uniqs

Triple Helix
DNA
Premium Member
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON

Triple Helix

Premium Member

Purchasing a new Modem/Router For Ultimate!!

I was talking to a Rogers rep today as my DL speed for the Ultimate sucks I was going to purchase the Cisco DPC3825 as I have the SMCD3GN and he told me to hold on till the end of the year as they are testing newer better Modem/Routers! I was wondering if there is any truth to this?

TH

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

2 edits

1 recommendation

elitefx

Rogers ALWAYS blames the modems for their inability to deliver the service as advertised. Truth is, it's rarely, if ever the modem's fault. Either a modem works or it doesn't. As long as you're connected you can blame Rogers for the slow speeds. Click on "Tools" at the top of this page and run a line test. The results will pretty much let you know where the problem lies. Old lines will degrade your service. Cheap splitters will also.
I'll bet it's either a Rogers line problem or it's Rogers equipment. Oh, and don't bet the farm on anything those yahoos at technical support have to say.
Rogers can't fully utilize all the channel bonding on the D3 modems out now so some new "super" modem will do Rogers customers no good.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

BACONATOR26 to Triple Helix

Premium Member

to Triple Helix
They just got the Cisco modem a year ago. Unless you really need the router part, just get the Cisco as the modem part is rock solid in my experience (and it supports 8 downstream, 4 upload channels!).

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

There is a new modem in testing however it is also a gateway. Not sure which vendor they've chosen this time, but it should be coming out soon. It claims to offer improved wireless capabilities. SMC and Ciscos are perfectly fine modems, their wireless capabilities just suck. If your speeds are garbage even when your computers are hardwired by ethernet to the gateway, you probably have other issues then your modem.

Triple Helix
DNA
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

2 edits

Triple Helix

Premium Member

Click for full size
I did have a tech here on friday and he said my signal was great as the connection Box outside was on my lawn so I might go back to Extreme Plus where I was getting Better speeds! 60Mbps/1Mbps

TH

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by Triple Helix:

I did have a tech here on friday and he said my signal was great

Sadly, you're not listening my friend. Do a Line Test. Check your Packet Loss and Latency. Where did the tech check the signal? Outside at the box or at your modem? Big difference. You have a problem with your connection and you need to track it down. Otherwise, why are we trying to help?

Triple Helix
DNA
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

Triple Helix

Premium Member

said by elitefx:

said by Triple Helix:

I did have a tech here on friday and he said my signal was great

Sadly, you're not listening my friend. Do a Line Test. Check your Packet Loss and Latency. Where did the tech check the signal? Outside at the box or at your modem? Big difference. You have a problem with your connection and you need to track it down. Otherwise, why are we trying to help?

He checked the main line coming inside the house then he checked the signal at the modem and he said all was fine with a great signal! And I did a line test in my last post at the top! And if you look a the post topic I was not asking for help!!

TH

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to Triple Helix

MVM

to Triple Helix
As a cable modem the SMCD3GN follows the DOCSIS 3.0 spec without compromise as does the CISCO DPC3825 .... So either one will be equal and will deliver to the spec when in bridge mode.

Your node may have conjestions issues all depending on how many people are actively using their systems and that most certainly will show very mixed results.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

I'm fairly certain it is congestion.. or QoS kicking in, I know Rogers stated that they manage capacity on a daily basis for different customers.

elitefx
London, ON

2 edits

elitefx to Triple Helix

to Triple Helix
said by Triple Helix:

And I did a line test in my last post at the top!

Well, can you post the results of the line quality test that you ran (not the speedtest) just so the rest of us can see what they are. Line Quality test only lists 2 numbers: packet loss + signal latency. Thanks

Triple Helix
DNA
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

Triple Helix

Premium Member

said by elitefx:

said by Triple Helix:

And I did a line test in my last post at the top!

Well, can you post the results of the line quality test that you ran (not the speedtest) just so the rest of us can see what they are. Line Quality test only lists 2 numbers: packet loss + signal latency. Thanks

Are you blind have a look at the very top of my post here like I said just click on it to make it bigger: »Re: Purchasing a new Modem/Router For Ultimate!!

TH
Triple Helix

Triple Helix

Premium Member

Here is a new Line Quality Test!

TH

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

LOL Must need new glasses. Missed that completely. Anyhoo, looking good now. That 5% packet loss has disappeared and looks like your line quality is in better shape than mine. Hmmmmm.....