share rss forum feed

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Blizz backs Valve's critical view of Win8

Not good news for gamers hoping to upgrade their OS when Windows 8 drops. Looks like the best path forward is keeping Win7 as your primary OS and avoiding Win8 for the near future.

This may be the "tock" that we all skip, a la Vista.

»www.tomshardware.com/news/Rob-Pa···=RSS-181
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
Win 7 has still long ways to go. Not looking for an OS change for now thanks to this news.

It is all about the damn M$ store.
--
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok
"Xbox Live and Windows Store, both of which threaten Steam's stronghold in the PC gaming sector, will be native platforms within Windows 8"

Isn't this the type of crap that got MS hundreds of millions in fines in the 90s? Now everyone is doing it on mobile (especially Apple) and it is creeping into the desktop and nobody gives a shit.

Perhaps these tech companies have learned to grease the politicians like the telecom and oil companies.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by pnjunction:

Perhaps these tech companies have learned to grease the politicians like the telecom and oil companies.

It's hard to tell how Microsoft is planning on getting away with it, they must have lined something lined up, or maybe they're going to make the argument that they're following the trend rather than making it.

I'll tell you this: I'm glad that Steam on Linux was recently announced.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
If I were blizz of valve I wouldn't worry much, WIN8 is the 3rd coming of WIN-me

ME/Vista/8

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to El Quintron
I'll just stick with Win7 Pro for the future--no reason to upgrade for the next half decade or so...

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Krisnatharok:

I'll just stick with Win7 Pro for the future--no reason to upgrade for the next half decade or so...

It's only there for gaming, and some other minor stuff, so I'm not updating it unless I absolutely have to, I do almost everything on Ubuntu.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I'll wait for a compelling reason.
So far Win8 doesn't have any.

Win7 had that 64bit was better supported (ie XP64 can be a right pita)

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

MS knows people won't be keen to upgrade, like they weren't with Vista, and will likely respond by making the next DirectX version exclusive to the newest windows version again.

Steam can go to Linux but we still need the games. Is there a collection of APIs like DX that will facilitate games on Linux? Is it needed and is anybody working on it?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Maybe but doubtful, most software makers see opensource as non-profit.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to pnjunction
said by pnjunction:

MS knows people won't be keen to upgrade, like they weren't with Vista, and will likely respond by making the next DirectX version exclusive to the newest windows version again.

How much of a motivator is that really, most games are going to function with an older version of DirectX

said by pnjunction:

Steam can go to Linux but we still need the games. Is there a collection of APIs like DX that will facilitate games on Linux? Is it needed and is anybody working on it?

That's a tough one... if they have OpenGL or can be ported to OpenGL then Linux should be a shoe-in, the more Linux games there are, the better it is for everyone.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to pnjunction
The number of games supporting DX11 is abysmal. Even if DX12 is Win8-only, it will be *years* before it is widely available on games, and even longer before most of the games support it.

Hell, I'd give money for DX11 variants (that actually use DX11 capabilities) of my favorite games.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

This ^

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Yep.

Windows 8 is just a sad sad OS.
--
Here's the final bullet,
to put our love to death.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Krisnatharok
Big step now would be for EA to come out against Windows 8. Valve, EA and Blizzard are pretty much the big three of PC gaming. of course MS can just piss on their lawns anyway but with the metro interface I cannot see Win8 being a big hit. It is designed with touch screens in mind but outside of playing games on a phone or tablet nobody is going to reach up and slide their finger around their 30" monitor to do something in a game.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Ya I can just imagien the annoyance of hitting the start button my my keyboard to switch out of a full screen program and instead of a nice non-obtrusive menu I get a full metro steaming pile.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
I don't have a start button on my keyboard. You'd think that within all these 116 keys on my keyboard and not one Start button.
--
Good evening!

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Krisnatharok
Notch says windows 8 is bad too, especially for indie gamer. So thats 2 big name companies speaking out and the largest indie dev, speaking out.

»www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/8/2···ie-games

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to Krisnatharok
Win-xp lasted me around 8 years (01-09) so I think I have at least another 5 with win7....

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Krisnatharok
Actually a good thing about big dev houses turning away from Windows 8 is that if MS requires Windows 8 for Directx 12.. we can at least be assured that DX12 will not be needed for Valve games and blizzard as well.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

theraven146

join:2012-07-25
reply to Krisnatharok
I am a gamer myself. I had no idea of upgrading to Windows 8. But I would have done it any time without knowing this secret. Thanks for the info. Will be happy with my Windows 7 for now.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Krisnatharok
I'm sure Windows 8 will be skipped by many, hence why Microsoft is making it inexpensive to get. I see the massive changes to the new UI being a big issue for people. I'm going to get it and install it. I'll live with it and learn about it, unless there is a major show stopper I'll keep it installed.

This is standard Microsoft. They introduce major changes every other OS. People hate them and then by the next OS the wrinkles have been ironed out enough to get better adoption.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

Actually a good thing about big dev houses turning away from Windows 8 is that if MS requires Windows 8 for Directx 12.. we can at least be assured that DX12 will not be needed for Valve games and blizzard as well.

Well considering that WOW currently defaults to DX9 with an option to enable DX11 I double that DX12 would be used anytime soon.

ohh

join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA
reply to Krisnatharok
No to mention »log.nadim.cc/?p=78

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Krisnatharok
Since the only time I fire up windows is to game, I don't care much about the life cycle of the o/s+patches, and will keep using my current windows for as long as nvidia makes drivers for it, which translates to no $$ from me to MS anytime soon.
--
~ Project Hope ~