spc
uniqs

mad2012
@fuse.net

mad2012 to pseudomaniac

Anon

to pseudomaniac

Re: FiOptics Review and Disappointments- From an IT Professional

I switched to Fioptics from TWC. Have no complaints about picture quality or internet speed BUT...... Their DVR SUCKS.... It is aggravatingly slow and is just the bottom of the line when it comes to user friendliness and function.
Example:
I select a series to record. I decide to have only NEW episodes recorded. OK Done.... Now I realize that I have not seen some of the reruns on this channel so I would like change the recording to "record all". CAN'T BE DONE... You CANT'T EVEN DELETE the series recording so you can start new. There are MANY problems with the DVR as far as functionality. You cannot find info on channels you put into your favorites so you have no idea what episode is playing only the name. Etc....
This is my 5th DVR and all have been far superior to this one. This one is just junk when compared to the others.
I hope they are going to upgrade it soon.
CVGNet
join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

CVGNet

said by mad2012
Example:
I select a series to record. I decide to have only NEW episodes recorded. OK Done.... Now I realize that I have not seen some of the reruns on this channel so I would like change the recording to "record all". CAN'T BE DONE... You CANT'T EVEN DELETE the series recording so you can start new.

Which DVR is this? The ZTE units should be able to modify the settings and delete the series recording. It seems to work on the following sequence:

Menu / My Recordings / Recording Schedules / Select Recording / Yellow Button / Change recording Options

*But* I think I have sometimes seen that last box appear without some of the change options although I am not sure which specific sequence causes that to appear - probably a bug.
Rad358
join:2012-08-19
Cincinnati, OH

Rad358 to mad2012

to mad2012
OK, So we all in agreement that the DVR service provided by CB Suck!!! I need to have a DVR on my system and I do not want to pay any more money to CB!

Can anyone tell me if there is a dvr I should buy that work for CB FiOptics??

I also switched from DirecTV and I now I regret that decision. I have 2 DVRs that worked well for the Directv. They are the old Huges, HD system. I cant get them to work by just plugging it inline with the cable. This box was designed for 2 cable system...
Can this box be used with FiOptics?

Thanks for any help!

Glen
@freegroups.net

Glen

Anon

Is anyone hearing that Cincy Bell has begun offering the CPE that supports bonding yet? I have a need for more upload bandwidth, and currently am using the copper-fiber combination, giving me only 1.6Mb up.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

Which service are you getting 1.6 Mbps upload on? The 20/2 service? The 30/5 service should offer up to 5 Mbps upload. Which part of town are you in?

Glen
@freegroups.net

Glen

Anon

Hi - yes, it's the 20/2. I asked for the 30/5, but my distance to the CO was too far, the installers said. They suggested that the only way to improve was the upcoming bonded capability.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

Unfortunately CB has chosen to have only a limited numbers of service combinations available and they are choosing to favor download over upload so that they can sell IPTV. Have a look at your VDSL modem and you will probably find the download path trained at well over 20 Mbps.

You might want to consider TWC if they offer 30/5 service in your area. TWC's 30/5 service is available in many areas and it seems to get closer to 5 Mbps upload than CB's VDSL service even though TWC are often using fairly old General Instruments fiber nodes and C-COR line extenders in many areas.

If you are in an area served by Cincinnati Communications, they offer symmetric BPL service up to 3/3 but you can get multiple modems and push more than 3 Mbps up.

The main downside to TWC and CC is that their services are dependent on power for their nodes/line extenders/gateways/bridges whereas CB's service usually has many hours of power protection built in to the remote DSLAM cabinets.

Glen
@freegroups.net

Glen

Anon

Thank you for your helpfulness. Cincinnati Communications isn't servicing Fairfield yet, and when I tried TWC Business Class last year, they misrepresented their capabilities - did you know that their metrics are based on THEIR internal network speeds (not across the Internet)? I benchmarked performance, and for interactive sessions, it was worse than CB's DSL.