uniqs

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to FastMover

to FastMover

Re: [HN7000S] Sat-Out Shorting modem out

Assuming you mean power adapter rather than power supply, I'm going to speculate that your issue may have either been coincidental. The job of the power adapter is to take AC/voltage from the wall socket and convert it to the DC/voltages needed by the modem. Protection from that side should be provided via a UPS device.

Protection on the cable side of the modem however, is internal. There are built-in circuit breakers that automatically shut down the modem when a cable short condition is detected. Most often this occurs as a result of a poor connector installation somewhere in the path. Even one strand of shielding coming into contact with the center conductor is enough to shut down the modem. And this feature applies to the SAT IN port as well as the SAT OUT port. That said, an internal short in either the transmitter or the LNB will also appear to the modem as a cable short.

So given that the power adapter is on the AC side of them modem, I am struggling to imagine how it's responsible for these symptoms

//greg//
FastMover
join:2006-08-31
Cokercreek, TN

FastMover

Are you for real, power adapter is just another term for a power supply, the more common term used in the industry?
“ A power supply is a device that supplies electric power to an electrical load. The term is most commonly applied to devices that convert one form of electrical energy to another, though it may also refer to devices that convert another form of energy (mechanical, chemical, solar) to electrical energy. Every power supply must obtain the energy it supplies to its load, as well as any energy it consumes while performing that task, from an energy source. Depending on its design, a power supply may obtain energy from:
Electrical energy transmission systems or power lines. Common examples of this include power supplies that convert AC line voltage to DC voltage.”
You can struggle all you like, the fact is that in my case the power supply WAS bad and it DID cause the problems the OP stated. It is also a fact that replacing the power supply fixed the problem.
Now I was just suggesting a possible solution to help someone out, you on the other hand seem more interested in showing everyone how smart you are.
Good luck with that……… Jim

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

4 edits

grohgreg

Search engine definitions don't impress me nearly as much as does an open mind Jim. I haven't posted here this long without having some idea of how this stuff works. But I'm guessing you're not "in the industry". Because you apparently don't realize that the Hughes (external) power adapter converts AC to DC, which in turn feeds the basic 6.5v and 19.5v inputs required by the HN7000S modem (internal) DC power supply, which in turn breaks them down to the various voltages and currents required by the modem board components, the LNB, and the transmitter. I just wanted to make sure which one you were talking about.

Stranger things have happened. But I've replaced several failed or failing Hughes power adapters over the last 12 years or so. Not one cable fault among them. And I've fixed even more cable faults, not one of them attributed to a bad power adapter. Given the info you provided, I'm still thinking coincidence.

P.S. If you still don't believe there's a power adapter in this equation, check your HN7000S owners manual.

//greg//
Rusty_in_WV
join:2009-12-30
Sutton, WV

Rusty_in_WV to grohgreg

to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

Protection on the cable side of the modem however, is internal. There are built-in circuit breakers that automatically shut down the modem when a cable short condition is detected. Most often this occurs as a result of a poor connector installation somewhere in the path. Even one strand of shielding coming into contact with the center conductor is enough to shut down the modem. And this feature applies to the SAT IN port as well as the SAT OUT port.

I've swapped my input and output cables as well as replacing the first run (from the transmitter) with new cabling. So have eliminated any of the cabling. Despite what cable I have hooked in its always the TX radio one that is shorting.

I would try the power supply, just because its probably the least costly thing to attempt to fix looking now at where I can pick one up. I will try to slip out and get some pictures of the dish itself to provide more information on the equipment I have. TY for the suggestions and information so far.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

Understand. Like I said, an internal short inside the transmitter can appear to the modem as a cable short. LNB too for that matter, except the issue would manifest itself on the Sat In port.

I was a telecommunications troubleshooter and satcom engineer in another life, which ingrained in me the need for redundancy. So if/when it comes to it, I've got a shelf full of spares for my own HughesNet system. They're easy to come by on eBay; »www.ebay.com/itm/USE-Hug ··· 060b66f5

But I'd have to confirm which outdoor unit you have before I can point you toward the appropriate transmitter.

//greg//
Rusty_in_WV
join:2009-12-30
Sutton, WV

Rusty_in_WV

I was able to get out and snap some pictures, if you need other shots let me know.

Also, the power supply on my HN7000s is a 45W, which seems harder to find at a good price.

By rustymccheese at 2012-08-01

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

Pretty sure that's the Anubis model of TRIA, and I have some transmitters to fit. But they're all 2 watts, which are more expensive than are the 1 watt versions. Also, your HN7000S must have been an upgrade. Because ordinarily it would have a 64w power adapter. If you do elect to replace it, don't waste time looking for a 45w, go for the more common (and more appropriate) 64w

//greg//

heeby jeeby
@verizon.net

heeby jeeby

Anon

said by grohgreg:

Also, your HN7000S must have been an upgrade. Because ordinarily it would have a 64w power adapter. If you do elect to replace it, don't waste time looking for a 45w, go for the more common (and more appropriate) 64w

//greg//

just a quick fyi- the 7000's were briefly shipped new in box for installs with a 45w power adapter, maybe for 6 months or so. techs in the field were complaining within weeks of their release, as we were noticing transmit issues. 64w power supply appeared to resolve the issue. thus hns started sending 64w power adapters with the radios, as the modems were apparently already boxed up and shipped out. anytime we saw 45w power adapters, we were to swap them out. it was obviously years ago, but i do recall when it happened.