xocsucram
join:2008-10-02

1 edit

xocsucram to PJL

to PJL

Re: Signing onto NBCOlympics w/ a FiOS ID

said by PJL:

said by xocsucram:

on and what do you know, im watching CNBC right now with Closing Bell and lets see go up 1 channel and.....yep womens hand ball on MSNBC

looks like my Prime Package is working just fine....not sitting on the phone for 30 minutes to have them power cycle my ONT to fix their stupid restrictions to access it online

Is the user account you are trying to access it with authorized for FiOS TV Online access? There is a setting in the sub-account settings related to this.

yes, like i said ive accessed WatchESPN a million times...

oh and another thing i just remembered since its NBC im betting they're still using microsoft silverlight for their streaming and not adobe flash like the rest of the world uses...which sucks anyways cause im using Linux and the silverlight plugin is always horribly developed and runs so slow when i tried to watch their Notre Damn football games or Sunday Night Football live feeds, so im not going to bother anyways cause i know the feeds will look like crap.

and its not like this is the end of the world cause they're not showing anything i cant see or record on tv, but im finding it rather strange they seem to have some world wide monopoly online, cause googling shows no other major non-usa station is offering live coverage other than BBC but thats only for phones...how are people in china or japan or anywhere that doesnt have NBC watching online? theres no nbc there....
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by xocsucram:

said by PJL:

said by xocsucram:

on and what do you know, im watching CNBC right now with Closing Bell and lets see go up 1 channel and.....yep womens hand ball on MSNBC

looks like my Prime Package is working just fine....not sitting on the phone for 30 minutes to have them power cycle my ONT to fix their stupid restrictions to access it online

Is the user account you are trying to access it with authorized for FiOS TV Online access? There is a setting in the sub-account settings related to this.

yes, like i said ive accessed WatchESPN a million times...

oh and another thing i just remembered since its NBC im betting they're using microsoft silverlight and not adobe flash like the rest of the world uses...which sucks anyways cause im using Linux and the plugin was always horrible when i tried to watch their Notre Damn football games or Sunday Night Football live feeds, so im not going to bother anyways cause i know the feeds will look like crap.

The feeds are fine -- they are powered by YouTube.

What browser are you using?
xocsucram

xocsucram

i just tried checking youtube thru TOR and its still only showing the same NBC Olympic channel link which then when u click on it, reroutes you to the nbcolympic.com site and it says "access denied" so its not like Youtube is servicing the rest of the world with their own feeds...its only USA

how does a tv station for 1 country, which isnt even the host nation of the WORLD olympics having an world wide ban of online streaming? LOL

so the other 200 countries are S.O.L. other than what ever is shown on tv??

»www.engadget.com/2012/07 ··· ics-app/

bbc isnt offering live streaming for UK, they only have "live boxscore updates" and that phone app

oh and this account activation isnt just a fios issue apparently

»articles.chicagotribune. ··· audience
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

xocsucram, again, what browser are you using?

Regarding your world wide streaming compaint, each network or entity received a license (and payed for it) from the IOC to broadcast or stream the Olympics. The BBC streams are limited to certain geographic locations also (the U.K.). You may not like it, but that's the way it works. The article you link to indeed says that BBC is streaming up to 24 streams IN THE U.K. only
xocsucram

2 edits

xocsucram

i use FF, Chrome and Opera

i finally found a page on the IOC regarding streaming in each country

www.olympic.org/content/broadcaster-home/

again i really dont care to find a solution to this, the one service i do use, ESPN3/WatchESPN worked since day one of my Fios service, i dont watch any other channels and in 2 weeks Olympics will be over

it would of been nice to just go on there with the same exact account i use for ESPN3 to watch the USA basketball games on demand rather than worry about scheduling a recording since the Olympic channel doesnt actually show games its just in 4 hr blocks and i have to check the FIBA scheudal to see when they're playing and set up manual recordings during those hours, but i wont lose sleep missing a 20 point blowout here or there
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Which OS?
xocsucram

xocsucram

said by PJL:

Which OS?

ubuntu

its an issue between the nbc site and verizon, from their end its showing im not even a Prime TV subscriber which is the lowest possible tier and i was just watching both the channels they said i wasnt subscribed to.

im not going thru hoops with Fios CS which is probably flooded with 1hr wait times anyways from everyone having the same issue. having them reboot all my stuff and screw up the other shows im watching or cut off my internet rebooting the ONT making me miss the start of my MLB.tv feed for Yankee/Oreos game thats bout to start at 7(which would be right after the 1hr wait for customer service)

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

birdfeedr

MVM

said by xocsucram:

making me miss the start of my MLB.tv feed for Yankee/Oreos game thats bout to start at 7

You'd think the Yankees would eat up the Oreos, but as it turned out, they didn't have the stomach for them. They lost 5-4.

We now return to the regularly scheduled forum topic.