Search similar:

uniqs

anon972
@rr.com

anon972

Anon

$30/m for 10mbit ?

in total i pay $60 for internet and standard cable

$30 is for standard cable - i can live with that.. i have about 7 tv's hooked up and the 1-99 analog channels are good enough; i can live without having to rent all those damn boxes and pay extra for hdtv

but the $30 for 10mbit sounds like a ripoff since i have a relative who lives in Ft. Worth, where there is less competition, yet he pays the same for way faster internet..

Charter offers 30mbit for $30 month:

»www.charter.com/internet ··· overview

bitemeboy
join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY

bitemeboy

That's what I pay. I have relatives that live all over the world and pay whatever. So quit whining and head over to Charter.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

1 edit

PowerMac to anon972

to anon972
Yup, I also pay $60 for internet and basic digital cable. Just wish that TWC will bump up the speed mostly on upload side. Most bigger cable providers now offer now standard internet with at least 2mbps upload. And we still have one mbps. Overall, Im still happy with TWC and I couldn't imagine going back to At&t.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

The flip side of faster 'net speeds is higher prices. Off-promo, you won't find a $30 tier on Comcast. $60 Internet-only buys you 15/2 or so on Comcast. TWC offered that tier for $50 standalone, and now hits 20/2 for $60 or less.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to anon972

to anon972
said by anon972 :

$30 is for standard cable

but the $30 for 10mbit sounds like a ripoff

I used to pay just over $20 for standard cable, but here, NTSC standard had far fewer channels than 1-99. Broadcast, TBS, WGN, HLN, a few others, constantly dwindling.

I pay $30 per month for 10 Mbps on a 12-month promotion.

Here, the rack rate for 12 Mbps UVerse is about $45, and they sell you a modem for $100. You can't get a modem anywhere else.

Cable internet rack rates are similar, maybe $42 for 10 Mbps, and you get the modem free for 6 months. $2.50 a month after that, or you can buy your own from the source of your choice as long as it's on the approved CPE list.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to anon972

Premium Member

to anon972
OK, so what am I doing wrong? I'm paying $53/mo. for 10/1 on Time Warner here in DFW and yeah, I feel like it's kind of a poor value. For a year I had Turbo 20/2 on a $43/mo. promo, but that's expired now. Time Warner wants like $70 for 20/2 at the regular rate.

AT&T U-verse wants $150 just to install it...forget it; that cannibalizes any savings I'd potentially keep for switching to them.

I do not have and do not want TV service; maybe that's the problem?

ArgMeMatey
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by banditws6:

AT&T U-verse wants $150 just to install it...forget it; that cannibalizes any savings I'd potentially keep for switching to them.

Check the UVerse forum; with AT&T you used to be able to order TV and then cancel TV after 30 days or something like that. That would get you the 3800 modem, for which you would still pay a rental fee, but then at least you'll get the promo rate on VDSL internet.

I've gotten conflicting messages about buying a 3600HGV modem secondhand and getting it activated, but that would ultimately be cheaper, too.

Since AT&T stopped giving me retention deals my current strategy is to switch back and forth between AT&T and Time Warner to get "switching" promos. We'll see how many years that can work ...

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
said by banditws6:

OK, so what am I doing wrong? I'm paying $53/mo. for 10/1 on Time Warner here in DFW and yeah, I feel like it's kind of a poor value. For a year I had Turbo 20/2 on a $43/mo. promo, but that's expired now. Time Warner wants like $70 for 20/2 at the regular rate.

I'm in the same boat. $63/mo for internet only (the 20/2 Turbo package) as I'm grandfathered in at $10/mo extra for the Turbo upgrade. I've been wanting to upgrade to Extreme, but it really rubs me the wrong way to be paying so much for so little. I really wish this was a Comcast area! I may call them later to see what kind of deal I can get for Extreme...

/M

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
I'm paying 50-something and I don't even get a full 1 up.

Hmm, maybe I should call and bitch about it.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to banditws6

to banditws6
said by banditws6:

Turbo is not $70 regular rate that is extreme 30/5. I believe that Turbo is $60 regular rate if bundled after promotion ends.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by motorola870:

I believe that Turbo is $60 regular rate if bundled after promotion ends.

said by banditws6:

Yeah, read the whole post. $70/mo sounds about right for the current after-promo rate. They killed the old $10 Turbo package and dropped the word "Plus" from the $20 Turbo Plus package, so the current "Turbo" package is base rate ($53) + $20. Non-promo 30/5 Extreme is base+$30 or $83/mo.

