how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sjfromreddit

@comcast.net
reply to graysonf

Re: [HomeSecurity] Comcast reused my old router without resettin

HA! That literally made me cackle out loud!

tomdarch

join:2012-08-02
Chicago, IL
reply to sjfromreddit

Wow.... I just placed an order to start service with Comcast, and I decided that I'd avoid the $7/mo rental fee and buy a modem myself. Reading that they neither reset all old rentals nor are they capable of understanding this situation makes me glad that I'm buying a modem.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by tomdarch:

Wow.... I just placed an order to start service with Comcast, and I decided that I'd avoid the $7/mo rental fee and buy a modem myself. Reading that they neither reset all old rentals nor are they capable of understanding this situation makes me glad that I'm buying a modem.

This thread was discussing a router, not a simple cable modem. A simple cable modem has no personally identifiable information in it. And even a router would not be a problem if you just did your own factory reset on a new router, and before you turned it in to Comcast (if it was a rental).

And FWIW I purchased two Netopia DSL routers from Amazon a couple of years ago, and even though they were advertised as "new" equipment, when I received them they were routers that had been returned to AT&T, and AT&T in turn sold them to Amazon. How do I know that was the case? I know because both of those routers still had the old user's PPPoE usernames and passwords in them (real usernames and passwords, not the factory default dummy authentication entries). Buying a "new" modem or router does not mean that what you get is really new, or that it won't contain information from the previous owner. Have you ever wondered what happens to a modem, router, hard drive, laptop... that is returned to a retailer such as Bestbuy, Staples, Office Depot...? What happens is pretty much that they put new shrink wrap on the box and put it back on the shelf.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

not true
what if they were a 1337 hacker and they had put a shelled firmware on it that sends the certificates out to a specified destination? They can then clone the modem

or the more obvious solution of just taking the certs first and then sending it back to comcast w/ stock firmware.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by JigglyWiggly:

not true
what if they were a 1337 hacker and they had put a shelled firmware on it that sends the certificates out to a specified destination? They can then clone the modem

or the more obvious solution of just taking the certs first and then sending it back to comcast w/ stock firmware.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
reply to NetFixer

The 3347 I bought "new" on Amazon for $20.00 had an Verizon customer username/password in it.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by graysonf:

The 3347 I bought "new" on Amazon for $20.00 had an Verizon customer username/password in it.

I doubt that JigglyWiggly See Profile will believe you either.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:22
reply to sjfromreddit

The last post from the OP was three days ago. I don't think we're helping anymore.