how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

We need a new push for NasaTV and Cartoon Network HD

Of all the channels we have now, still no NasaTV or Cartoon Network HD...

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Cartoon Network HD "may" be on the way. NASA you can forget, especially since the manned program is defunct, there's next to nothing on there. All of their content is free on line.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

1 edit

If you have an Android product, you can get the NASA app from the Google Play Store and watch it in HD.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

said by PJL:

If you have an Android produce, you can get the NASA app from the Google Play Store and watch it in HD.

Android is in the fruit and veggie business now?

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

said by kes601:

said by PJL:

If you have an Android product, you can get the NASA app from the Google Play Store and watch it in HD.

Android is in the fruit and veggie business now?

No it's not, and I've fired the typist.

join:2012-06-27
New York, NY
reply to McBane

You can already watch NASA HD for free on the AMC-18 satellite:
»www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

The channel is offered free of charge to all providers. Verizon won't carry it because their "state of the art" fiber optics network doesn't have the bandwidth for it.

This channel is already on Google Fiber's list for carriage day one because they are using IPTV and it's free to carry.

I will agree that the lack of Cartoon Network HD is outrageous. I'm planning a move to Kansas City...

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ
reply to McBane

Cartoon is the next 1st HD add, from what I understand, whenever that may be ...

FiosTV1080I

join:2010-09-06
united state
reply to McBane

Q4 of this year if we get lucky for Cartoon Network in HD

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to McBane

I wonder if Toon and BBC America will show up soon after the Olympics?

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
reply to FiosTV1080I

said by FiosTV1080I:

Q4 of this year if we get lucky for Cartoon Network in HD

That would be awesome. I'm tired of having to go to iTunes or elsewhere to find HD versions of cartoon network shows, especially since the SD feed has been letterboxed for at least two years.

Ndnnf23

@verizon.net

Not to cause problems but why should a channel that only shows cartoons take precendent over channels with actual human beings or hell even Spanish channel in hd? I don't watch cartoon net ever so I fail to see how that channel is a worthy add - though I'd take it over stupid fsc hd which gets no ratings but demand was so strong for it by 2 people. We should focus on more mainstream/ hot broads channels and not cartoons.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to McBane

Many of the new shows are CGI animated, and the difference between SD and HD is night and day.

rantanamo

@verizon.net
reply to Ndnnf23

Cartoon Network has a lot of adult oriented content and a lot of beloved content, and as other have mention before, animation benefits the most from HD. Would love to see the rest of the Black Dynamite season and upcoming Robot Chicken and Boondocks in HD. Night and Day.

Ike1

join:2012-06-02
Newark, NJ

said by rantanamo :

animation benefits the most from HD. Night and Day.

Agreed. But I did not know this until I saw it for myself. This is probably why Ndnnf23 is confused, if he/she never watches it. There is some (not all) animation that looks amazing in HD.

Also, believe it or not, Ndnnf23, but Cartoon Network is a top-10 cable channel in the ratings. Its nighttime block of "Adult Swim" programming gets very big ratings by cable standards, even for reruns. Cartoon Network is BY FAR the highest-rated channel not in HD on FiOS.

Cartoons are big business these days, and not just for kids. It's not the 70s anymore. A lot of creative people figure they can get away with crazier and more surreal stuff in cartoon form than in live action form. And they can.

As for Ndnnf23's call for "hot broads channels" -- umm -- LOL -- maybe I shouldn't say anything. OK, how about this: I'm all in favor of that!

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by Ike1:

said by rantanamo :

animation benefits the most from HD. Night and Day.

Agreed. But I did not know this until I saw it for myself. This is probably why Ndnnf23 is confused, if he/she never watches it. There is some (not all) animation that looks amazing in HD.

Also, believe it or not, Ndnnf23, but Cartoon Network is a top-10 cable channel in the ratings. Its nighttime block of "Adult Swim" programming gets very big ratings by cable standards, even for reruns. Cartoon Network is BY FAR the highest-rated channel not in HD on FiOS.

Cartoons are big business these days, and not just for kids. It's not the 70s anymore. A lot of creative people figure they can get away with crazier and more surreal stuff in cartoon form than in live action form. And they can.

As for Ndnnf23's call for "hot broads channels" -- umm -- LOL -- maybe I shouldn't say anything. OK, how about this: I'm all in favor of that!

I find one cartoon network show during the daytime that could be seen as a 18-34 demographic success and that is the regular show. I am glad that Time Warner Cable launched their startover service on cartoon network HD on the iGuide boxes in my area and the regular show is startover enabled. So I feel sorry for you guys not having Cartoon Network HD I live in a Uverse area so yeah TWC is better.

