how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RokHed

join:2000-09-09
Pennsville, NJ

[Wireless] 610n slow wireless

I have a linksys dual band 610n router and ar9285 atheros card in my laptop.
I cant make is connect in 2.4g faster than 54Mb. I have comcast 50/10 and cant get faster than 27Mb on wireless. I get 53/11 wired. Is there a setting im missing?

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO

There are many factors involved, but as far I am concerned Atheros cards are not very good. Wireless is always slower than wired. I have one net book with Atheros and one with Broadcom and the Broadcom is much better. Too bad laptops don't tell which you have and the same model laptop can have different cards.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to RokHed

Where is the WRT610N located and do you have other wireless devices like mouse/keyboard + Bluetooth gear like headphone speakers etc in close proximity plus how many other wireless networks surround you?

RokHed

Pennsville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

I have sat the laptop on top of the router. lol.I know that the windows reporting isn't too accurate but that is reporting 54Mb n
No Bluetooth running. There is 2 networks plus mine but they are very poor quality and even poof from the list because thier so poor. My card supports 150Mb and if I can get the 65ish people are reporting they get on 2.4Ghz N that would cover my 50Mb Comcast. Ive had this router for about a year and a half and it performs great. However I just got the Speed bump to 50 from Comcast and would like to get it out to my devices. Ive googled and tried everything ive seen. I saw a report about this card being "locked". But don't really understand whats up with that cause it seemed vague. Im thinking its a setting somewhere I missed in the Router or the card. I only have 1 N device so its hard for me to track it. Before ya ask, YES ive tried running it in N only with the same results.Ive tried various encryption modes. Ive tried forcing the speed setting. When i set it to anything other than auto the router locks up and after power cycle the laptop wont connect till i plug the wire in and revert.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

Please describe WHERE in your Home you've placed the WRT610N and also describe ALL the objects in close proximity to the WRT610N ...

Are you using a wireless mouse with your Laptop and is the wireless mouse 2.4Ghtz?

For BEST performance the RULES to follow for PLACEMENT of the WRT610N is;

[1] Give it AIR --- this means as HIGH as possible away from ANY obstacles ,,,, in this way the wireless signals RX/TX have best dispersion.
[2] CENTRAL --- this means as close to the center of your living environment ,,,, for example in a 2 story home the upper story and at the top of the stairs leading to the 2nd story near the ceiling.

IF you follow those 2 very simple rules your performance will improve dramatically with the WRT610N.

99.9% of people do NOT pay attention to proper placement because they are either NOT aware of the rules or cannot be bothered with the work involved with proper placement.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

RokHed

Pennsville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

thanks for your reply. No wireless mouse.The router is over 3 feet from anything electronic. I have had the laptop less than 5ft away from the router. Its connecting at 54Mb and im getting half duplex of 27Max. If i plug it into the router im getting getting 53.5Mb from Comcast. I do have a device called Airave for Cell reception. However I get the same results with it in or out of the network.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

I can not provide further input unless you answer my questions properly.

RokHed

Pennsville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

HUH? What question didnt i answer? The router is sitting on a table right next to me in a spare bedroom. Lets see I have a Sb 6120 about 3 or so feet away and the Airave I mentioned. Properly? Im confused. Proper? what are you talking about? However sofar Ive found disabling WMM gives it 8 more Mb.
If anyone knows the proper settings Id sure appreciate them.

scubascythan

join:2005-05-14

You're not going to get much faster speeds on 802.11g no matter what you do, unless you have wireless cards that use protocols outside the 802.11g spec.

802.11g spec allows for up to 54Mbps bandwidth, however due to overhead, throughput is usually half that. See »www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/···a3.shtml for more info on the technical overview on the overhead/protocol.

Jump to N network if you want faster speeds. 5 Ghz usually has less interference but has a much lower distance due to higher signal degradation through materials including walls, etc. 2.4 Ghz is more susceptible to interference but has longer range.

RokHed

Pennsville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Thanks for your reply. The Atheros Ar9285 is a wireless N card with a max speed of 150Mb. Its a 2.4Ghz. As I stated in my OP. N on 2.4 Ghz is supposed to cap around 130 unless Im not understanding something. Ive been reading of real world reports of 65Mb with this card.

»www.qca.qualcomm.com/media/produ···ile1.pdf

scubascythan

join:2005-05-14

My bad, I assumed the 2.4g as g network at 2.4Ghz.