uniqs
crazycanuck1
join:2008-12-21
North York, ON

1 edit

crazycanuck1

North York, ON

I just re-ran the speed test using »speedtest.comcast.net/
and got a download/upload result of 59 Mbps/10.39Mbps.

The results from the comcast site are consistently better then other test results. Are they biased? can they be believed?

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson

Premium Member

Re: [Speed] Northeast speed changes coming.

It seems like most people here agree that Shaper Probe is more accurate to measure speed than any of the speed test sites

»www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· obe.html

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad to crazycanuck1

MVM

to crazycanuck1
said by crazycanuck1:

I just re-ran the speed test using »speedtest.comcast.net/
and got a download/upload result of 59 Mbps/10.39Mbps.

The results from the comcast site are consistently better then other test results. Are they biased? can they be believed?

I believe that when a Comcast customer uses the Comcast/Xfinity speedtest site, the servers they can select are all Comcast ones, so the data transfers stay within Comcast's network and don't experience any slowdowns that occur when interconnecting with servers in other ISP networks.

If I select the same Comcast server on the similar »www.speedtest.net site, I get basically the same result, but if I select a server that is located much closer but which belongs to another ISP, the results I get are usually not as good.
bgoodbody
Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
Netgear WNR3500L

bgoodbody

This raises an important issue:
What is the purpose of a speedtest?

I use it for consistency. Am I getting a consistent speed over time. Therefore, I have no problem using the Comcast one.

For what am I really getting (no Speedboost Impact). Then I use ShaperProbe.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by bgoodbody:

I use it for consistency. Am I getting a consistent speed over time. Therefore, I have no problem using the Comcast one.

I've long since given up on speedtests. The only true speed test I use is sustained downloads to see if I get what I pay for. Even Shaper probe has be unreliable for me in a few instances.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by Chris 313:

said by bgoodbody:

I've long since given up on speedtests. The only true speed test I use is sustained downloads to see if I get what I pay for. Even Shaper probe has be unreliable for me in a few instances.

They can be useful. I don't use speed tests for anything more than to verify that my connection is working as expected. It's simply a first step that I can take in troubleshooting before applying more exhaustive procedures.

I could see in a few seconds that the recent upgrade was not in effect through a quick speed test. After resetting my modem/router, I could then verify that the speed increase was working, all through a simple online speed test.
sendjunkmail
join:2008-08-01

sendjunkmail to crazycanuck1

to crazycanuck1
Your getting some pretty good download results. Your results can be deceiving because from test to test. But If you are consistently getting that speed from test to test, then you can confirm with speedtest.net which has more test sites. Of course I use shaperprobe and a number of other test sites.

Also a lot of different conditions can produce different results even on the same machine not withstanding the conditions outside of the home. Example:
Wireless N

Wireless G