New York, NY

There's two. Don't forget about Adventure Time.

Gumball is also pretty good but seems to have less of an 18-34 following.

URFloorMatt

join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

I wonder if Toon and BBC America will show up soon after the Olympics?

We have four slots, unless Verizon saves the 3D slot for special events. My guesses: CN, BBC America, ESPN Deportes, Univision Deportes. And I don't have a problem with the latter two as long as they are available to everyone and not just Spanish language subscribers.
Expand your moderator at work

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to Anon

Re: We need a new push for NasaTV and Cartoon Network HD

there is a SAP feed for cartoon network and TWC in my area has it on its own channel as the default audio so we have Cartoon network, Cartoon Network SAP, and Cartoon Network HD.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

I would also very much like to see BBC America HD. Jeremy Clarkson is my idol.

prisaz

join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to McBane

Many channels have been pushed for, and continually get voted for over at Verizon. But it is VERY clear that Verizon will provide these when they see fit, regardless of what customers want. BBC America HD has over 400 votes. NASA has 112 and contiunes to climb. I reguested NASA officially in 2010, on their voting board. Previously it had been requested years prior to that, in a channels requested thread that a Verizon Senior Manager (Joe) had promised to compile statictics from and create a channels vote board in their forums. It was added to the Ideas Board, and any statistics are kept well hidden. Other than the fact you can go look at how many times something was voted for.

I had sorted content requests, and the number of request, and filtered duplicates from a single customer, out of a channels request thread, gave it to them, and it was trashed. This was prior to any Ideas Board being created for requesting channels. Go tell them you want NASA, and see if it matters.

NASA
It is in the content queue, but lower priority.

OH someone asked to see the queue, and I got a good laugh out of that request. I hardly think Verizon would release that!

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your···p/240550

New York, NY

NASA HD is available for free via satellite.

Also, if it weren't a capacity issue, then Verizon should've carried NASA HD the day it launched. NASA does not charge providers anything to carry their channel.

Pentagon HD is another free-to-carry government channel that Verizon should have on their service.

Verizon can try and pretend it's not a capacity issue all they want but we all know the way they've set up the TV portion of their service their "state of the art" fiber optics are just as capacity limited as cable's copper is.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

I guess I didn't realize that NASA wasn't carried at all by Verizon until I searched for the channel Sunday night.

Actually, FoxNews relayed the NASA HD feed for several minutes as they covered the rover landing at 10:30 Pacific Time.

I went to bed shortly after they announced that the landing was successful.

I'd like NASA HD, but I'd much rather see the Pac 12 network carried by Verizon this fall.

Expand your moderator at work

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to McBane

Re: We need a new push for NasaTV and Cartoon Network HD

Science Channel carried NASA TV originated programming for years, might still. HDNet had the launches. So there was really very, very little NASA TV we weren't getting on FIOS in HD.

New York, NY

Click for full size
NASA HD 1
Click for full size
NASA HD 2
Click for full size
NASA HD 3
Click for full size
NASA HD 4
said by Greg2600:

Science Channel carried NASA TV originated programming for years, might still. HDNet had the launches. So there was really very, very little NASA TV we weren't getting on FIOS in HD.

That's not true anymore. NASA HD has a lot of content and HDNet is now AXS TV. I haven't seen any NASA coverage since the rebrand.

FiOS needs NASA HD. The distribution feed is a perfect fit for FiOS - it's 720p MPEG-2 with a bitrate of around 15 Mbps. Verizon can add it to their system without having to re-encode it since its bitrate is below 18 Mbps and it's not H.264.

Here's some screenshots from NASA HD's coverage of Curiosity on Mars taken straight from their C Band distribution feed.

NASA HD is already scheduled to be carried by Google Fiber on day one. No surprises there, since it is offered for free and since Google Fiber is IPTV based it will be the first TV system with truly 'unlimited' capacity for HD channels unlike the current QAM-based Verizon FiOS.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

If you all remember, before I left, I told you it would be some time before there'd be any new HD - because there simply isn't any room for it! (Minus space saved for the Olympics channels).

But, in regards to Nasa TV, it's a puzzling channel.

People clamor for it on the Verizon boards, the Comcast boards, the Time Warner / BHN boards. No one carries it. But yet small 3rd tier cable co's such as Service Electric in Central PA carry both the SD and HD simulcasts. It is strange that no big name MSO provides it.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

New York, NY

Bright House actually does carry NASA HD now.

sikorski

@verizon.net
reply to McBane

yes I agree about the NASA tv. I have a 52 in tv and I am a science buff. We want NASA TV