmware)
--
electronicsguru.ca

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON
reply to QuantumPimp
said by QuantumPimp:

I'm impressed that you guys are offering to fix modems for $10 or less. Clearly not a industrial money making enterprise. That is very caring and generous.

Yeah, Teddy is a stand-up guy!

Imaria

join:2013-03-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to Teddy Boom
What's the best way to get in contact with you to get a DCM475's firmware upgraded? I think I sent an email via your website, but I believe utoronto's aggressive mail filters ate it.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
said by Imaria:

What's the best way to get in contact with you to get a DCM475's firmware upgraded? I think I sent an email via your website, but I believe utoronto's aggressive mail filters ate it.

Hi Imaria, I sent you a pm a little while ago. Thanks!
--
electronicsguru.ca

dslCanuck

join:2013-04-27
reply to CHRoNiCWiLL
Thanks to Teddy Boom and mlord for the info/files to upgrade my 475.
Went successfully today using the TFTP method. Wasn't too hard at all timing the pin8-shorting to access the console.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

Pir8pete

join:2003-09-05
Ottawa, ON

3 edits
Here's a newer factory SB61XX Firmware
»www39.zippyshare.com/v/30507039/file.html

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

2 edits
said by Pir8pete:

Hacked firmware

Pir8pete, I'd really appreciate it if you could start a new thread with the hacked firmware links, and delete it from this one. I have no objection to that stuff in general, but we don't want any negative attention placed on the service mlord, zinc and I offer.

edit:
In an attempt to be diplomatic, I think I haven't stated the point strongly enough...

What individuals choose to do with their own equipment isn't my concern, but I consider it morally unacceptable to make a business out of theft of service. In addition, because my business treads into the grey area of flashing cable modem firmware, I'm very careful to make sure I don't do anything that ISPs could reasonably find objectionable. This is why I want no association between my legitimate firmware upgrades and hacked firmwares.

I very much appreciate the helpful intent, but I hope you understand why it is important for you to take the hacked firmware link somewhere more appropriate.

edit edit:
Thanks very much Pir8pete! I was recomposing then you changed your post.
--
electronicsguru.ca

Pir8pete

Ottawa, ON

3 edits
I completely understand, just thought you might wanta tinker with it. To my knowledge, a person would still have to sub to use that "Hacked" fw. It can't go online with all the security in place, it just shows modem Daig. info.

On another note; I left a newer factory fw for the SB6120/SB6121/SB6141 -> SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH.NNDMN link up as it addresses alot of issues.

callous99

@nltelcom.com
reply to Teddy Boom
Now that you've seen the dcm476 in the inside, does it have the same sized heatsink as the 475? Anything remarkably different from the 475 that you can recall?

xanthrocroi

join:2006-03-10
Ottawa, ON
reply to Teddy Boom
Out of curiosity what kind of symptoms might a firmware issue be? I'm new to the world of cable Internet and I've had nothing but problems since my service was first set up a week ago.

In that week I've had two Rogers tech supports come out, I've been provided the number to the service company so that I don't need to go through TSI/Rogers, the cables from the taps have been completely re-ran to my apartment, no splitters and nothing else on the system and my modem was still just restarting constantly like my US was timing out. TSI is sending me a new modem though a friends modem worked at my place mine was iffy at his, first test it did not work and second test it did. When the modem gets hooked up if I have the .08 should I just hit up mlord as he's in Ottawa and have him flash it for me?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by xanthrocroi:

Out of curiosity what kind of symptoms might a firmware issue be? I'm new to the world of cable Internet and I've had nothing but problems since my service was first set up a week ago.

In that week I've had two Rogers tech supports come out, I've been provided the number to the service company so that I don't need to go through TSI/Rogers, the cables from the taps have been completely re-ran to my apartment, no splitters and nothing else on the system and my modem was still just restarting constantly like my US was timing out. TSI is sending me a new modem though a friends modem worked at my place mine was iffy at his, first test it did not work and second test it did. When the modem gets hooked up if I have the .08 should I just hit up mlord as he's in Ottawa and have him flash it for me?

Restarting like that can be a symptom of old firmware.. Have you checked the state page in your modem though? If the stats are too far out of range, it can cause rebooting like that.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

xanthrocroi

Ottawa, ON
I'd done the tech support with the folks over the phone and everything was right where it was supposed to be. They think it's a modem issue and I should have the new one in Friday.

Any time it went down I couldn't see the state of the power outputs as I couldn't connect to the modem. It almost seems like the T3 stuff that was going on a little while ago. Part of me is regretting switching from DSL to cable as I have never had a single issue on DSL and cable has started off with a super sour taste.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to callous99
said by callous99 :

Now that you've seen the dcm476 in the inside, does it have the same sized heatsink as the 475? Anything remarkably different from the 475 that you can recall?

I'd forgotten about this question The 476 has a much smaller heatsink. It isn't clear why though, and I'd hesitate to draw much inference from that.

In fact, if you check all the pictures from mlord up thread, I think you'll be able to see the difference for yourself. Not sure which hardware rev of the 476 mlord has though...
--
electronicsguru.ca

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to xanthrocroi
said by xanthrocroi:

Out of curiosity what kind of symptoms might a firmware issue be?

Periodic reboots is pretty much the one symptom.

a friends modem worked at my place mine was iffy at his, first test it did not work and second test it did.

Unfortunately, this is inconclusive. On one hand, somebody elses modem working well on your line is almost certain proof that your line is fine. On the other hand, when you bring your modem to a new location, it can sometimes fail at the HFC DHCP step (that is, HFC MAC address pulls an HFC IP address for communication with Rogers CMTS--NOT the DHCP process that gets you an Internet routable IP). So, having it work one time but fail another could mean modem fault, or just HFC IP issues.

So... If the modem reboots at your friend's place after getting online in the first place, then it is probably a modem problem. If the modem just doesn't get online at all (in particular, online light just keeps blinking), that is the issue I mention above and doesn't say anything about the modem's state of repair.
--
electronicsguru.ca

xanthrocroi

Ottawa, ON
I'm honestly at a loss as to what the issue could be as Rogers techs have literally replaced everything they could. I do have a new modem coming in tomorrow (Friday) and if that resolves the issues (or if its old firmware) at least I'll have a rough idea of what the issue is.

Pir8pete

Ottawa, ON

4 edits
for ppl wanting to upgrade there SB6121, here is the newest factory firmware version to date.

Link -> »www54.zippyshare.com/v/19165995/file.html

I will be setting up shop to flash SB6121 with the approved 1.0.6.1 for the Ottawa area as there's no one willing, mlord told me he won't do the SURFBoards now?. I'll post another thread with the details for everyone, just waiting on my USBJTAG as I fried my one and only.

hightech

join:2011-01-03
how do we get the new firmware for the SB6121?

Pir8pete

Ottawa, ON
have to have the hook ups, as it's not avail. to the general public

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Pir8pete
said by Pir8pete:

for ppl wanting to upgrade there SB6121, here is the newest factory firmware version to date.

[att=1]

Link -> »www54.zippyshare.com/v/19165995/file.html

The versions do keep coming. Nice to know the modems are still being supported, but one wonders if they shouldn't be a little more careful about what they release
--
electronicsguru.ca