Search similar:

uniqs
djrobsd
join:2002-01-24
San Diego, CA

djrobsd

$150 u-verse internet installation charge

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get AT&T to waive this charge? I have no interest in cable or phone, just want internet, but $150 seems a little steep especially since my building is pre-wired for U-Verse service. The cable company does self-install on internet for FREE, so I'm not quite sure why they feel the need to charge so much. I understand there may be more involved, but since I live in a brand new building that is pre-wired for U-Verse, my guess is that it's not going to be too involved.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas how to get AT&T to reduce, or waive the install, or at least give a promotion card back.

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed

Premium Member

Order TV service and cancel it the second month in. I've used that trick a few times and have had no trouble at all - you'll just drop off the STBs at the UPS store and that'll be the end of it.

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to djrobsd

to djrobsd
Your new building may have Uverse pre-wired as fiber to the premise. In that scenario, you can't do a self install because the fiber termination point will have to be installed in your home and ATT only leases the ONT ready modems.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to djrobsd

Premium Member

to djrobsd
Various methods... call and complain, order TV and then cancel it, order a lower (self-installable) plan and upgrade after it's running, order by phone or in person at an AT&T store, etc.

Althlon
@sbcglobal.net

Althlon to djrobsd

Anon

to djrobsd
I went in person to the local AT&T store and ordered it there. The rep took care of all the extra charges for me on the spot.

I have the 3600HGV and the 12/1.5 connection. The total cost to me was $0.00 for the install and equipment.
djrobsd
join:2002-01-24
San Diego, CA

djrobsd to Forosnai

to Forosnai
No free lunch for me this time, but since I am transfering my service from my old location, the guy was kind enough to give me the promotional pricing ($18 off per month) for the next year, so I come out ahead.. Thank god.

Looks like I'll be getting a new modem, maybe I'll sell my old one in the market place.
reno1217
join:2011-05-01

reno1217 to djrobsd

to djrobsd
the way i got away with the install charge is i got the 6mbps plan (only plan they will allow a self install on) as soon as it went live upgraded to a higher plan and no install charges!
botp
join:1999-10-02
Chicago, IL

botp

With the 6 self install plan, is there still an equipment fee?

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by botp:

With the 6 self install plan, is there still an equipment fee?

If you order internet-only online, the 3600 modem fee is $100.

If I were ordering first time, I'd go into the store as recommended above, and see what they could do for you.
eugeneua
join:2004-09-11
Atlanta, GA

eugeneua to djrobsd

to djrobsd
I called the sales and was offered 24 mbit service @55/month with free modem and free install. Price is guaranteed for two years.

Have not gotten the first bill, but I have the sales transaction pretty well documented, so AT&T will have to stick to what was promised.