uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jameson
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Fallbrook, CA
kudos:1

[CA] [San Diego]So slow every night!

Every single night my internet connection is so slow. I have the Ultimate Package and on average see 50Mbps down and 5Mbps up during the day time. As soon as 5PM rolls around, I start getting these crappy speeds(usually less than 3Mbps):

Cisco DPC3010
Ultimate

Downstream:

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 5.8 dBmV 37.0 dB
Channel 2: 5.9 dBmV 37.1 dB
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 5: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 6: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Upstream:
Power Level:
Channel 1: 30.2 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

Directly from the wall to the modem.
Bypassed the "router" (running pfSense) and it's still the same crappy speeds.
f4:5f:d4:a0:22:c0

I've complained to tech support and all they ever do is "fix" the problem by issuing a remote modem reboot.

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

that tech support should have hereby issued a parameter configure reset and then secondly reboot the modem that should clears the parameters up so after that rebooted cable modem will obtains the fresh parameter settings from the CMTS headend.

Jameson
Premium
Fallbrook, CA

Here's a speed test from this morning:

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

Look in your modem's logs and see if you're getting T3/T4 timeouts in the evenings when your service is slow. If so, then it's probably noise being generated by other users in your node. If not, then it sounds like a capacity/over-subscription issue somewhere in Cox's network or at their internet drain.

Jameson
Premium
Fallbrook, CA

Unfortunately with this Cisco modem, you are unable to view the logs without the administrator login. Cox apparently changes the default login and does not provide it to their end users.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Jameson:

Unfortunately with this Cisco modem, you are unable to view the logs without the administrator login. Cox apparently changes the default login and does not provide it to their end users.

You want to know what your problem is? Your locked only onto 2 downstream channels capable of 76mbps of total bandwidth. That 76mbps of total bandwidth is shared with everyone on your node. So guess what? when everyone gets on the internet during prime time hours(7pm-11pm), your speeds go to shit because of it. My suggest would be to drop down your speed tier, and wait for more downstream channels to come available. Because I had this same issue with Ultimate in my market, when we had only 2 downstream channels.

hoozdapimp

join:2003-02-12
San Diego, CA

I have the same exact problems, and I was forced to move off ultimate as well. I too, only get 2 bonded channels. Not sure what the holdup is when lots of people in San Diego seem to be getting at least 4, if not 8 bonded channels. I have a SB6120 if that matters.

n19htmare5

join:2006-03-21
Chula Vista, CA
reply to Jameson

I also had a thread with this issue. I also have 2 downstreams and you're still lucky to get 5Mb or even 3Mb.

I'm Usually down to 1Mb or so.

On weekends, I'm slow all day and near useless on weekend nights.

Calling CS is absolutely pointless as they do resets and eventually wanna send a tech over for a fee.

Their infrastructure can no longer handle the loads and they refuse to do anything about it in congested / growing markets.

hoozdapimp

San Diego, CA

I called them again after I posted last, and as stated, they wanted to send a tech out. They said they wouldn't charge a fee unless it was a "user" error, so I gave them the okay. I knew it wasn't a problem on my end since I have no problems maxing out my connection during non peak times. Of course, when the tech comes out, it's in the middle of the day, so my speeds were decent, but I did show him speedtest results over a week period at night that showed how slow it was. He agreed that there seems to be a problem and suggested I downgrade my service.

I previously had ultimate, and had no problems maxing out my connection regardless of the time of day. Then I started having problems, so I downgraded to premiere. Now I am having more problems....downgrading cannot be the acceptable answer. Why won't cox do something about this?

Longing for FIOS, or even better Google Fiber, but unfortunately, the competition is just non existent in our area, so they have little desire to make things better.

chip89

join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Jameson

you are on a overloaded node I get 54MB/s all the time thanks to my own node.

hoozdapimp

San Diego, CA

Yes I am quite aware that this is the problem. Also, I think you mean 54Mb/s?

Jameson
Premium
Fallbrook, CA
reply to Jameson

Apparently they're going to be upgrading this node within the year. Hopefully that will solve the issue. It's quite annoying that I'm paying $100 for a service that only provides the speeds 1/3rd of the time.

n19htmare5

Chula Vista, CA

This is after 3-4 reboots of modem.

During non peak hours I get 25 Mb/s or more.

This is beyond pathetic.

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:10
reply to Jameson

@Jameson

I see your modem locked on to 8 channels from my side? Are you still having issues?

@n19htmare5

Can you PM your modem mac to me, I'd like to take a look.

n19htmare5

Chula Vista, CA

I am not sure what you're seeing.
My modem is showing it's locked to 2 downstream and 1 upstream channel.

I'm at about 3-4MB down right now, and it's 9:08 PM. SLightly better than last night no where close to what I'm paying for it.

I'm just HOPING that COX either adds a node or I get an alternative provider. I've already cancelled Phone and TV completely from COX, I'm try to give them least possible business, but I'm limited on alternatives .

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:10

I saw 8 qams on Jameson, unfortunately you only have two. I'm pinging some of the local folks I know to see if they can shed some light.

hoozdapimp

San Diego, CA

Still having the same problem.

odog, I just PM'd you my information, if you could take a look as my information that would be great. I just noticed I'm still running 2010 firmware, not sure if that matters.

n19htmare5

Chula Vista, CA
reply to odog

Thanks Odog, let me know if you need anything else from me.

