uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to Borad

Re: How do you crimp?

I just use a utility knife to strip the cable then two channel lock pliers to put the compression end on.

Can't tell which ones the cable co put on and which ones I put on.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

INtheKnow

@charter.com
said by TheTechGuru:

I just use a utility knife to strip the cable then two channel lock pliers to put the compression end on.

Please don't follow this advice. Proper tools are neccessary to do the job corectly. Using a knife to prep coax cable scores the center conductor resulting in reflections and possibly a standing wave due to the skin effect of RF. These will cause slow data speeds, dropped packets, and loss of digital channels. so while it may look the same it will not perform the same.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by INtheKnow :

said by TheTechGuru:

Please don't follow this advice. Proper tools are neccessary to do the job corectly. Using a knife to prep coax cable scores the center conductor resulting in reflections and possibly a standing wave due to the skin effect of RF. These will cause slow data speeds, dropped packets, and loss of digital channels. so while it may look the same it will not perform the same.

Um no it don't, my utility knife never touches the center conductor, you only need to go about half way though the center insulation to then be able to twist it off by hand.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified