Search similar:

uniqs

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?
join:2002-11-14

1 edit

shwing

Need Advice on how to properly cancel Cogeco Home Phone

I am think of going with Wind mobile as my home phone, that way I would be saving money by using my cell phone as my main phone.
What do I NEED to know/do to ensure the transition is seamless
Thank In Advance
PS, I ask now so that I can avoid any BS they may arise by having my number ported ect..
Should I have my number ported first then call Cogeco?
here is the plan I am looking at, it's the $40.00 one:
»www2.windmobile.ca/en/Pa ··· ans.aspx

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

When I went from Bell to Cogeco, I called Cogeco and they looked after it seamlessly. I expect it's handled by the people you switch over to.

However, I have no idea if you can transition land line numbers to mobile numbers... that might be a problem.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to shwing

Premium Member

to shwing
Definitely talk to Wind about this pronto, they're the ones you should be talking to. You'd probably want to do that sooner rather than later.

Mike

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?

1 edit

shwing

here's how it went down...Wind can not port a Cogeco number, so they ported it to my Fido account, and then ported it back from there, went smooth as silk
so I am now signed on (40..0/month plan)
should I now phone Cogeco to cancel the phone? I like Cogeco and want to do this right and I also don't want any termination fee's..I should also call Fido, but I am on the 10.00 voucher program so I will have to see if i even need to cancel it or would it just expire, I have 80.00 in saved/carry over minutes lol ... so I be using all that up in Aug
please advise
thanks
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster

Premium Member

The only early termination would occur if you were on contract with them.

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?

shwing

Thanks mate!
Marcer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer

Premium Member

Hey,

With any port, your new provider contacts your old provider to arrange the # to be transferred. As part of that request, the Phone service at your old provider will be cancelled on the date of the port, and any fees/contract penalties/etc. are processed by the billing system.

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?

shwing

UPDATE
still waiting for the number to be ported from Fido...grr
shwing

shwing to Marcer

to Marcer
said by Marcer:

Hey,

With any port, your new provider contacts your old provider to arrange the # to be transferred. As part of that request, the Phone service at your old provider will be cancelled on the date of the port, and any fees/contract penalties/etc. are processed by the billing system.

well my 1 years contract for the home phone expired 4 months ago...so I am I good to go without calling Cogeco? thank You
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

1 edit

rudeboy24

when i ported my number out to voip.ms from cogeco i didn't need to call them i didn't have a contract either. now my phone costs just under $10 a month

Also like to point out if your outside the WIND coverage area you pay 20 cents per minute.

»www.windmobile.ca/en/pag ··· age.aspx

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to shwing

Premium Member

to shwing
said by shwing:

well my 1 years contract for the home phone expired 4 months ago...so I am I good to go without calling Cogeco? thank You

Still 30 days cancellation notice required if I'm not mistaken.

This ain't over until the billing lady sings.

Mike

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?

shwing

said by dillyhammer:

said by shwing:

Still 30 days cancellation notice required if I'm not mistaken.

This ain't over until the billing lady sings.

Mike

that's what i was thinking...
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to shwing

to shwing
Your new service provider's order to your old service provider to port the number initiates the disconnect. As long as your number is still in a "working" status, it is portable. If you call your old provider first to cancel, there is the chance that if they disconnect early, they will refuse to port your number to your new provider.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by HeadSpinning:

Your new service provider's order to your old service provider to port the number initiates the disconnect.

... and starts the clock on the 30 days notice, if in the likely event it is required.

Mike

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

... and starts the clock on the 30 days notice, if in the likely event it is required.

No it doesn't. The port happens as soon as it is realistically possible to facilitate. The old provider than just bills you for 30 days of non-existent service if their TOS required you to provide that, and there's not a thing you can do about it (albeit, I've hard of some people arguing this successfully with the CCTS and getting the 30 days waived)

It's a Catch 22, and it's beyond retarded - you can't notify your old provider that you're going to port out because it'll flag your number in a pending disconnection state which prevents it from being ported out, and you can't have your new provider provide the 30 days notice on your behalf because the older provider must comply with a port request as soon as it is technically possible to facilitate.
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

rudeboy24

when i ported out to voip.ms it took 10 days i started the port on the 3rd and it was complete in the 13th. then they billed me half a month.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

When I ported two business lines from Bell to Allstream it took three days and we were billed a full month for early cancellation.

Those lines will be ported from Allstream to voip.ms in the not-too-distant future. We'll see how that goes.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Gone:

Those lines will be ported from Allstream to voip.ms in the not-too-distant future. We'll see how that goes.

Business lines?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yes.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

I'll watch for updates as you will be my guinea pig.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

I'll watch for updates as you will be my guinea pig.

I've had it running for two months with the Allstream lines forwarding to temporary DIDs. Haven't had any issues, not even with faxing over it.

Porting at this point is just a formality and will save us the cost of the Allstream lines, but I need to sort out some Internet connectivity issues first before I do that. Breaking the DSL "contract" with Bell is going to be fun because even though I'm sure they auto-renewed on a one year I went through my last 14 months of Bell bills and there wasn't a single mention in any of the bills of the contract being up for renewal or that it was being auto-renewed. I look forward to seeing them try to get a dime out of me for that.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

It's a Catch 22, and it's beyond retarded

Agreed.

Mike
cablesmurfet
join:2012-05-28
Burlington, ON

cablesmurfet to Gone

to Gone
If you have a contract with Bell, you will be charged for breaking it. When we switched from Bell to Cogeco three years ago we broke our contract and got penalized. We protested, but that did not work. Even though the internet was not working, we were still charged.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by cablesmurfet:

If you have a contract with Bell, you will be charged for breaking it. When we switched from Bell to Cogeco three years ago we broke our contract and got penalized. We protested, but that did not work. Even though the internet was not working, we were still charged.

Oh I have no doubt they'll charge me, but if they auto-renewed the contract without notifying me in one of my statements that the contract was going to be auto-renewed I have absolutely no intention of paying them a dime in cancellation fees.