how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AnnaS8

join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD

Speeding Ticket/Driving on Suspended License Question

First a little background...About a year ago my sister borrowed my truck while she was moving. While I was driving her car I was stopped for her tags being suspended for not taking it through emissions. The cop told me my best bet was to request the waver hearing and they more than likely lower the fine. My sister said she was not aware but she would pay for any fines that I get since I was in her car. The next day I took her care through emissions and passed with no problems. I also mailed in the request for the waver hearing and then forgot all about it until I received a letting from the MVA informing me my license was suspended for failing to appear. When I called court they told me I now had to pay the whole fine to request a new wavier hearing. Which upset me since I sent my request in months ago. So I told my sister and she first laughed at me for not just paying it to start with since it was no points. She said she would go pay it for me to get it over with. I said ok but then thinking out loud...I added that it was BS since they lost my request and maybe I should get a lawyer.

Now flash forward to tonight...I ironically borrowed her car since mine was in the shop. I got pulled over. I didn't realize I was speeding until I saw the lights. Not that I am trying to deny it because I was speeding. I was doing 71 in a 55. Her car is a bit more peppy then my truck. The state trooper came back with a ticket and said to request a hearing. In my head I was thinking this new system doesn't work. Thanked him and then left.

So I called my sister after it all went down and she then informed me that she had not paid the previous fines because she thought I was going to request another hearing and fight it since I never got a court date based on that I said I would be getting a lawyer.

So what that means is...My license is still suspended and I could have been taken into custody for driving on a suspended license. Now I am not understanding why I wasn't. Now my plan is the first thing this morning I am going to go pay that fine off so it is not around when I go for the hearing for the speeding ticket. Since I haven't had any speeding ticket in close to 20 years I am hoping for PBJ.

My question is this...Can they come after my for driving on suspended after the fact? Even if I clear the suspension up will it negatively effect my chances for the PBJ? Thanks in advance.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2

I think you would be better off asking trying to resolve this here
»www.courts.state.md.us/district/···map.html

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
reply to AnnaS8

I think your screwed but head on over to Rowe Boulevard and find out for sure, they can't lock you up for asking questions.

If you need a lawyer, I have a family friend in Gingerville.

--
July is National Ice Cream Month

AnnaS8

Annapolis, MD
reply to grobinette

said by grobinette:

I think you would be better off asking trying to resolve this here
»www.courts.state.md.us/district/···map.html

Yes that is my plan to take care of the fine the moment they open.

AnnaS8

Annapolis, MD
reply to Coma

said by Coma:

I think your screwed but head on over to Rowe Boulevard and find out for sure, they can't lock you up for asking questions.

If you need a lawyer, I have a family friend in Gingerville.

Yeah I think I am too but I was hoping. I am sure they will give me the "It is your responsibility to make sure those things are taken care of" speech. Which they are correct. I just hope I am wrong.

deltat2000
Timor Omnis Abesto
Premium
join:2000-04-13
reply to Coma

Small world, I'm living over on Forest Drive in Annapolis now!

Your friend in Gingerville wouldn't be named Mike by any chance?
--
The Future Is Purchased By The Present!

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by deltat2000:

Your friend in Gingerville wouldn't be named Mike by any chance?

Nope, HER name is Elana.

--
July is National Ice Cream Month

SqueeksDad
I Miss Her
Premium
join:2002-09-14
Hyattsville, MD
reply to AnnaS8

Curiosity question does your drivers license have the correct address on it? MVA and the courts will send all notices to the address on the license ONLY, they will not forward that mail. Maryland requires you to notify them of any change in address, you can do it online or at any branch. This might explain why you didn't get the notice for the hearing/trial.
--
Ways to Relieve Stress #10. Make up a language and ask people for directions.

AnnaS8

Annapolis, MD

said by SqueeksDad:

Curiosity question does your drivers license have the correct address on it? MVA and the courts will send all notices to the address on the license ONLY, they will not forward that mail. Maryland requires you to notify them of any change in address, you can do it online or at any branch. This might explain why you didn't get the notice for the hearing/trial.

Yes it is the current and correct address. I don't know why I didn't get it either.