Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok

Re: Blizz backs Valve's critical view of Win8

said by Krisnatharok:

I'll just stick with Win7 Pro for the future--no reason to upgrade for the next half decade or so...

MS knows people won't be keen to upgrade, like they weren't with Vista, and will likely respond by making the next DirectX version exclusive to the newest windows version again.

Steam can go to Linux but we still need the games. Is there a collection of APIs like DX that will facilitate games on Linux? Is it needed and is anybody working on it?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Maybe but doubtful, most software makers see opensource as non-profit.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to pnjunction

Premium Member

to pnjunction
said by pnjunction:

MS knows people won't be keen to upgrade, like they weren't with Vista, and will likely respond by making the next DirectX version exclusive to the newest windows version again.

How much of a motivator is that really, most games are going to function with an older version of DirectX
said by pnjunction:

Steam can go to Linux but we still need the games. Is there a collection of APIs like DX that will facilitate games on Linux? Is it needed and is anybody working on it?

That's a tough one... if they have OpenGL or can be ported to OpenGL then Linux should be a shoe-in, the more Linux games there are, the better it is for everyone.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to pnjunction

Premium Member

to pnjunction
The number of games supporting DX11 is abysmal. Even if DX12 is Win8-only, it will be *years* before it is widely available on games, and even longer before most of the games support it.

Hell, I'd give money for DX11 variants (that actually use DX11 capabilities) of my favorite games.