dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
NatchEngel2
join:2011-04-16

NatchEngel2

Re: [TW] earthlink cable setup confusion?

Spoke with Time Warner ahead who upgraded my speeds to the Turbo plan. He said it should take effect within 5 minutes of powering off my modem. Powered it off multiple times, reset it, etc. I'm still on the standard speeds and no change.

Called back and another rep told me it would take up to 24 hours for my speeds to change. Lame.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2

Correction. The word for Earthlink is not Turbo, it is Earthlink Max. Turbo is for the old Road Runner/now Standard TWC internet. If the rep did indeed add Turbo, you will not get the increased speed. The promo price should be $29.99 for the standard Earthlink and $9.95 for the Max add-on.

I am assuming you reset your router as well, just powering off the modem is not always sufficient. After that, call the billing department and ensure the right codes are on the account. If not, kindly ask for a supervisor.
NatchEngel2
join:2011-04-16

NatchEngel2

I spent 2 hours on the phone going back and forth between Earthlink and Time Warner, as I was still capped at getting standard 10mbps speed. They were blaming each other. I reset my modem multiple times with no difference.

It was finally resolved, but I'm capped at 15mbps / 2 upload. They said I'm capped at that because 20mbps is reserved for direct Time Warner customers only... oh well. I'm glad I got that extra upload though.

texcen
@mindspring.com

texcen to NightOwl2

Anon

to NightOwl2
So, Austin, TX, Earthlink High Speed (from my bill) is supposedly $53.99 in addtion to the additional price I pay in the bundle (which some say does not exist any longer, others, don't know and no one can tell me how much I pay just to have Earthlink in that bundle called "ALL THE BEST") which they bill from TWC at $133.96. Seems to me at that rate, I should have someone doing pencil and paper drawings at hight speed of all the internet traffic....
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to NightOwl2

Premium Member

to NightOwl2
Earthlink on TWC offers whatever the "standard" and "turbo" packages are. They may be playing naming games, but here, it's 10/1 for standard, and 20/2 for turbo. There never was a "turbo plus" (the +$20 package) as far as I ever noticed. Today, it's "Standard Internet (10 Mbps download, 1 Mbps upload)" [$57.95] and "Turbo Internet (20 Mbps download, 2 Mbps upload)" ["Additional $9.95/mo"]. [See Also: Pricing and Packaging] Earthlink has never had direct control over the speeds, and rarely even knew what TWC was provisioning. Today, Earthlink says "6.0-10.0" and "10.0-15.0". And footnotes, "Actual download and upload speeds may vary depending on local cable service provider. Standard: Your first 6 months of service will be billed at the reduced rate of $29.95 per month, $41.95 thereafter. Premium/Max: Your first 6 months of service will be billed at the reduced rate of $39.90 per month, $51.90 thereafter." [ref]

The situation here is clear... TWC doesn't want people signing up for Earthlink HSI because they make a lot less money off of them. Apparently $16/mo less (plus whatever they kick-back to Earthlink.)

[Of course, the TWC price list also -- very incorrectly -- claims "Earthlink High Speed Internet (7 Mbps download)" @ 57.95, and "Earthlink Cablemax (10 Mbps download)" @ an additional $9.95. I have Earthlink HSI; it's 10/1 @ $41.95. The price hasn't changed in a decade, and the speeds have matched the TWC standard teir the entire time. BTW, the *price* is controlled by the contract with Earthlink, which is still $41.95 as per the above ref.]
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2

I am going by what we set in in NYC area. Turbo is a billing code for the old Road Runner, now standard, and gives those customers 20/2. Earthlink Max is a separate code for Earthlink, at $9.95. If an agent added the Turbo billing code, the customer would not get increased speeds. As for signing up for Earthlink, I've seen hundreds of accounts where the all the best packages were built around Earthlink instead of Road Runner.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Yet more confusion caused by the millions of franshised markets. The OP is in "socal" (92708), and they don't list a pricing page. You're in NYC and I'm in "east", so neither of us have a clear picture of what's going on in CA. At least the OP is now getting more than standard, which is what he's paying for.

I wonder if any of the Earthlink lurkers are following this thread?