All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

Well i dont goto snopes FOR ANYTHING!!!

They are mainstream assholes who think THEY ONLY KNOW THE TRUTH! (They say aspertame is safe for example when it most definetly IS NOT!)

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

3 recommendations

Name Game

Premium Member

Well you know what they says..if it walks like a duck .....BTW many other links besides snopes that call that email a hoax..so don't get your nickers in a twist...the info is still bullshit.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

2 recommendations

workablob to 19579823

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

They are mainstream assholes who think THEY ONLY KNOW THE TRUTH! (They say aspertame is safe for example when it most definetly IS NOT!)

I'm afraid to ask where it is that you DO go.

Dave
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA

6 recommendations

scelli (banned) to 19579823

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

Considering that you're one of the most prolific purveyors of paranoia, baseless innuendo and outright FUD around here, you've absolutely no right whatsoever referring to anyone as assholes or idiots. Doing so is almost as hypocritically tasteless as the blatant insistence on using caps in postings, despite the fact of your being more than aware such behavior is rude and totally inconsistent with proper Internet decorum.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

AVD

Premium Member

said by scelli:

as hypocritically tasteless as the blatant insistence on using caps in postings, despite the fact of your being more than aware such behavior is rude and totally inconsistent with proper Internet decorum.

if you didn't have a 1999 join date, one would be justified in assuming you were really new here. The above is a DSLR institution.
Expand your moderator at work
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

2 recommendations

dave

Premium Member

Re:  

And yet (a) practically everyone else on the interwebs knows what Snopes is, and (b) googling it gets over 4 million hits. C'mon, you're not that out of touch.

Here y'are, NY Times:

»www.nytimes.com/2010/04/ ··· pes.html

And obligatory xkcd link:

»xkcd.com/250/

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

Cheese

Premium Member

said by dave:

C'mon, you're not that out of touch.

Oh, I believe they are that out of touch...
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to dave

Premium Member

to dave
Nope. Never heard of Scopes until now and after reading that NYTimes article I have no interest in navigating to Scopes. I abhor discussing politics and I have plenty of common sense. If I am unsure about something I would go to a better source than Scopes or I guess it is Snopes? (what a weird name) for my information. Seems the real problems is folks who still use email to communicate with "friends" and family. I stopped that years ago as I couldn't stand all the garbage people sent me or the fact they refused to use blind CC even after I would carefully, clearly, and simply explain how to do it for their email client.

I mean the crap that NYTimes article says people go to Snopes about boggles my mind. How can they be that naive and lacking in common sense? But there is that worrisome thought that the article also expresses saying Snopes sees a scary trend from high gullibility to hyper skepticism. If either is considered, I am prone to the latter but I avoid sites that will fan that nascent proclivity and try to always exercise my common sense.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I mean the crap that NYTimes article says people go to Snopes about boggles my mind. How can they be that naive and lacking in common sense?

They are, of course, not as lacking in common sense as the people who forward crap without checking Snopes (or some other fact-checker). The reaction "Surely that can't be true: I will check" is better than "I believe that and will immediately tell everyone". Even if an immediate "what obvious nonsense" would be best.

And some of us have to visit Snopes to show the terminally lacking-in-sense the error of their ways.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA

1 recommendation

scelli (banned) to Cheese

to Cheese

Re:  

said by Cheese:

said by dave:

C'mon, you're not that out of touch.

Oh, I believe they are that out of touch...

Then it's time a reality check be performed by certain folks around here. I meant exactly what was said in my previous post...and think you and others would readily agree the comments certainly weren't anything that hasn't already been voiced on DSLR at various times in the past.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

So, try Truth-or-Fiction instead.
rcdailey

rcdailey to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
You solved the problem the old-fashioned way. You just cut yourself off from the spam and useless e-mail. I still get that stuff, but I do use e-mail. Do you use smoke signals or ESP or something else that I might try instead? Don't say Facebook or Twitter, please. I have enough trouble handling Facebook in a limited way.
rcdailey

rcdailey to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

said by Mele20:

I mean the crap that NYTimes article says people go to Snopes about boggles my mind. How can they be that naive and lacking in common sense?

They are, of course, not as lacking in common sense as the people who forward crap without checking Snopes (or some other fact-checker). The reaction "Surely that can't be true: I will check" is better than "I believe that and will immediately tell everyone". Even if an immediate "what obvious nonsense" would be best.

And some of us have to visit Snopes to show the terminally lacking-in-sense the error of their ways.

I have tried using Snopes and Truth-or-Fiction to debunk e-mail that I get from friends, but they keep sending me this stuff with the question "Have you ever heard of this?" I don't know why they can't look this up for themselves, but expect me to do it and be the fount of all knowledge, which I clearly am not.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to rcdailey

Premium Member

to rcdailey
said by rcdailey:

You solved the problem the old-fashioned way. You just cut yourself off from the spam and useless e-mail. I still get that stuff, but I do use e-mail. Do you use smoke signals or ESP or something else that I might try instead? Don't say Facebook or Twitter, please. I have enough trouble handling Facebook in a limited way.

I have Facebook and Twitter in my Hosts file. I still use email for things like listservs, newsletters I subscribe to, forum registrations, etc. and a very few friends who know something about computers or who are willing to learn how to use email safely and in a private manner. I have an advantage: I'm old enough that I can pick up the phone (yeah, a landline) and call my friends who would likely never use blind CC. For us, actually using a phone to talk on is not at all unusual.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
said by scelli:

said by dave:

said by Mele20:

I've often gotten the impression that the original poster as well as one or two sycophant fan-boys he's managed to accrue on DSLR often tend to view the rest of we unwashed masses as being "naive and lacking in common sense" regarding numerous issues on this forum.

An adjustment in attitude on their parts ASAP should definitely be the order of the day.

Truth...100 percent... and I am pretty sure they have said it as well..