/M

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
said by mackey:

I'm in the same boat. $63/mo for internet only (the 20/2 Turbo package) as I'm grandfathered in at $10/mo extra for the Turbo upgrade. I've been wanting to upgrade to Extreme, but it really rubs me the wrong way to be paying so much for so little. I really wish this was a Comcast area! I may call them later to see what kind of deal I can get for Extreme...

Coincidentally I just moved from a Comcast area a couple years ago. There I was getting 12 mbps for the same money, but their billing and service reliability was a nightmare, so I actually feel better off right now. I don't even really need wideband for what I do (I barely need more than 10/1) but found 20/2 was really a nice sweet spot for the year that I had it. But at $70 a month my personal opinion is that it's just completely ridiculous.

Switching back and forth from U-verse and Time Warner each year sounds like the way to go to maximize promo rates, but it's hard for me to make that initial AT&T leap. Between the install fees (or the chicanery with ordering/canceling services to try and sidestep them), the setup complexity, the fact that I've never had POTS at this house and don't know anything about the quality of the phone lines, and AT&T's "legendary" unreliability...well, I tend to feel like messing with it isn't worth the hassle. But the neighbors all have U-verse and like it, so maybe I'll try it sometime.

ArgMeMatey
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by banditws6:

... it's hard for me to make that initial AT&T leap. Between the install fees (or the chicanery with ordering/canceling services to try and sidestep them), the setup complexity, the fact that I've never had POTS at this house and don't know anything about the quality of the phone lines, and AT&T's "legendary" unreliability...well, I tend to feel like messing with it isn't worth the hassle. But the neighbors all have U-verse and like it, so maybe I'll try it sometime.

I believe they still offer a money-back guarantee, though you should verify that and read all of the terms before ordering.

Just don't change or cancel your current service until you're satisfied UVerse is running well enough to rely upon. The UVerse forum here is very helpful in cutting through the fog of dealing with AT&T.

You're right, nothing is fast or simple with AT&T. However I did find that with VDSL UVerse they had improved customer service quite a bit from the early days of ADSL and POTS. They now offer some IM support, and the premise tech and line tech that I dealt with did everything they could to get my line running consistently.

Even the accounting people got my credits to "stick" properly the first time, which was a constant challenge with ADSL. Their front-line people have a tough job, akin to welding nickel-sized plates over holes in a rusting battleship.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

1 recommendation

banditws6

Premium Member

said by ArgMeMatey:

Just don't change or cancel your current service until you're satisfied UVerse is running well enough to rely upon. The UVerse forum here is very helpful in cutting through the fog of dealing with AT&T.

Absolutely essential advice, and definitely the way I would go if I made any switch -- because I have to say that my Time Warner service has been very reliable in the past couple years. I'll stop by the U-verse forum here and do a little info gathering. I'd honestly like to make the leap because I do enjoy trying new things.

It wasn't until a couple weeks ago that I even had my address green-lit in AT&T's system for U-verse eligibility. They kept insisting (even over the phone) that I couldn't get service here, but one day I caught an AT&T engineer in the alley hooking up my neighbors and found out that half the block has service! I called AT&T back, gave the rep my neighbor's address and they had me greenlit in a day. Wacky.

One thing's for sure, I'd definitely have an easier time getting a deal if I intended to bundle with TV services. Just don't have a use for TV anymore...between two jobs and a 9-month-old at home, there's no time to watch!

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to mackey

to mackey
said by mackey:

said by motorola870:

I believe that Turbo is $60 regular rate if bundled after promotion ends.

said by banditws6:

Yeah, read the whole post. $70/mo sounds about right for the current after-promo rate. They killed the old $10 Turbo package and dropped the word "Plus" from the $20 Turbo Plus package, so the current "Turbo" package is base rate ($53) + $20. Non-promo 30/5 Extreme is base+$30 or $83/mo.

