spc
Search similar:

uniqs
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

hmm

MY problem is that with stars gone from netflix a lot of movies and programs got dropped from netflix. To gte what I want I would have to pay for a lot of service to get everything and that ends up just as much as my family cable package from cablevision.

Also cablevision recently rearranged their packages to give more of a choice and I got encore added for free.

I guewss for certain areas this works but I do not see cord cutting saving me money in the long run.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by majortom1029:

I guewss for certain areas this works but I do not see cord cutting saving me money in the long run.

Everyone doesn't fit the same profile. Some people cut the cord but expect to find substantially the same content elsewhere (network's site, Hulu, season episodes on DVD with Netflix once they are delayed, etc). Others may get what they can from freely available sources, and just settle for other content to fill the available time void. And finally, some will just say screw it and do something more productive with their time.

We cut the cord several months ago. We don't currently pay for any additional subscriptions (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime). Kids already played video games a decent amount of time, so any subscription during that time is wasted. And the amount of reading the family does as a whole as skyrocketed. If a greatly discounted package became available we might consider it, but I doubt we'd resubscribe at this point.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to majortom1029

to majortom1029
Honestly, if someone came to my house , and I didnt have TV service, Id be embarrassed ! lol Sorry guys, "cutting the cord" will never be the "cool thing to do".

Aside from that, I need my YES channel and HBO. lol.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to majortom1029

Premium Member

to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

MY problem is that with stars gone from netflix a lot of movies and programs got dropped from netflix. To gte what I want I would have to pay for a lot of service to get everything and that ends up just as much as my family cable package from cablevision.

Also cablevision recently rearranged their packages to give more of a choice and I got encore added for free.

Starz being dropped was the best thing that happened to Netflix. That was some of the worst quality content that Netflix had. If all of the Netflix streaming content was like what I saw from the Starz streaming content, I would have dropped Netflix streaming years ago. I always hated when I picked a title and a starz logo showed. Since it looked like crap. So I would just delete it from my queue. Once Starz content was removed from Netflix streaming, it was so much better since I didn't run into crappy looking titles anywhere near as often.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

I agree, Starz HD made my head literally spin on Netflix, and it is still that way on-demand. No point in taking Dramamine before every movie.

RockCake
Premium Member
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
Honestly, I never noticed the difference with Starz content. But I don't own an HD television.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

ArrayList to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
Who cares about what the "cool" thing to do is? It is unfortunate that people really never get out of high school mode.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul to cdru

to cdru
said by cdru:

Everyone doesn't fit the same profile. Some people cut the cord but expect to find substantially the same content elsewhere (network's site, Hulu, season episodes on DVD with Netflix once they are delayed, etc). Others may get what they can from freely available sources, and just settle for other content to fill the available time void. And finally, some will just say screw it and do something more productive with their time.

You left out the people who simply go to The Pirate Bay and download whatever they want. You can't deny that that's happening.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by Rekrul:

You left out the people who simply go to The Pirate Bay and download whatever they want. You can't deny that that's happening.

That part was covered by "Others may get what they can from freely available sources". Not everything on every channel is available on TPB or other non-legal sources, especially in a timely manner. Some series on the lesser watched networks just don't generate the interested to get them pirated. Or time-sensitive content such as sporting events aren't all that useful when they don't get posted until at least several hours after the event has finalized. Some people might want to see their favorite football team still when they play MNF, blacked out, or they live out of market, but most probably just watch the highlights online or read about it.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless to ArrayList

to ArrayList
BQUOTE= Italian926...Honestly, if someone came to my house , and I didnt have TV service, Id be embarrassed ! lol Sorry guys, "cutting the cord" will never be the "cool thing to do",,,,,,,,,

Who said cutting the cord is not a "cool thing to do", I understand you may need your HBO fix but for others Its all about implementation....

Example... I cut the cord yrs ago in favor of OTA and media player streaming. At one of my residences I have Comcast business class ( no cap) My two phone lines are 1 Vonage for business line, 2 nettalk for home phone line. ( cell with TMO). there are 5 TVs ( 1 in a guest room) in my house all flat screen ( LED & LCD) and all have a connection to the OTA antenna, and all TV's have there own Sony Media player attached and all wireless networked to the home network ( SMP N100 & N200 DLNA supported).

All media players have access to Crackle, HULU and Netflix for Video streaming (I pay for the last 2). They all have a bevy of radio apps from slacker to pandora on each media player Not to mention my android phone has the Sony's app on it that allows me to control all 5 media players at any time from my phone ( never a lost remote). MY Home network is separated by use of a different router than my business network, and the home network is set up on DLNA in which I also have a 2TB WD my book live networked in where I store all our family movies videos pictures music and ( cough.. digital copy movies), and I have access to all of that from one phone and can stream it to any TV set, laptop, or digital device in my house!

When I show off that I/they can watch regular TV for your local info and news then just switch over to the media player for almost everything else similar to on demand , that I never lose my remote All I have to do is pick up the house phone and call it, and That I can stream my family moves to any TV in the house, Lets just say I've had family, friends, and colleagues over and have shown them my set up and they all have though it was quite cooool !

