Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

CUP of salt please, Karl

the problem with quote survey is their is then little context of how the survey was done.
»www.techbargains.com/infographic···he-cable

1640 people who took the survey, while being offered a $100 prize at a site dedicate to bargain hunters.
They claim/the results show 3 in 10 have cut the cord...sometime in the last five years, even if you thought all the answers are truthful, 30% seems more like the number who discontinued while moving, or unemployed (most were in the under 25 group) or living with other, or got no TV set or moving to tibet or ???.
True cordcutters (those with the income to support their longterm existing subscription that then CHOOSE to permanently quit AND use alternate sources to avoid commerial sources is more likely around 3% and 33% of that would be 1%. which probably is a realistic "I will never return!" number, for those that actual intend to follow through.
Lots of people skip breakfast and have this "Hey man! I'm fasting! additude, at least until they walk in to the sub shop at lunch. "hey man I'm starving, let's get a couple footlongs! )
temporary displacement is more common than longterm commitment.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

Re: CUP of salt please, Karl

said by tshirt:

the problem with quote survey is their is then little context of how the survey was done.
»www.techbargains.com/infographic···he-cable

1640 people who took the survey, while being offered a $100 prize at a site dedicate to bargain hunters.

They claim/the results show 3 in 10 have cut the cord...

sometime in the last five years, even if you thought all the answers are truthful, 30% seems more like the number who discontinued while moving, or unemployed (most were in the under 25 group) or living with other, or got no TV set or moving to tibet or ???.

This SURVEY is patently absurd on its claim that 30% of cable customers have cut the cord. If that were even 5%, the cable companies would be going crazy to get customers back.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

Squire James

@embarqhsd.net

The survey said 3/10 of cable cutters won't come back. There's no indication in this statistic how many were cable cutters to begin with.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by Squire James :

The survey said 3/10 of cable cutters won't come back. There's no indication in this statistic how many were cable cutters to begin with.

That isn't what the web site says. Who knows what they MEANT to say.

--

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1

The Cable companies will NEVER lower their prices.
--

Romney equals Epic Fail!

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
They are probably including Satellite/ Telco defections, lol. The magic of words.
desarollo

join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI
The total number of respondents seems to be a woefully insufficient sample to infer across the population of all cable and satellite subscribers. However, refining the population to be people who are bargain hunters who use the internet, I'm sure the survey has relevance.

30% of that population has cut the cord, and 30% of those people would never go back. If only we knew what percentage of the total cable/satellite subscriber base were represented by the population of bargain hunters who use the internet, we'd have some fine numbers.

The problem with cable TV is that the programming is abysmal.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by desarollo:

The total number of respondents seems to be a woefully insufficient sample to infer across the population of all cable and satellite subscribers.

they use fewer numbers when they conduct presidential election polls.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by 88615298:

said by desarollo:

The total number of respondents seems to be a woefully insufficient sample to infer across the population of all cable and satellite subscribers.

It isn't the size of the sample that is the problem here, it is how the sample was selected. It wasn't a random sample. It was a sample based on who went to a particular web site(IOW self-selected). Polls like that have limited value.
--

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by 88615298:

said by desarollo:

And Dewey wins! or not

it's about selecting the representive group of respondents, which questions, in which order, weight how much.

even the best of those small samples have 3-5 perscent margin of error (at least) in predicting a large population.
Raw numbers of any size mean nothing with inturpolation,

i.e. a guesstimate

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with the methodology of the polls I was merely responding to the post that stated the size of the sample was inadequate. So thanks you two for the lesson on statistics but I learned all that stuff over 25 years ago.
Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
I can easily afford my Dish subscription but canceled 3 years ago

Too much garbage for $40/mon
I only watched 3 channels beyond what I got off air

I would buy my own hardware and subscribe for $10 for 3 channels

Until then, no pay TV for us...

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Liberty:

OK, there's one.
DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001
join:2003-01-19

said by tshirt:

said by Liberty:

OK, there's one.

I can easily afford cable but cut the cord 3-4 years ago. Amusingly, Nielsen (the TV rating service) paid me to let my TV be monitored *after* I had cut the cord. I warned them I didn't watch much.

NWOhio2

@buckeyecom.net
it also states CABLE. Does not say anything about DirecTV or Dish or Telco IPTV.