dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

Internet upgrade (turbo 20-ultimate 55)?

Click for full size
What is going to happen to my Turbo 14? Is that going to automatically change to Turbo 20? Will I need to get a new modem with DOCSIS 3 support?
»www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/ ··· p?id=107

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Probably grandfathered.
robman50

robman50

what does that mean?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by robman50:

what does that mean?

It means customers who have Turbo 14 right now get to keep it, but no new customers will be able to get that package.
robman50

robman50

And then in a month or so they will automatically switch it? This happened before a while back, it was before Turbo 14 came out. I think than it was called 'standard' which later became Turbo 14 and the 'lite' packages became Express?
Marcer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer

Premium Member

Turbo 20 and higher Packages require a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. If you want to upgrade, you can call in, or visit the Cogeco Store in St. Catharines.
robman50

robman50

I don't see any advantages with Turbo 20 vs Turbo 14 other than a slight speed increase. IMHO it is not really worth an upgrade. But it is nice to know they have upgrade the system in this town.
robman50

robman50

Will the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade affect the digital cable or the voip phone service?
Marcer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer

Premium Member

If you have Cogeco Phone, you will require a Tech to visit and change out the Modem/MTA unit.

There is no change to the Digital Cable, as the services operate on separate frequencies.
robman50

robman50

said by Marcer:

If you have Cogeco Phone, you will require a Tech to visit and change out the Modem/MTA unit.

Will there be any advantages/disadvantages to the phone system if we get a tech to swap the modem? The modem we have now for the Cogeco phone/Internet is the DHG525.
robman50

robman50

Is it worth upgrading to Turbo 20 from 14 for only $1 more?

Shyte
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
NF, ON

Shyte

Premium Member

said by robman50:

Is it worth upgrading to Turbo 20 from 14 for only $1 more?

I would say yes. The turbo 14 is 14/1 and the turbo 20 is 20/1.5

Shyte
robman50

robman50

would they put me in an 12 month promo discount?

largo162
@cgocable.net

largo162 to robman50

Anon

to robman50
I just called customer service and they told me that I can upgrade to turbo 20 by taking my old modem to the storefront in St. Catharines Pen Centre and swapping it for a DOCIS 3.0 modem. BUT, there would be a one-time charge of $49.95. Is this correct?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

The "modem upgrade fee" rears its ugly head.

I haven't hid my feelings over what a load of bullshit I find that to be, considering you're doing them a favour by switching to a lower-speed Doc 3 tier instead of staying on what is a higher-speed Doc 2 tier.
robman50

robman50 to largo162

to largo162
said by largo162 :

BUT, there would be a one-time charge of $49.95. Is this correct?

Well that is just stupid if that part is correct. I always thought the modem rental fee was part of the internet price.

Shyte
Premium Member
NF, ON

Shyte

Premium Member

said by robman50:

said by largo162 :

BUT, there would be a one-time charge of $49.95. Is this correct?

Well that is just stupid if that part is correct. I always thought the modem rental fee was part of the internet price.

Me and a friend of mine went to the Pen storefront and changed to the Turbo 20 and were not charged this $49.95 fee. Not sure what to tell you. Guess you could just play dumb, bring your modem in to swap and cause a fuss if they bring it up.

Shyte.
robman50

robman50

Yeah that sounds about right. Maybe that $49.95 fee is if you are new or maybe there is a modem rental fee included with the T20 pack or that $49.95 is for a one-time purchase.
robman50

robman50

maybe that fee is for that wireless modem?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by robman50:

maybe that fee is for that wireless modem?

No. It's a fee for "upgrading" your modem. Nothing else. You don't own anything. There's no wireless. And no lube. It's a fee, because they can.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "well that is just stupid".

Not as stupid as calling your customers thieves or undesirable... but pretty damn close.

Mike
robman50

robman50

So I should just forget the whole idea of upgrading to Turbo 20? It's basically the same as 14 but just a few Mbps faster. I would take it if it was a free upgrade or the bandwidth cap was greater than 80GB

Shyte
Premium Member
NF, ON

Shyte

Premium Member

said by robman50:

So I should just forget the whole idea of upgrading to Turbo 20? It's basically the same as 14 but just a few Mbps faster. I would take it if it was a free upgrade or the bandwidth cap was greater than 80GB

It sounds like your mind is already made up. I told you my actual experience I had when exchanging my modem, I DID NOT have to pay this fee, so the choice is yours now. For me only $1 more was worth the 6 down and the extra .5 up.

Shyte

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?
join:2002-11-14

shwing to robman50

to robman50
I was charged to upgrade my modem when i went from 14 ---->20
robman50

robman50

No fee for a new modem than great.
Fee for a new modem than that sucks.
Who knows I might just drop Cogeco all together and try out Start.ca or try out TekSavvy DSL.
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

rudeboy24 to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
I called to upgrade when it first came to my area I was told it was an install fee. So I said I can install it myself ,then they said u can't install it your self a tech needs to install it due to warranty purposes. So I said no thanks im not paying $50 for that

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

"Warranty Purposes" ?

For the love of...
rudeboy24
Welland, ON

1 edit

rudeboy24

GOUGEco is a joke, they make stuff up all the time ..like when i called them to get a second phone line (before i switched to voip.ms) and they told me the second line couldn't have call waiting or any add-on because it didn't support it ..and then later i called and asked if i could port my number out to another provider. and they tried to keep me as a customer so i said if you can beat $6.50 a month with all the addons ill stay ..then they proceeded to tell me ..oh if you get a voip phone u will go over your cap all the time and have to pay overages that would end up making it more expensive to have voip ...i laughed and said "my usage is 40-50GB of 80 GB a month you think voip uses that much i would have to be on the phone 24/7 to use 50GB" ..lol

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to robman50

Premium Member

to robman50
said by robman50:

I might just drop Cogeco all together and try out Start.ca or try out TekSavvy DSL.

Two inquiries well worth making, for sure.
You know.... for "warranty purposes".

Mike
rudeboy24
Welland, ON

rudeboy24

Start is the best choice in GOUGEco land ..... for "warranty purposes".