spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Thanatos

@comcast.net

[Signals] shaperprobe aborting due to high packet loss..

Okay, so I have a motorola sb5101 modem that comcast literally just replaced my RCA modem with, and I am getting terrible terrible packet loss.. Now, I have done some reading on what my modem frequencies and signal should be, and from what I read, mine is terribly low!

My signal to noise ratio is 37 dB
My power level is 1dBmV downstream, and 44dBmV upstream.

Are these levels good, bad, or really bad? lol. Thanks for any help!

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

Those numbers are very good. Are you seeing the packet loss just in shaperprobe, or elsewhere as well?

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Thanatos

Make sure you have the latest version (January '12) version of shaperprobe. The earlier version had high packet loss problems.

»www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffpr···obe.html

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to Thanatos

said by Thanatos :

Okay, so I have a motorola sb5101 modem that comcast literally just replaced my RCA modem with, and I am getting terrible terrible packet loss.. Now, I have done some reading on what my modem frequencies and signal should be, and from what I read, mine is terribly low!

My signal to noise ratio is 37 dB
My power level is 1dBmV downstream, and 44dBmV upstream.

Are these levels good, bad, or really bad? lol. Thanks for any help!

Honestly, there is no way to tell if those levels are good or bad from here. They are within comcast install specs and within docsis operational specifications. That said there is more to cable than just between here and here. If you are on a 7 value tap and a HSI only customer that return is crap if you are on a 26 value tap that return is rocking. Without knowing more about your specific plant there is no absolute CLEAR answer.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to Thanatos

I think with ShaperProbe the "high packet loss" is on the servers THEY use.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

It could be if there is server side congestion, or it could be a routing path issue to them, or it could be a "last mile" RF signal / connection quality issue.