spc
uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Bob4

to Bob4

Re: What is an "LED TV"?

They do have 40" models, but they're only edge-lit.
While they're definitely better w.r.t. size, power usage, and longevity, I don't think edge-lit LED have any inherent advantage w.r.t. picture quality.

I'd just go to some more stores, widen the scope, and take the time to look at more TVs before buying one.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

I bought the UN40ES6100 last night. The screen is fine. No bright spots. I turned off the auto backlight adjustment because it was very annoying and the screen was too dark with the auto adjust on.

Now I have to get the WiFi streaming set up properly. Samsung's AllShare server was crappy. The TV works with the Win7 / Windows Media Player streaming, but the setup is clunky and I have to rename MKV files to WMV for them to play. Also, there's no real FF/rewind function.

Any suggestions on a better DLNA server than what's built in to Win7?

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

»www.plexapp.com/
there is an app for the tv, pc and mobile devices.
search for plex in smarthub.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

said by EliteData:

»www.plexapp.com/
there is an app for the tv, pc and mobile devices.
search for plex in smarthub.

Thanks, that looks interesting. But it's not available yet for my UN40ES6100.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

interesting. I'm able to install it and use it on my 2011 samsung un46d8000 set. I would expect it to be available for the 2012 models. were you able to find it in search on smart hub?
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Click for full size
The Plex site says my TV is not supported, the Samsung site (above) says my TV is not supported, and the app doesn't show up on Smart Hub. Supposedly it's in development.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

1 edit

EliteData

Premium Member

damn.
i bet if i send you the APK, it would install and work fine anyway.
i was using different methods to serve files to the tv until i tried plex, its something i enjoy using alot as it makes things much easier to work with.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

1 edit

Bob4

Apparently some changes had to be made (the old version wouldn't install), but a version for the new TVs is on the way:
quote:
Samsung is testing the 2012 version of the App at the moment, but we can't say if or when it's going to be released.
So you will need a bit more patience.
quote:
The unofficial release is availabel in the thread called "2012 Models (E-Series) are supported (Not official)"
You can see it in 3rd party clients/Samsung smart hub.
quote:
Samsung asked us to stop distributing the application via public IP, so I'm closing this thread. Besides the fact that they asked, it creates confusion to have multiple copies floating around, especially when they are being distributed without the express consent of the original authors.
»forums.plexapp.com/index ··· pported/
»forums.plexapp.com/index ··· fficial/

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

not sure if you want to try the developer install for the app, but i managed to get a copy of the app, (Plex_Laika_0956_America_20120110_09561_America_20120115.zip)
if you want it, i will upload it to my server and PM you the IP address, its 34MB.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll wait for the official release. The rumor mill indicates that may be this month.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

also, if you find the tv "freezes" and becomes unresponsive, then shuts off and turns back on (during connection to the internet), go to samsung.com and download the newest firmware.
the option for firmware upgrade through the internet on the tv itself generally will not show the latest firmware.
if you have any questions, you can PM.
im a samsung engineer.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Wait a minute! Can the Samsung TV use it's built-in DLNA interface to connect to a Plex server running on my PC?

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

said by Bob4:

Wait a minute! Can the Samsung TV use it's built-in DLNA interface to connect to a Plex server running on my PC?

not sure.
i have not tried that since i like the interface of the plex app.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

I just realized that Plex server doesn't run as a service. (What kind of server doesn't run as a service?) That makes it not very useful, since I'd have to log in to run it. I also see references to memory leaks.

I guess I'm stuck with Windows Media Player streaming for now.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

I dont have issues with memory leaks.
you can also create a service in windows.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Apparently running it as a service is not that simple, and there are issues returning from sleep.

See - »forums.plexapp.com/index ··· ry274963

INtheKnow
@charter.com

INtheKnow

Anon

I use TVersity with my PS3 and my Yamaha reciever to stream audio (both) and Video (PS3) to my Sammy D8000. There was a free version on cnet if I remember correctly.