Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to dave

Re:  

said by dave:

said by Mele20:

I mean the crap that NYTimes article says people go to Snopes about boggles my mind. How can they be that naive and lacking in common sense?

They are, of course, not as lacking in common sense as the people who forward crap without checking Snopes (or some other fact-checker). The reaction "Surely that can't be true: I will check" is better than "I believe that and will immediately tell everyone". Even if an immediate "what obvious nonsense" would be best.

And some of us have to visit Snopes to show the terminally lacking-in-sense the error of their ways.

I have tried using Snopes and Truth-or-Fiction to debunk e-mail that I get from friends, but they keep sending me this stuff with the question "Have you ever heard of this?" I don't know why they can't look this up for themselves, but expect me to do it and be the fount of all knowledge, which I clearly am not.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to rcdailey
said by rcdailey:

You solved the problem the old-fashioned way. You just cut yourself off from the spam and useless e-mail. I still get that stuff, but I do use e-mail. Do you use smoke signals or ESP or something else that I might try instead? Don't say Facebook or Twitter, please. I have enough trouble handling Facebook in a limited way.

I have Facebook and Twitter in my Hosts file. I still use email for things like listservs, newsletters I subscribe to, forum registrations, etc. and a very few friends who know something about computers or who are willing to learn how to use email safely and in a private manner. I have an advantage: I'm old enough that I can pick up the phone (yeah, a landline) and call my friends who would likely never use blind CC. For us, actually using a phone to talk on is not at all unusual.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to Dude111

Re: PLEASE TELL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS/COWORKERS!!!

This is relevant to this thread. Do not like getting stuff like this via email, definitely do not like get it here.

Tips for Identifying an Email Hoax | | SerentipitySerentipity
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Dude111
Alex, Could I have Gullible Security Posters for $1000?

As for that Colorado Wine, Im sure it spiked with something, ammonium nitrate perhaps, a spent shell casing maybe????

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111
Having suffered through waves of forwarded garbage eMails for more years than I like to recall, I've finally concluded that the people who do this simply aren't interested in checking out the messages they forward... that requires an added expenditure of effort. Apparently in most cases, so is clicking the BCC setting instead of CC. Most of the folks I know who repeatedly forward this stuff first receive it the same way themselves, it tickles some hot topic in their psyche, and they then simply hit "forward" and insert "to all contacts" from their address book. Quick, easy, and utterly annoying to most of their recipients. In the end, you either have to tolerate the nonsense or else completely block their sending address (which completely blocks incoming eMails from them - and that isn't always a feasible thing).

I have found that many forwarded eMails append "FW:" to the subject line, so I've been able to filter those out using that term and send them to a special folder that I only peruse about once a week or so.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

2 recommendations

said by Blackbird:

I have found that many forwarded eMails append "FW:" to the subject line...

Well it's easier to filter when the subject line is

FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: PLEASE TELL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS/COWORKERS!!!

--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Spy
Premium
join:2001-09-22
NE

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111
I'll keep my eye posted for that stuff dude, look what i found hiding in my closet the other day. A mole for the U.S. Government.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

said by Spy:

A NSA mole for the U.S. Government.

FIFY
--

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to Anon

Re:  

said by scelli:

said by dave:

said by Mele20:

I mean the crap that NYTimes article says people go to Snopes about boggles my mind. How can they be that naive and lacking in common sense?

They are, of course, not as lacking in common sense as the people who forward crap without checking Snopes (or some other fact-checker). The reaction "Surely that can't be true: I will check" is better than "I believe that and will immediately tell everyone". Even if an immediate "what obvious nonsense" would be best.

And some of us have to visit Snopes to show the terminally lacking-in-sense the error of their ways.

I've often gotten the impression that the original poster as well as one or two sycophant fan-boys he's managed to accrue on DSLR often tend to view the rest of we unwashed masses as being "naive and lacking in common sense" regarding numerous issues on this forum.

An adjustment in attitude on their parts ASAP should definitely be the order of the day.

Truth...100 percent... and I am pretty sure they have said it as well..

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to chrisretusn

Also unexplained: why someone would need a 'tracking device' to follow me. Because, you know, there I am at the gas station talking to them. And I don't drive that fast.

Spy
Premium
join:2001-09-22
NE
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by Spy:

A NSA mole for the U.S. Government.

FIFY

that makes sense because I also found some scissors, transparent gloves, pantyhose, vaseline and lipstick there.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2
reply to Dude111
said by the awesome Dude :
PLEASE TELL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS/COWORKERS!!!
I did! (About this thread). It's truly a classic Dude thread, complete with the obligatory CAPS, exclamation points, and even some of the usual deleted responses that always keep you guessing.
Keep up the great work, my Dude friend. This place just wouldn't be the same without you!
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

tholly911

join:2012-05-30
Pasadena, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111
Here's a link to a GPS tracker that is weather proofed and has an optional magnetic base for "covert" operation. It can be set to only broadcast when a vehicle is moving and can log speeds. I suggest in the near future police speed enforcement may become more intrusive because all that is needed to automate speed enforcement is make such devices required by law. I suggest this capability will be "built-in" on new models ... if it is not already in place.

»www.brickhousesecurity.com/produ ··· evice.do
ht tp://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/spark+nano+gps+tracking+device.do

Can you buy these with cash and access the web report anonymously?

