uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

1 edit

[Help] Painting over rust spots - Primer / Scratch repair pen

I'm moving onto aesthetic repairs on my car now that I finished on urgent mechanical repairs.

I have a few rust spots on the front of my hood between half an inch and an inch in diameter.

I also have long hair line scratches along the side of my car.

Now I know exactly the color code for my car and I also don't care that the paint I will use won't be as "faded" as the rest of the car. It's only for "good enough" aesthetics.

Note before helping me out with the questions below, that I know I have to remove the rust and sand down to the metal.

Question 1
Why is it that primers come in colors? In the store that carries my color for the paint, they only have grey, red and black primers.
My paint color is green. Would grey primer do okay?

Question 2
I'm afraid a paint spray can would be too much just to cover such small rust spots. Since I already need a scratch repair pen, can I use the same pen for coloring over the rust spots.

Question 3
I have areas where the paint is bubbling (Rust UNDER the paint that can't be seen). Should I just wait until the rust comes out, or should I go ahead and scrape off that paint and rust to paint a new coat? I'm not sure it's worth the effort as the issue isn't noticeable unless up close.

Question 4
The underside of some doors is rusting off pretty badly. It's not visible when the doors are closed, but I want to stop the progress. Would scraping off the rust and spraying primer slow down the rusting process? Can bondo be applied in there even if it's heavy contact area, as it is part of the door that gets into contact with the rest of the car when you close the door?

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

Re: [Help] Painting over rust spots - Primer / Scratch repair pe

If the rust is blistering in those areas applying paint to the surface won't do anything to stop it. There is little solid metal left to sand down to.
I grew up in the US Rust Belt, we called it cancer.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
Are you talking about the hood or doors?

Doors I can manage with a crappy job. The rust is not visible unless you look under the door.

If it's the hood, it's not so bad. They are rust spots and not "eating away" rust. Even if I have to sand down all the way through the hood, I can always use bondo tape from under the hood, then bondo on top to fill the hole, and paint.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to alkizmo
Well some pics would help us see what the issue is.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
Ok I will when i get back home this evening.

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to alkizmo
For the undersides of the doors you might want to try rust converter available at home improvement stores. It'll chemically convert the rust into something you can spray new paint on top of.

It won't be a permanent fix but it will slow it down better than anything else short of getting it fixed professionally.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by MooJohn:

It won't be a permanent fix but it will slow it down better than anything else short of getting it fixed professionally.

As long as it prevents the door from becoming non-functional before the car finishes its life (3-4 years at best).

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to alkizmo
Click for full size
Here are two examples of rust spots.
First one is pretty evident that I'd sand off the rust and spray over it.

The other one (A few places like this) is trickier. I assume I'd have to remove all the paint over the rust and sand out the rust before proceeding. That sort of rusting is on arches (and some on the border of the windshield).
Expand your moderator at work