It's so frustrating coming home to what feels like dial connection.

Cox refuses to do anything about it.

n19htmare5

Chula Vista, CA

Here it is at 1 AM.

31Mb/s down to 1.xMb/s is in my opinion a DRASTIC and UNACCEPTABLE change.

Cox refuses to do anything, everytime I call them, they want to send out a tech at my expense at a time when traffic is fine.

I have work at 6AM, now's the only time I can download large project files and do things remotely.

Agh!

spanglo
Premium
join:2004-05-17
San Diego, CA
reply to Jameson

On ultimate, and I was having nightly speed issues about 60% of the time in the evenings with weekends being the worst. Speeds would slow down to the 20mb range in the evenings with the occasional drastic slowdowns a couple times a month. Sucks, when you're paying for 50mb and only getting 20 or less. I feel your guys' pain.

Haven't noticed slow downs in the last week or so, and also noticed my modem is bonding 4 channels now where it was only bonding 3 before. Seems to have made a difference.

Jameson
Premium
Fallbrook, CA
reply to odog

said by odog:

@Jameson

I see your modem locked on to 8 channels from my side? Are you still having issues?

@n19htmare5

Can you PM your modem mac to me, I'd like to take a look.

I appreciate you looking into this. I am now locked onto 8 channels as of recent and everything has been fixed.

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 5.9 dBmV 36.8 dB
Channel 2: 6.1 dBmV 37.3 dB
Channel 3: 5.8 dBmV 37.2 dB
Channel 4: 5.8 dBmV 36.8 dB
Channel 5: -2.2 dBmV 36.1 dB
Channel 6: -2.3 dBmV 36.0 dB
Channel 7: -2.3 dBmV 35.8 dB
Channel 8: -3.3 dBmV 35.4 dB

hoozdapimp

San Diego, CA

Glad to hear it!

I am still suffering. Last night, I was lucky if I could pull 1mbit down. Download speeds from google were 60kB/sec....pages were taking forever to load.

During the day, I have no problem maxing out my 25mbit connection. I hope to see some relief soon, this is so annoying.

Still only locking onto 2 channels. Is there a newer firmware update than December 2010 for the SB6120?

SDKiwi
VIP
join:2002-05-27
El Cajon, CA
kudos:2

You should see an improvement [more bonded channels] this week if you live in the Chula Vista/National City area.

hoozdapimp

San Diego, CA

I am in Santee, so I guess I'm still stuck at 2 for the time being?

cadillact

join:2006-08-05
Chula Vista, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to Jameson

Well for the first time in years I actually got what I pay for during prime time. (No slowdown) I have only tested it for one day. So success on day 1 at least. I didnt even know about the extra bonded channels. We had an outage here yesterday night. So i reset the modem(troubleshoot) and voila I had more channels. The modem had been running for 131 days without a reboot before yesterday.

The only question now is how long will this last?

I have seen this several times in the past. Eventually the speed drops during prime to below paying speed.(14 years with cox internet)

I'm in zip 91913, Chula Vista east of 805

PS! Should I tell this to my neighbours? Two of them downgraded to lower speed. If I tell them and they upgrade then i might be slow again.

Anon00
Premium
join:2001-09-25
USA
reply to SDKiwi

said by SDKiwi:

You should see an improvement [more bonded channels] this week if you live in the Chula Vista/National City area.

I received a Call from Cox asking how my service was yesterday, I think to highlight some upgrades. Noticed I have all 8 channels bonded (Downstream). I don't live in those areas (La Mesa), but hey, its all good.

Now if only Cox would bond upstream+boost our upload Cloud computing/storage is increasing our upload requirements.

PS I'm at the maximum Tier. Ultra/Super/whatever
--
"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." - Friedrich Nietzsche
"'It's the law' is just an excuse for the unintelligent and unimaginative to remain that way" - Me

Dano

@cox.net

Will COX San Diego ever hire some quality people that can clean up the CR***Y signal in san diego? In the last 2 days I got 400thousand correctable errors and 1200 uncorrectable errors but they told me smoke ping don't reflect and packet loss. The screen shot they sent me looks like they edited it in about 3 places? And its not just my home my office has 65% packet loss we had a guy out last year from cox to clean the office modem up I aske how far can you run RG6 before you have to use the larger cable ? responce was I don't no.

Dano

@cox.net

Has COX turned off logs on the Docsis 3 modems? My old surfboard updated every few hours. My ney COX supplied modem hasent updated logs since I rebooted it oct,14,12

nobogies

join:2012-09-20
Mountain View, CA
reply to Jameson

I will be down in San Diego next week and need to help my daughter troubleshoot her bandwidth. She is not an ultimate tier, but has a Docsis 3 modem. Should I see bonded downstream channels even on a modem of a customer who has ~20Mbps service? Any thoughts on must have stuff running on my laptop?

I hate playing SysAdmin.

SDKiwi
VIP
join:2002-05-27
El Cajon, CA
kudos:2
reply to hoozdapimp

Let me know if you see some extra downstreams tomorrow.... a temp fix in a part of East County to add some additional downstreams, but not a full 8 D3 Downstreams yet in that area.