uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Events are LIVE on NBCOlympics.com

All the events can be seen live on the web site(NBCOlympics.com) and also using their iPad app.

That they are showing events of highest interest only during prime time on TV is nothing different than any other Olympics when the Olympics was overseas and not in the US. Their decision is correct based on the ratings they are getting for their prime time coverage.

So, if you want live, go to the web site. The only complaint I see as legit has been that their live streams often buffer and stutter and fail. You can partially blame that on their choice of streaming partner - YouTube. Evidently Google & YouTube weren't ready to handle the load and for the 1st few days have failed badly. Though the streaming has gotten better the last day or so.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

FiremedicJM

join:2002-05-23
Byron, CA

The "LIVE" events are not even actually live..They are on a 2-3 minute delay. Why NBC is doing this is unknown. If you watch BBC Vs NBC you will see the difference..Makes it really frustrating when you are watching an event and have the Live scoreboard up and the score comes up before the competitor is finished.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to FFH

You can only watch them online if you have a qualifying cable subscription.

They are showing during prime time to make as much money on advertisers as possible. This is also why they don't show everything. It's all about the money to them, I don't blame them for this, that is what businesses do, but this is one time that they are going about it all in the wrong way and it will damage NBCs image for some time.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

said by ArrayList:

And prey-tell why would NBC care if you are a cable TV subscriber in order to give you access to the Olympics app?

Oh that's right, they're owned by Comcast. That's the reason right there.

More "benefits" of this merger I see.
--
Romney 2012 - Put an adult in charge.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

Precisely! And it's the same reason they could broadcast additional content on digital subchannels of their stations but chose not to do that. And before anyone says that setting something like that up would take time, yes, it would, but NBC has known for years that they'd be broadcasting the Olympics.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

In my house the Olympics have become background noise, mainly because knowing the outcomes of the events beforehand really defeats the purposes of watching the Games.

My boy loved women's volleyball and the swimming-related sports though.
--

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

said by ArrayList:

And prey-tell why would NBC care if you are a cable TV subscriber in order to give you access to the Olympics app?

Oh that's right, they're owned by Comcast. That's the reason right there.

More "benefits" of this merger I see.

The online access is available to dozens of pay TV cable/telco/sat companies.

Go here and click on the Pull-down box of the list of providers. It isn't just Comcast. There are dozens:
»www.nbcolympics.com/liveextra/he···.html#Q4
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

My boy loved women's volleyball and the swimming-related sports though.

This.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

The online access is available to dozens of pay TV cable/telco/sat companies.

But this just begs the question, why should NBC care if people have a pay TV subscription or not in order to watch live events that would be rebroadcast later OTA at zero cost to the viewer?

I understand that from a business perspective NBC can sell access to Games coverage any way it sees fit, but from a practical perspective, my cynical side sees it as a way to give people an "incentive" to sign up for such a service. Comcast just happens to be one beneficiary of that.

I liked a previous poster's suggestion to pay for VPN access to a box in the UK and then stream the BBC's coverage. If I was more interested in the games, that would definitely be an option I would consider. I'm not signing back up for Cable TV just to watch the Games live.
--

NickD
Premium
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to ArrayList

I like that they show the highlights during prime time. Like most Americans, I work 9-5 and therefore can't watch the Olympics all day.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

I've been using a private VPN connection to watch the BBC iPlayer since their coverage is hands down better in quality and presentation. As for the YouTube/NBC streaming, I've not seen loading problems. All I see is horrible Flash Player optimization. YouTube's players on 1080p don't normally consume a CPU core and that's because when I'm visiting the site normally, I have a nifty Greasemonkey script forcing the player to use the GPU for everything, called StageVideo which works amazingly cutting usage down to 1-2% of a core. YouTube's embedded players have always had issues with eating CPU more than the normal player on the site, and the fact that the script won't run on NBC's site is another issue so I can't force it (as I don't want to watch in full screen, who does that on a computer while doing work?!). The script, by the way for past events also removes YouTube's stupid buffering policy, which makes it more comfortable to view 1080p on slow connections.

I do hope Google's Network is standing up to the extra load though if it's generating enough. I know they routinely have issues with each ISP and YouTube's speeds.

Also, yes the paywall is quite ridiculous. It's broken on many machines I use anyways. I notice that since all of the streams are being saved to video files, I really wonder what they're going to do as far as putting up older events for replay.

NickD
Premium
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ
reply to pnh102

Because NBC gets money per subscriber

AricBrown

join:2002-12-11
Amarillo, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

And the stupid website actually thinks you have the subscription.. sometimes it doesn't know you do.. like me