uniqs
share rss forum feed

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

I'd Consider It

FIOS is currently expanding its service footprint where I live. If it ever does make it to my house I might consider going back if I could get a good deal, and play Verizon and Comcast against each other to get the best deal.

But right now, I'm staying cable-tv-free.
--
Romney 2012 - Put an adult in charge.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

And where you live counts too.
with out basic cable I get zero over the air channels, not even locals so limited basic which only adds $2.83 to my broadband total is a no brainer yes. So I'm not a cord cutter, but they aren't making much money on me either.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

said by tshirt:

And where you live counts too.
with out basic cable I get zero over the air channels, not even locals so limited basic which only adds $2.83 to my broadband total is a no brainer yes. So I'm not a cord cutter, but they aren't making much money on me either.

Absolutely. I did "get lucky" with the off air stuff but I needed 2 antennas (one large outdoor antenna aimed towards DC and a smaller cannibalized dipole antenna aimed towards Baltimore) to get all of the off-air major networks. I might modify that second antenna with another home-made rig to get more channels out of Baltimore.

Only the fact that I can "geek it out" in real life is what makes such an arrangement workable. Otherwise, I'd have kept "basic cable" too.
--
Romney 2012 - Put an adult in charge.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
reply to pnh102
I wouldn't recommend going back. If you decide to anyway, the best way to 'play' them (either Verizon or cable) is to put in a cancellation request for 1 month after you call... tell them you are going to the other guys instead. Around the third week, you will receive a call from the customer retention department. They can make deals that the CSRs aren't authorized to do. You won't get service for free but you can certainly have a better deal than most. They are also more inclined to give you stuff for free (extra boxes, DVR's, certain channels, etc) than lower your price. Once they have your money coming in, they want to keep it (or raise it).