/M

North Texas has turbo at $63 as we never has turbo plus and Extreme was priced at $65 and then it increased to $70. Turbo plus was only available in Socal and Hawaii.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

All I know is, as an unbundled Time Warner customer with Internet services only, going up from Standard 10/1 to Turbo 20/2 adds $20 a month. If I'm paying $53 right now, that's ~$73 for Turbo, ~$83 for Extreme 30 and ~$103 for Extreme 50.

(My "above the line" cost for Standard is $49.99 but of course taxes and such bring it to $53.)

If Turbo were $10 higher than Standard instead of $20 more, I would probably be on it...
Andrew LB
join:2005-10-10
Seal Beach, CA

Andrew LB

Just so all you guys know, anyone who was "grandfathered" in with the old $10 per month additional charge for Roadrunner Turbo has a 15mbps connection, not 20mbps.

I had roadrunner Turbo since it first came out here in SoCal and while speed tests said I was getting 20+... yesterday when I bought my own Motorola SB6141 modem, they hooked it up and suddenly I couldn't get test to peak higher than 15mbps. After many calls, some shouting.. and them still not admitting how in 2008 the president of TWC in Orange County, CA actually gave ALL subscribers to Roadrunner turbo a "complimentary speed increase".

Long story short... i used to hit 20-25mbps in on speedtest.net and now i hit 15mbps.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to banditws6

to banditws6
said by banditws6:

All I know is, as an unbundled Time Warner customer with Internet services only, going up from Standard 10/1 to Turbo 20/2 adds $20 a month. If I'm paying $53 right now, that's ~$73 for Turbo, ~$83 for Extreme 30 and ~$103 for Extreme 50.

(My "above the line" cost for Standard is $49.99 but of course taxes and such bring it to $53.)

If Turbo were $10 higher than Standard instead of $20 more, I would probably be on it...

You know that you are paying an extra $5-10 for internet only convenience right?
motorola870

motorola870 to Andrew LB

to Andrew LB
said by Andrew LB:

Just so all you guys know, anyone who was "grandfathered" in with the old $10 per month additional charge for Roadrunner Turbo has a 15mbps connection, not 20mbps.

I had roadrunner Turbo since it first came out here in SoCal and while speed tests said I was getting 20+... yesterday when I bought my own Motorola SB6141 modem, they hooked it up and suddenly I couldn't get test to peak higher than 15mbps. After many calls, some shouting.. and them still not admitting how in 2008 the president of TWC in Orange County, CA actually gave ALL subscribers to Roadrunner turbo a "complimentary speed increase".

Long story short... i used to hit 20-25mbps in on speedtest.net and now i hit 15mbps.

this does not apply to North Texas we got automatic 20/2 upgrades from TWC on turbo for free until the price increased about 8 dollars to $63 also we have turbo about 10 dollars cheaper than socal due not having the turbo plus tier and this is with bundling with TV add about another 5-10 dollars without tv.
Framework43
join:2010-12-21

Framework43 to anon972

to anon972
Here in NYC, I'm paying $55 for 10/1 ._.
I wish I was getting that for $30.
I feel ripped off, I want Vz Fios so bad ;_; or I'm just going to wait a few years and move to a Google Fiber zone
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

Radisc359 to Andrew LB

to Andrew LB
said by Andrew LB:

I believe it has to do with having a docsis 3 modem, my friend with a docsis 2 modem still gets powerboost, but I do not with my SB6141. We both have that grandfathered 15Mbps Turbo plan.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini to Andrew LB

Premium Member

to Andrew LB
said by Andrew LB:

That is because powerboost isnt supported on DOCSIS 3 modems at least here in texas anyway and probably everywhere else. It was at first but not anymore.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to anon972

to anon972
You guys pay 60$ for Internet and TV , I pay 59.95$ for 50/5 lol
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac to CptGemini

to CptGemini
But I do get powerboost on Motorola SBG6580 with Standard internet in SoCal. I do not have SBG6580 now since I dont want to pay WIFI fee
snedo
join:2008-07-20
Hilliard, OH

1 recommendation

snedo to anon972

to anon972
What's so bad about 10/1? You can stream HD Netflix streams, play smoothly online, load webpages and have reasonably fast downloads...

Though if you have a couple of bandwidth hogs in the house, I guess I could understand.

I pay for the 10/1 connection and I'm perfectly happy. And I use the internet constantly.