Note the size of the device. Bigger than a key chain. But I have not searched for tinier versions which undoubtedly exist.

Another technology is the radio frequency identification. This is where very tiny tracking devices are found. Check out the topics listed in this following link:

»rfid-chips.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ··· acy.html
ht tp://rfid-chips.blogspot.com/2009/11/verichips-violate-privacy.html

Can intrusive technologies force good behavior? Perhaps a good starting point is for all early release prisoners to be chipped? Did a crime and want out early? ... Here's what you have to tolerate as you have earned the distrust of society.

Want to track your kids as a means to thwart kidnapping and willing to sacrifice their privacy to protect them?

The cost and technology needed to practicably apply individual tracking on everyone is not yet here ... but I say within a decade it will be here. Technology moves forward. Scanners can be put in public places and if any individual does not broadcast a tracking signal ... immediate action is taken. Keys and other forms of identification may become obsolete. All kinds of Hollywood scenarios can play out. The future looks monitored and we are actually already there ... its just a matter of degree and that will be forever increasing as technology advances.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
The day babies are "chipped" at birth is the day the game is over I have no doubt it's coming...
--

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
reply to Dude111
So thats why that fella was trying to give me a key ring the other day?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
Rialto, CA
reply to tholly911
I thought I remembered something from a while back:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZvXtJxB ··· XtJxBNWg

They've been doing this sort of thing with license plates in Canada for about three years now.

Connecticut is working on something similar:

»www.thenewspaper.com/news/37/374 ··· 3743.asp

It would be a very big and expensive job for California, but I have no doubt it will come someday.
--

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111
And now this thread has become conspiracy theory general.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

The day babies are "chipped" at birth is the day the game is over I have no doubt it's coming...

But... but... they'd be doing it for the children.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to rcdailey
The youtube clip does not mention RFID. RFID seems like old-fashioned technology for vehicle tracking, and not very effective either.

A vehicle plate *by definition* already has a visible unique id. So read the visible id; don't screw around requiring radio-frequency transmission of the id. I suppose the visual identification range is larger than any RFID reading range in any case.

As far as expense is concerned: it seems to me that you could start relatively cheaply by outfitting a few police vehicles with the on-board plate recognition system. You of course need the back-end database support as well. My point is that you don't need all of the system (like, fixed cameras on major highways) all at once. And you don't need new licence plates on all vehicles.

Using RFID, as per the Connecticut proposal, sounds ridiculous since (1) it requires upgrades to the plates of every vehcicle, (2) likely has a shorter read range, (3) can't do anything useful with out-of-state plates that don't have the CT RFID addition, and (4) likely works less well. Its only benefit appears to be that it lines particular pockets.

Automatic plate recognition, meanwhile, is deployed and working in at least the UK and Canada. The only difficulty I see in the USA is that there's not one country-wide numbering space for plate numbers (so there might be 50 different cases of plate "ABC123") so there's a need to automatically determine the issuing state as well. I don't see that as insurmountable.

Or to put it differently: getting worried about RFID on your car, when you've been driving around for the last several decades carrying a visible unique identifier, seems a little bit misplaced.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wooville

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111
Why would anyone want a keyring? Keys are old technology that aren't secure.
--
i before e, except after c... weird?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
Rialto, CA
reply to dave
The advantage of RFID would be off-angle detection of the vehicle's identification, and it would probably work even if the plate were covered with mud or otherwise obscured. If a vehicle did not respond, that would indicate that RFID had been removed, which would be against the law and the police could apprehend the driver and/or impound the vehicle immediately.

How effective is RFID, that is. what is the maximum range for response? To me that seems to be a problem based on a quick search. Passive devices don't have offer much range, probably not enough for parking lot scanning as shown in the plate recognition video. The plate recognition system seems a little bit complicated to me, but it obviously works. Since it is in use in Canada and the UK, there's no reason it won't be put to use in the US someday soon.

I'm not particularly worried about RFID (the tags seem to be almost as ubiquitous as bar codes) or plate recognition systems and I guess I could use a new plate sometime soon because it's losing its reflective paint.
--

EGeezer
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2 recommendations

reply to StuartMW

The danger never stops!

I saw it on prisonplanet. it must be true.

It's a good thing I have my HDMI cable with built-in antivirus.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

reply to vaxvms

Well, when I can afford digital locks on my doors, which are so old and can't be retrofitted for greater security . . . . oh why bother explaining. The 1-percenters can have their high security and the rest of us can use keys and easily bypassed locks. We have nothing worth stealing, anyway.
--

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

Yes, but some of us are still using that old tech in our old vehicles...
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:14
reply to EGeezer

They did that on Die hard 4 remember??

Put stuff on ppls computers and when they pressed a key it went off........ Pretty scary!

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2
No question this is all pretty scary.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

And now this thread has become conspiracy theory general.

Well you're not paranoid if they really are out to get you
--

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

Because they work and aren't dependent on electronics and hacking?

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to StuartMW
Google street view displays tracking done by keyrings, microchips, barcodes, and magnetic fields that are intercepted by the NSA and other Syndicates.

»tllabs.io/asciistreetview/

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

Why would anyone want a keyring?

To conveniently link my car unlocker and starter fob thingy (which I refer to as a 'key' even though it is not mechanical in nature) and my RSA digital id token, since it seems to me I'm less likely to lose one of them that way.