share rss forum feed

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island
kudos:1

1 edit

[Help] Looking to buy a Jeep Cheroke

I see so many of the Jeep Grand Cheroke's for cheap around here but i would like a regular Cheroke. But im open to anything. We just need one for winter driving. I see many in the $1500-$2000 range. And i know in winter they will be $2500-3500 for the same exact truck so we are looking now.

What do i need to look out for? What to stay away from? Like i say its just to drive in the winter to the stores or out east. Nothing crazy.

I have been told the I6 4.0 is the motor to get.

Thanks.

Irun Man
Spartan up
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY

Past owner of a used '94 Cherokee Sport here...

The I-6 motor is desirable BUT thirsty... my 5-speed averaged 18mpg. Cherokee Classic models are carry overs from the original 1980's AMC/Renault years, you're better off with a Grand Cherokee IMHO. Fluid leaks are common, servicing is key to prolonging their life.
--
I turned on my computer for this?

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL
reply to M A R S

i'm driving a 1996 4dr 2wd thats got maybe 140k on it. as mentioned they are thirsty motors with a vehicle in that price range i'd steer clear of one with all bells and whistles as when they fail they are going to be spendy. i was told once by my ex BIL that if i were to get a jeep that wasn't a wrangler to not get a grand(he was working for one of the biggest jeep dealers in town at the time) so when i bought mine i took his advice. couldn't be happier. no major repairs since i bought it 4yrs ago. it's a city jeep though and tends to do more highway miles than city miles. so it lives an easy life compared to a rock crawler. i think i average 16-18mpg on fresh oil and filter clean air filter etc. about the same as the blazer it replaced.
--
my site

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to M A R S

If you don't expect to drive it much, I wouldn't worry about mpg.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to M A R S

I understand you are looking for a Jeep Grand Cheroke, I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty and it slides on snowy streets!
It gets 12MPG on the streets!
Best thing is it never needed any real maintence (yet)!

M A R S
Premium
Long Island
reply to M A R S

Interesting, any other 4X4 AWD cheap SUV type things i should look in to. Like is say this is just for simple winter driving.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

said by M A R S:

Interesting, any other 4X4 AWD cheap SUV type things i should look in to. Like is say this is just for simple winter driving.

The biggest thing to realize about 4x4 vehicles in the snow and ice is that they don't allow you to stop any faster than a 2WD vehicle.

Other than that, for what you're wanting one for, almost any SUV that has part time 4WD would suffice unless you want a particular make or model. Pick-ups aren't great in the snow since they don't have a whole lot of weight over the rear axle unless you throw some sand bags or bricks in the bed so you would likely want an actual SUV that has decent weight distribution.

Smaller SUV type vehicles like Jeep Cherokee, Chevy S-10 Blazer, and the Ford Explorer / Bronco II are all good examples and can be had relatively cheap if you don't have to have one that's newer than say 2005 or so. My wife and I picked up a 94 Explorer 4x4 2 years ago for $750. Needed a new clutch slave cylinder and it's been fine ever since. If you're wanting something bigger but still kind of cheap then there's the Ford Bronco, Jeep Wagoneer / Grand Wagoneer, or Chevy K5 Blazer. If you can find one that doesn't cost and arm and a leg, maybe the International Scout / Scout II.

Finally, don't discount some of the late 80's to early 90's Subaru cars. The Loyale (which later became the Impreza) could be had with an AWD system.
--
I'll be stretching out the rhyme like gravity stretches time.

M A R S
Premium
Long Island
reply to M A R S

I have been looking at some older Subarus but many of them seem to have head gasket issues. And yeah im looking in the smaller SUV's or something like a Subaru. I have seen some decent SUV's with very minor issues selling for $1000, most of them wont pass NYS emissions inspection but could with an easy shade tree guy like my self. One dude said his "guy" told him it would be $1000 to get it to pass but using my OBDII scanner i see it was just an O2 Sensor. But that truck was not for me, the guy had small kids and a dog in it for the past 5 years and the insane was WAY RANK

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium
Belen, NM

Emissions could be a problem on some of the older stuff that used a carburetor.

Out here in podunk we don't have any emissions requirements and barely any safety requirements. New Mexico is pretty lax on that kind of stuff....as long as it has lights and at least one mirror you're golden. Should see some of the shit rolling down the road around here. If emission requirements are an issue, you might want to stick with the fuel injected engines which knocks a lot of the cheap stuff out of contention.
--

M A R S
Premium
Long Island

Here in this part of NY its anything with OBDII must be hooked up to a computer to be tested, So you cant have any codes.

Anything pre OBDII does not need to be tested via computer they just need what ever original emissions components came on the car or truck when it was new and cant have any idiot lights or CEL's on. They don't even need to work, just be intact, lot's of older rides have hollow cats and missing idiot lights now.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

I know for the fact that Ford Broncos (exc. CA vehicles) were not OBDII up to, and including 1995. And it's a good vehicle -- mine is now passed 275k.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to ironweasel

said by ironweasel:

Finally, don't discount some of the late 80's to early 90's Subaru cars. The Loyale (which later became the Impreza) could be had with an AWD system.

I'm not certain, but I think some earlier Subarus came with 4WD, and not AWD.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

I know for the fact that Ford Broncos (exc. CA vehicles) were not OBDII up to, and including 1995. And it's a good vehicle -- mine is now passed 275k.

OBDII started in '96, I believe.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to ironweasel

said by ironweasel:

said by M A R S:

The biggest thing to realize about 4x4 vehicles in the snow and ice is that they don't allow you to stop any faster than a 2WD vehicle.