Not to mention a Colleague and his wife stayed the night quite some time ago ( due to a weather related flight cancellation and it being to expensive to book an extra night hotel stay). They resided in the guest room and before I went to bed I checked in on them to see if they needed anything, my colleague was happily in bed watching a tv show from netflix from the media player, and his wife was on her Ipad streaming a new movie from my WD book live that she so desperately wanted to see but was not available on demand from there cable provider yet. before he left, He asked to make sure I send him my home network specs as he wants to set a similar one himself.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk

Premium Member

1%'er?
bka591959
join:2012-06-20
Colorado Springs, CO

bka591959 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
Hahahahahahahaha, you think paying a cable/sat bill makes you Cool? Hahahahahahahahaha, you just made my day!

My 14 year old son and all his friends think I am the Coolest Dad around because we can watch all the Cool shows (The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Falling Skies, Fringe to name a few) any time they want, all commercial free on phones, laptops and TVs.

Dude you need to get a Clue!
bka591959

bka591959 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
I have to admit I do miss Stars, but I am embarrassed to admit it was just because of Spartacus

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless to Jim Kirk

to Jim Kirk
LOL yes my house in the suburbs of Chicago I am that 1% er, anyway the sad part is as I said one of my residences. At my "snowbird" residence in Central FL I have my elderly grandparent living in the house ( so it does not stay abandoned) and there is no good OTA signal in that area what-so-ever, so the only thing I keep there is basic cable for them on Comcast and the lowest channel package that includes the ONLY one channel they like to watch...WGN.... ( look up where thats broad casted for free at) ... GO FIGURE!

You win some, you loose some...

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

Mizzat to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Honestly, if someone came to my house , and I didnt have TV service, Id be embarrassed ! lol Sorry guys, "cutting the cord" will never be the "cool thing to do".

Poor people have big TVs, rich people have big libraries.

NWOhio2
@buckeyecom.net

NWOhio2 to bka591959

Anon

to bka591959
LMAO! you made me laugh! i can do that and still keep cable!

And you son and his friends must have low standards on "cool" because anyone can do it- it's not cool. it's called adopting. And the "article" is about people dropping CaTV NOT Dish/DirecTV. Which proves my point- that they don't count DirecTV/Dish in with "cord cutting". This story is flawed like all the rest of them. Bloggers need to come up with new things to talk about.

caseywor
join:2004-04-19
Mobile, AL

caseywor to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
Deleted double post.
caseywor

caseywor to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
Some of the most "cool", "hip" type people I know don't have cable anymore except for internet. They spend more time outside, or taking part in hobbies. After my contract and good deal from Mediacom ends next year, there are no guarantees I will keep TV, I think I can save that money each month and find a new hobby to do with the savings, and get on with life without so much TV. I find myself watching the same 4 channels or so anyway. I think there is a significant number of people who fit another cord cutting class, the "we watch too much TV anyway" group. Netflix and Hulu are cool, but do we even have to have them on all the time to stay entertained?
fuzzholio
join:2002-04-30
Shingle Springs, CA

fuzzholio to ArrayList

to ArrayList
yeah i cut the cord back in 2009 when i was laid from a company that i gave 13 years of service to... built me a nice HTPC with bluray and i stream everything to my 52" and when people come over to my house and i tell them how i stream from netflix,Hulu,Crackle etc. and how much i save they tell me"that's pretty cool"...
fairlycrazy6
join:2011-03-07
Broken Arrow, OK

fairlycrazy6 to majortom1029

to majortom1029

Couldn't find a source for FX

My problem with cutting the cord was I couldn't find a reliable source for FX so i went back.
It also hurt during football season last year.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to NWOhio2

Premium Member

to NWOhio2

Re: hmm

Interesting... when people see my media center PC with my library of on-demand movies & TV shows from my network drive (not to mention Netflix) they are always amazed. They have no clue such a thing was even possible. The usual first question is 'But where does the cable wire plug in?'

You seem to forget that a large percentage of people (in the US at least) are technologically dumbed-down by the Apples of the corporate world; they reach more customers that way. Trust me... not anyone can do it.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul to cdru

to cdru
said by cdru:

Not everything on every channel is available on TPB or other non-legal sources, especially in a timely manner. Some series on the lesser watched networks just don't generate the interested to get them pirated.

I know what you mean. Try and find copies of R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour!

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2 to buddahbless

to buddahbless
said by buddahbless:
channel package that includes the ONLY one channel they like to watch...WGN.... ( look up where thats broad casted for free at) ... GO FIGURE!
Then feed them the chicago OTA ala your own aereo. A Haupaggue card, and some software.
bka591959
join:2012-06-20
Colorado Springs, CO

bka591959 to NWOhio2

to NWOhio2
And I USED to do those same things while paying the cable bill. Then I woke up and said "Why am I paying cable for add ridden, forced to pay for content I have absolutely no interest in, and crappy service when I can get all the content we watch with out paying them"? The answer was simple, quit being a cable drone and cut the cord!

Some people just like the hive mind I guess
bka591959

bka591959 to caseywor

to caseywor
Same here. All the cool and hip people I know watch what they want, when and if they want. They refuse to pay the cable/sat company to keep appointments and watch commercials in order to do so.
It's a "Cool and Hip life style"! (That's a dig at those old farts ITALIAN926 and NWOhio2;)

Savage Lucy
Premium Member
join:2003-08-12
Inner Space

2 edits

Savage Lucy to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

I cut the cord in December 2010 and fu@k whats cool. But you want to know whats truly cool? Saving $200 each month.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to bka591959

to bka591959
I'm cooler and hipper than you and your friends.
I watch TV at work.

I'm sure you make 7 figures and your Secretary watches TV for you but my clients will make you pay my cable bill. Or break your legs.