dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
garychat
join:2012-07-31

garychat

Some of your nameservers did not respond. ??

I have setup cpanel and whm sucessfully my external ip works

but when I go to tesdns I get this
Test Results Status
Checking domain format: Hostname looks good. Pass
Checking for parent nameservers: Found 13 parent nameservers. Pass
Checking for parent glue: Glue from root nameservers to parent nameservers is missing. This means that an extra lookup is required to find your parent nameservers. There is nothing you can do about this. Info
NS records at parent nameserver: Your NS records at your parent nameserver are:

ns2.chesthost.com [64.59.168.15] TTL 172800
ns1.chesthost.com [64.59.168.13] TTL 172800

Provided by a.gtld-servers.net Info
Nameservers listed at parent: Your nameservers are listed at the parent nameserver. Pass
Glue at parent nameserver: Glue is provided from parent nameserver to your nameservers. This means they provided the IP address of your nameservers, so one less step is required in resolving your domain. This gives better performance. Pass
Nameserver name validity: The parent nameserver responded with NS records that appear valid. Pass
Nameserver A records: The following nameservers do not have A records:

ns2.chesthost.com
ns1.chesthost.com

You should have A records for all nameservers. Fail
Nameserver A records match parent glue: No A records provided - test cannot be performed. Info
NS records at your nameservers: Your NS records at your nameservers are:

ns2.chesthost.com reported:

ns1.chesthost.com reported:
Info
Nameservers listed at your namservers: Your nameservers are listed at your nameservers. Pass
Glue at your nameservers: Glue is provided by your nameservers. This means they provided the IP address of your nameservers. Pass
Nameserver A records match nameserver glue: No glue - test cannot be performed. Info
Parent glue matches your glue: The glue provided by the parent nameserver and your nameserver matches. Pass
Nameservers match (parent): Some nameservers returned by the parent nameserver are not returned by your nameservers. The following differences were found:

ns1.chesthost.com
ns2.chesthost.com
Fail
Nameservers match (yours): All nameservers returned by the your nameservers are also returned by the parent nameserver. Pass
All nameservers responded: Some of your nameservers did not respond. The following did not respond:

ns1.chesthost.com
ns2.chesthost.com
Fail
Only root nameservers returned: Your nameservers returned at least 1 non-root nameserver referernce. Pass
Any root nameservers returned: Your nameservers did not return any root nameserver referernces. Pass
All of your nameservers match: Your nameservers returned different nameserver records.

At your nameservers I found:
At parent nameserver I found:
ns1.chesthost.com
ns2.chesthost.com
Fail
All of your nameservers return an A record: Some of your nameservers failed to return an A record for your domain. This is probably not what you want. The following nameservers did not return an A record:

ns1.chesthost.com
ns2.chesthost.com
Warning
Recursive lookups: None of your nameservers support recursive lookups. Pass
Nameservers respond authoritatively: Some of your nameservers did not respond authoritatively for your domain. The following nameservers did not respond authoritatively:

ns1.chesthost.com
ns2.chesthost.com
Warning
Nameserver name validity: All of your nameservers responded with NS records that appear valid. Pass
Number of nameservers: You have only 2 nameservers, which is the minimum allowed. There is a chance that they could both fail simultaneously. Although not necessary, you should consider increasing the number of nameservers to 3. Warning
CNAME returned: No CNAMES found when looking up your domain at your nameservers. Pass
Nameservers on different class C: Your nameservers are all on the same class C IP namespace. This is an indication (but not proof) that they may be co-located, which could be a risk should the internet connection to that location fail. Warning
Nameservers on private IPs: Your nameservers appear to be on public IP addresses. Pass
SOA record: None of your nameservers returned an SOA record for your domain. This is very bad. Skipping SOA tests. Fail
Expand your moderator at work

Jumpy
@shawcable.net

Jumpy to garychat

Anon

to garychat

Re: Some of your nameservers did not respond. ??

Are you trying to use Shaw's caching name servers to respond authoritatively for your domain?

You may want to ask these questions of your registrar, hosting provider, or software vendor; I don't see how they're related to Shaw services at all.

I also recommend you give this a read : »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do ··· e_System

iseverynamet
@shawcable.net

iseverynamet to garychat

Anon

to garychat
Looks like you need to add A records for your nameservers. So in your DNS zone for chesthost.com:

ns1           IN      A      your.ns1.ip.address
ns2           IN      A      your.ns2.ip.address

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

C:\Users\kevin>nslookup
Default Server:
Address: 192.168.5.13

> set type=a
> server 8.8.8.8
Default Server: google-public-dns-a.googl
Address: 8.8.8.8

> ns1.chesthost.com
Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: ns1.chesthost.com
Address: 184.70.229.194

> ns2.chesthost.com
Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: ns2.chesthost.com
Address: 184.70.229.194

Would indicate to me that there are A records for ns1 and ns2.chesthost.com, they are the same IP, so that may cause some DNS tests to fail, also, because you can open all your sites in your browser, your DNS is working as it should.
kevinds

kevinds

Premium Member

Also,

the ns1.chesthost.com and ns2.chesthost.com

are not the authorative DNS servers for your domain, the ns1.he.net ns servers are, and again, this isn't an issue.