Other than that, for what you're wanting one for, almost any SUV that has part time 4WD would suffice unless you want a particular make or model. Pick-ups aren't great in the snow since they don't have a whole lot of weight over the rear axle unless you throw some sand bags or bricks in the bed so you would likely want an actual SUV that has decent weight distribution.

Smaller SUV type vehicles like Jeep Cherokee, Chevy S-10 Blazer, and the Ford Explorer / Bronco II are all good examples and can be had relatively cheap if you don't have to have one that's newer than say 2005 or so. My wife and I picked up a 94 Explorer 4x4 2 years ago for $750. Needed a new clutch slave cylinder and it's been fine ever since. If you're wanting something bigger but still kind of cheap then there's the Ford Bronco, Jeep Wagoneer / Grand Wagoneer, or Chevy K5 Blazer. If you can find one that doesn't cost and arm and a leg, maybe the International Scout / Scout II.

Another choice might be an 88 or newer Ford Tempo with AWD, if you're lucky enough to find one in decent shape (AWD Tempos were pretty rare). You'd get better gas mileage than you would with an SUV. But Tempos may be less reliable than the aforementioned SUVs?

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable

said by slyphoxj:

Another choice might be an 88 or newer Ford Tempo with AWD, if you're lucky enough to find one in decent shape (AWD Tempos were pretty rare). You'd get better gas mileage than you would with an SUV. But Tempos may be less reliable than the aforementioned SUVs?

Buying a crack house in Detroit might be a safer bet.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

M A R S
Premium
Long Island
reply to M A R S

Click for full size
Picked this up on Sunday, needed a little TLC inside but seems to run decent. A few strange issues i found with it but has a rebuilt tranny a year ago, full time 4WD, leather, sunroof and a strong running 4.0 with 180K that i hope to get 40k more out of.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium
Belen, NM

Not bad. How much?

I see a Laredo vinyl underneath the Grand Cherokee badge....is that a pre or post 1996? I wasn't a big fan of the Selec-Trac full time 4WD on those, but that's just a personal preference...the NV242 transfer case is still pretty decent.

When you start chasing down those "strange issues", you'll understand why Jeep stands for a few things:

Just Expect Every Problem
Just Empty Every Pocket
Just Everybody Else's Parts

The list goes on and on...I had an old 1990 YJ....so I've been there and done that.
--

M A R S
Premium
Long Island
reply to M A R S

1995, it was $1500 and i have already been hunting down bizarre electrical issues. But that's expected. Some clowns had an amp and a shitty speaker box rigged up. All that is tossed. I degreased under the hood so i can start fresh so i can track down leaks if any. I had to fix burnt wires in the power seat. Had to add about 50 screws that were missing around various interior trim. Unreal how people Jerry-rig things inside a car or truck. But it seems like an actual shop did all the mechanical work.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to M A R S

I see you picked up a ZJ with maybe a NV-247 transfer case.

Personally, I like the part-time 4x4 on the NV-242 transfer case, aka SelecTrac. I've driven ZJ's with the QuadraTrac case and they're just not my cup of tea. Not to mention, the fluids for the VariLok system are more expensive come fluid swap time. The NV-242 takes ATF4.

This past January I bought a '99 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 242 CID I6 and NV-242 transfer case with 132k miles for $3100. It's needed some work which I expected for the mileage and age, but it's been a good truck so far.

As mentioned, the I6 engine can be thirsty, and given your drivetrain setup (full time 4WD) it will guzzle more than typical. With my WJ, if I take it easy on the throttle driving through the city with half tank of gas (what I typically fill it up to to avoid burning it quicker due to added weight), I can expect to range up to 170 miles before the gas light turns on. Driving it through the Jersey turnpike, I can average up to 21 MPG, or about 210 miles out of half tank of gas before gas light turns on. Not bad for an SUV IMO.

A good tip of advice: the I6 suffers from the infamous Chrysler shake if you don't get rid of the carbon deposits often. Every 3,000 miles when I change the oil, I'll run a can of Sea Foam via gas tank and another one via throttle body while hot. Before I do this, I'll pour 7 ounces of yet another can of Sea Foam through the crankshaft 100 miles before a scheduled oil change. Doing this will help clean valves and rings inside your engine. I've been doing this to my WJ since I've owned it and the engine runs a lot smoother than it did when I first bought it.

Enjoy your ZJ

M A R S
Premium
Long Island

THANKS! First bit of advice on my ZJ. And yeah its full time 4WD. Im just learning everything now about it.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

Another thing; avoid the temptation of purchasing expensive spark plugs. That I6 likes the cheap NGK or Champion single fork coil plugs best.

Also, your ZJ has an external fuel filter that sits right ahead of the gas tank. It would be a good idea to replace that soon if it looks like it never was changed. I recall several headaches with hesitation and stalling tracing down to that. It's very easy to swap it yourself and the part only costs $10.

Your 95 likely has the analog odometer. In order to get the computer to tell you what's wrong with the car if the CEL comes on, you start the ignition at off then turn on/off on/off on/off and finally on. The CEL will blink any number of times in two separate intervals depending on the applicable trouble code(s). Count the number of blinks then look up the trouble code this way online. If your ZJ has the digital odometer, try the same on/off sequence. The odometer will display the trouble code.

Your ZJ has a mechanical engine cooling fan and for some reason it seems to like sounding like it has a turbo installed when you floor the pedal while the engine is cold. That oddity goes away when the engine warms.

Your ZJ likely has the 42RE 4-speed transmission (it's really a 3-speed with an overdrive gear). This tranny likes to make a droning sound when shifting in reverse when cold. As long as the fluid is not worn or burned, that behavior is normal.

Alright.. I'll stop sounding like a hardcore Jeep fan. You already have lots to learn. lol