how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jamerican413

join:2004-08-07
Chicago, IL

UVerse a Major Disappointment So Far...

I changed over from my ATT DSL 6 Mbps plan where I was getting average of 4.8 Mbps to UVerse 12 Mbps, where I'm getting 3 Mbps average (consistently 2.88). I use the Motorola 2210-02 modem with my Cisco E3200 router (wireless gets the same speeds, so the router is not causing any issues that I can see.) I get my speed tests from speedtest.net and speakeasy.net and they're pretty much the same results.

I talked to ATT support and they tell me that my modem cannot support speeds of 12 Mbps (well how about 6, 7, 8??!!) and my friend's use of the same modem and the same package shows that not to be true. When over their house I get between 5.8 and 7.1 (I've run a speedtest every time I've gone over there, out of curiosity). My neighbors downstairs use the Gateway supplied by ATT and they get over 7 Mbps - only after calling and threatening to cancel the service due to slow speeds for over a month). They sent a tech, who found a problem with the line outside somewhere and they fixed it. Funny thing is, while their speeds went up, mine went down from 4 to 3! Any idea what's going on here?! I'm trying to keep an open mind and trust that this can be fixed before I cancel and find something that works. IS my modem the problem??

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2

Log into your account online and verify your subscribed package. Compare that to the broadband stats Page from your modem. Would be helpful to post the screen shots of the broadband stats, with your public IP blocked out. The modem is definitely not your problem, but an improperly set up IP pass through, or problems in the inside wiring between your modem and ATT's demarcation would definitely cause you to not have access to the bandwidth you know that you're signed up for.

jamerican413

Chicago, IL

1 edit

I attached my connection info. (That is what you're looking for, yes?) I forgot to mention that they told me I'm within 800 ft of their CO (I'm pretty sure that's what I heard).
Thanks for your reply!

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:8

1 recommendation

He meant to black out the "Internet IP Address" which is what the outside world sees you as. You seem to have blacked out the 192.168.x address that can only be reached from inside your network.

Oh wow that modem tells you almost nothing. Does one of the other pages have power levels, signal to noise ratios (SNR), or error counts?

/M

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to jamerican413

Bad news...you posted your public IP in that screen shot. Not really the end of the world but might want to remove it.

Good news...kinda...gave me enough info to look at your line. You are syncing at a rate of 4355 right now and your downstream noise margin is 1.5 (bad).

I recommend you post in the Direct forum, you are provisioned for 12mb for sure you you'll never get it until the line issues are resolved.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

jamerican413

Chicago, IL

1 edit

Click for full size
How about this? Thank you guys so much for your input. I did post to the ATT UVerse forum on their site but no reply so far. Very few people have even looked at the post. I did call and they're going to send a technician out Saturday to check the line. I suspect they'll try to find a way to say it's in the inside...

Forosnai

1 recommendation

reply to jamerican413

Can't make out the numbers in the screen shot, but it looks like your syncing at 3Mbps with the line only able to support 4, and still catching errors at that. The ADSL2+ is much more sensitive to inside wire bridge taps. Ask the tech what kind of sync rate they get at their demarc. Cropping the pic before upload would be helpful.

jamerican413

Chicago, IL

1 edit

Thanks, I'll ask them. I thought the pic expands when you click on it. It must only do it on my side...

Forosnai

That attenuation value is normal for 2600ft from the CO.
If the tech gets a considerably larger SNR margin or lower attenuation at the demarcation then you'll want to get the tech to install a clean home run to the modem.

jamerican413

Chicago, IL

I'll make sure I bring all this up. I believe they told me I'm much closer than that, but I will make certain and talk it over. One thing I do know is if this costs me money to get close to what I'm expecting I'm going to bow out. The young lady I spoke to stressed that if they have to do any work inside it'll cost me $100.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

said by jamerican413:

The young lady I spoke to stressed that if they have to do any work inside it'll cost me $100.

Oh. That just struck a bell. Are you in an apartment by chance?
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

jamerican413

Chicago, IL

Yes, I am. I live on a 2nd floor of a 2 unit building. My neighbors downstairs had a problem with their UVerse, same package. Someone came out, did some work on the line outside, and theirs is MUCH better. However, mine is now worse.

metricsys

@sbc.com
reply to Forosnai

said by Forosnai:

That attenuation value is normal for 2600ft from the CO.
If the tech gets a considerably larger SNR margin or lower attenuation at the demarcation then you'll want to get the tech to install a clean home run to the modem.

You need to check that chart again... The chart clearly states distance is in METERS, not feet. So a 35 attn is about 7500 ft.

Forosnai

reply to jamerican413

My apologies for the typo, the distance unit is irrelevant and I should have only referenced the attenuation and max sync rate.

jamerican413

Chicago, IL
reply to jamerican413

Well, a tech came out today. He noted that there is a LOT of noise in the line and that it's coming from outside. He has no idea why I'm not getting more speed. He suggested lowering me down to the 6 Mbps plan. I had that with DSL (and it was faster than this, in fact). I only have one usable jack in my place and it's a direct line to the box with no interference along the way. He checked this jack and said I should be getting great signal. He has opened a ticket for a tech to work on the outside line. I'm supposed to get a courtesy call when they are done so I'll know to expect it to be fixed at that time. If they try to convince me to stick with 6 Mbps I think I'm going to call it quits. I'll wait until they think this area deserves better service, if that's the case.

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04
Reviews:
·Charter

Apt bldgs are notorious for bridge tap and poor wiring, especially the older ones. if the tech tested at the jack properly, meaning remove the faceplate and test directly off wiring in question, doing the standard NID check test with his jdsu, will show tap or no tap. if the tech just plugged in his jdsu and ran a vdsl test this will just show connection.

It really boils down to the tech taking the time to isolate your wiring out to the terminal or connection block. many times i have found splicing of the phone lines in apts.

They only get 69 minutes to resolve issues on repair tickets, they usually just jep (cancel) the repairs they cannot resolve in this time frame due to their monthly efficiency mandates. Now that we have to call into a helpdesk of under experienced contractors for helper tickets this will become the more common practice.