Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to scelli

Re:  

said by scelli:

as hypocritically tasteless as the blatant insistence on using caps in postings, despite the fact of your being more than aware such behavior is rude and totally inconsistent with proper Internet decorum.

if you didn't have a 1999 join date, one would be justified in assuming you were really new here. The above is a DSLR institution.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

pcdebb
RIP dadkins
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Re: PLEASE TELL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS/COWORKERS!!!

yes, the clerk of court will send out a warning. not the police.

SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
| map your city |

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

boognish
Premium
join:2001-09-26
Baton Rouge, LA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Thanks for the important info Dude111 See Profile. I want be falling for that scam now.
--
don't get 2 close 2 my fantasy

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

My keyring is beeping. Should I be worried?

Only if it goes BOOM!. And if it does, you will probably only have a couple of milliseconds to worry before you discover if there is any truth to the "Afterlife Rumor".
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to Thaler

It's all downhill from here.

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Who takes ANYTHING from a person that walks up to you at a gas station? If a person starts talking to me at a gas station I look behind me because I'm guessing they are distracting me while someone else tries to steal something from my car or something.

I remember watching a guy handing out cookies on a street corner and it amazed how many people took them and ate them. Most took them and threw them away on the next street to be polite and some (like me) did not even touch them. But I was amazed at how many ate them.

And as far as snopes ... I also don't take everything they say as gospel. They are a pretty good resource like Wikipedia but you have to let your own brain function also. They are pretty good for factual stuff that is not open to interpretation, however there are some things that are opinion or open to interpretation or point of view that they report as fact based on their view of the world. Snopes is not a computer program. They are people and people have opinions and, like most people, they allow their opinions and views to shade their views of things.

So if you are looking to see if 2+2=4 then yes snopes can be useful because there is no point of view involved. But if you are looking up something that can be viewed 2 ways then no, they are not that good. They have a point of view/agenda and at times it bleeds out. Of course if you agree with it then you might not notice it.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

My keyring is beeping. Should I be worried?

I don't know about beeping, but if you are still pumping gas and your keyring looks like the one below, and it flashes...

(well on second thought you probably wouldn't have time to worry about it).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.
Expand your moderator at work

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

..your keyring looks like the one below, and it flashes...

I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to Sentinel

said by Sentinel:

Who takes ANYTHING from a person that walks up to you at a gas station?

What, you don't? Gas station strangers are the best! They have awesome candy too!

said by Sentinel:

I remember watching a guy handing out cookies on a street corner and it amazed how many people took them and ate them.

Depending on who you ask, there was once upon a time where people did hand out home treats for Halloween. However, one scare story and a generation of candy fear later, and we're afraid of holiday candy that doesn't come encased in stainless steel.

fan13027

join:2008-10-26
Winnipeg, MB
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

I USUALLY DONT LISTEN TO A BLASTED WORD SNOPES SAYS

And I usually don't listen (or read) past the phrase ...

PLEASE TELL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS/COWORKERS!!!

damnit292

@dtra.mil
reply to Blackbird

Damn it for once I hoped that this one true since I could not wait to be approached by one of those folks.
Take the key and then reverse engineer the sucker when I get home.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Sentinel

said by Sentinel:

So if you are looking to see if 2+2=4 then yes snopes can be useful because there is no point of view involved.

The subject of this thread:
quote:
There is a syndicate of criminals presenting themselves as sales promoters who are giving free key-rings holders at gas stations or parking lots. The key ring has a tracking device chip which allows them to follow you.
does not involve a 'point of view'.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

said by NetFixer:

..your keyring looks like the one below, and it flashes...

I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those

The idea is to discharge yourself before you pump the gas; then you wont have to worry about being caught dead.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to dave

Re:  

It is Dude111 who thinks everyone is out to get him

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

(Edited) Never mind, I missed the emphasis on 'is'.

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL

said by dave:

(Edited) Never mind, I missed the emphasis on 'is'.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to Dude111

i DONT have any friends that email me WITH spam. When they do, I tell them stop sending SHIT to my email and they a. remain friends and adhere to the rule or B. they no longer are my friend because they are simply not smart NUFF for my company or attention.
I need some wine with that cheese!!!

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

said by Anav:

i DONT have any friends that email me WITH spam. When they do, I tell them stop sending SHIT to my email and they a. remain friends and adhere to the rule or B. they no longer are my friend because they are simply not smart NUFF for my company or attention.

Hey now!

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

Re:  

And yet (a) practically everyone else on the interwebs knows what Snopes is, and (b) googling it gets over 4 million hits. C'mon, you're not that out of touch.

Here y'are, NY Times:

»www.nytimes.com/2010/04/05/techn···pes.html

And obligatory xkcd link:

»xkcd.com/250/

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

said by dave:

C'mon, you're not that out of touch.

Oh, I believe they are that out of touch...

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Dude111

From the Times article linked above.

quote:
“People keep falling for the same kind of things over and over again,” Mr. Mikkelson said. Some readers always seem to think, for instance, that the government is trying to poison them: Mrs. Mikkelson said rumors about AIDS have been recycled into rumors about swine flu vaccines.
Sound like anyone we know?

GadgetsRme
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO
reply to Anav

said by Anav:

I recommend Wild Canyon Harvest from The Abbey Winery in Canon City, Colorado. It is especially good with Sharp Cheddar like you are dealing with here.
--
Gadgets

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4
reply to dave

Re:  

Nope. Never heard of Scopes until now and after reading that NYTimes article I have no interest in navigating to Scopes. I abhor discussing politics and I have plenty of common sense. If I am unsure about something I would go to a better source than Scopes or I guess it is Snopes? (what a weird name) for my information. Seems the real problems is folks who still use email to communicate with "friends" and family. I stopped that years ago as I couldn't stand all the garbage people sent me or the fact they refused to use blind CC even after I would carefully, clearly, and simply explain how to do it for their email client.

I mean the crap that NYTimes article says people go to Snopes about boggles my mind. How can they be that naive and lacking in common sense? But there is that worrisome thought that the article also expresses saying Snopes sees a scary trend from high gullibility to hyper skepticism. If either is considered, I am prone to the latter but I avoid sites that will fan that nascent proclivity and try to always exercise my common sense.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by Mele20:

I mean the crap that NYTimes article says people go to Snopes about boggles my mind. How can they be that naive and lacking in common sense?

They are, of course, not as lacking in common sense as the people who forward crap without checking Snopes (or some other fact-checker). The reaction "Surely that can't be true: I will check" is better than "I believe that and will immediately tell everyone". Even if an immediate "what obvious nonsense" would be best.

And some of us have to visit Snopes to show the terminally lacking-in-sense the error of their ways.