share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

[IE] Youtube says IE 8 is IE 7 and support is going away

Click for full size
Why does Youtube tell me to upgrade IE 7 to IE8? I have IE8. I usually use Fx 10 ESR for Youtube videos but I wanted to see if they would play at 1080p in IE (they won't without constant buffering in Fx even though I upgraded to a higher speed tier that was supposed to fix the problem). They still will only play at 720p using IE so the problem is not Fx but my connection.

Anyhow, why is Google saying I have to upgrade IE? Why does Google think I am using IE7? This is a virtual machine running on VMWare Workstation 7 on XP Pro.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

It doesn't do that for me so it's obviously something with your system.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to Mele20

I opened IE8 on my XP64 desktop, hit up youtube and didn't get an IE7 banner.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Mele20

Maybe because I run Service Pack 2 not 3? I don't see why Youtube should care what Service Pack I have for Windows though. It doesn't care if I use Fx or Sea Monkey at Youtube on the same service pack.

Maybe Youtube is looking for the latest revision of IE 8? Or maybe because I first had IE 7 on there and then IE 8?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to Mele20

May be your Proxomitron's filter tells that?

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6

1 edit
reply to Mele20

I saw this on a Windows 7 box running IE9 this past weekend and told the client to just ignore the message. Every once in awhile, Yahoo.com seems to think I'm using IE8 instead of IE9 (also on a Windows 7 box, fully updated) and asks me to upgrade too.

I wonder if it has to do with the User Agent string that is being sent when the page is requested and also how it may be affected if the IE page requested is run in "Compatibility mode".

Sorry, no specific answer to your question -- but at least I offer some ideas as opposed to others.

Added-- I can duplicate the problem by placing the website in Compatibility Mode running XP Pro SP3 in a Virtual Machine under Windows 7).
--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

I sort of forgot about it....sorry. I use a variety of browsers and I meant to check the user agent string and then got off doing other things.

Anyhow, IE 8 with Proxo filtering identifies itself as:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1)

If I bypass Proxo filtering:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

With Proxo filitering (latest 12/2011 filters) it is identifying as Windows 7 with IE 7. Without Proxo filtering it identifies as XP but still with IE 7.

I created this virtual machine back in 2005. So, it has had IE6 and then 7 (the public beta version), back to IE 6 and then eventually to IE8. (I like IE8 but very much disliked IE7). I probably just have to live with this.

It's not compatibility mode as I only have one site in compatibility mode and it is not youtube.

I have a clone of this machine that I made in May 2008. I don't remember what version of IE is on it. I have not updated the clone since I created it. I'll check it later.

At any rate, youtube is correct from its point of view as the user agent string reports IE7.
--

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Mele20

Perhaps you should look at fixing the incorrect UserAgent string.

--
Angus S-F
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona, USA
»geoapps.com/
»www.linkedin.com/in/angussf
»geoapps.blogspot.com/

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

That fixed it. Thank you.

Now, with Proxo enabled it shows as:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1)

With Proxo disabled it shows as:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

Youtube no longer complains with the use of either string.
--

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 edit
reply to Mele20

Even if the banner was wrong... isn't support ending for IE8 as well? I thought the announcement indicated BOTH versions were being dropped?
EDIT: Can't find the article to link this claim... might have got this mixed up with IE8 support being dropped by another service.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Mele20

I spoke too soon. I can't use the Addon. It makes IE unresponsive and eventually it hangs completely.

The unresponsiveness was with Proxo enabled. I don't know if it would make a difference to bypass Proxo. Even if it did, I don't want to bypass Proxo. I have an extension for Fx that lets me fake any user string I fancy with Proxo enabled and no problems with Fx becoming unresponsive.
--

cmcasey79

join:2000-12-10
Allen Park, MI
kudos:1

downloadIE8UA.zip 360 bytes
Mele, try using the .reg file I have attached (zipped) here. It should fix the registry to properly show IE 8 in your user agent string.
--
- cmcasey79, BrightHouse RoadRunner Turbo, Farmington Hills, MI

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Mele20

Im sorry Mele,i was gonna suggest you change your USER AGENT to say "MSIE 8.0" the other day and i got busy and forgot

Im glad someone pointed you basically in that direction

Expand your moderator at work