uniqs
pkorx8
join:2003-06-19
San Francisco, CA

pkorx8

Ironic...

When Tim Berners-Lee said:

"This is for everyone."
*Except when NBC decides it is NOT for everyone in the US.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by pkorx8:

When Tim Berners-Lee said:

"This is for everyone."
*Except when NBC decides it is NOT for everyone in the US.

How? *EVERYONE* can watch it (provided that they have at least a fast-enough internet connection or a TV capable of receiving their free OTA signal)
pkorx8
join:2003-06-19
San Francisco, CA

pkorx8

Not talking about the ota broadcast.
Berners-lee implied the internet was invented for everyone to use.

Its ironic because NBC does not provide internet streaming of the venues, as their definition of "everyone" is everyone who pays a PREMIUM cable subscription.

I'm not happy that NBC decided their taped delayed, redacted version of the opening ceremony is "what the American public will like..."
The current state and technology of the internet allows real time live streaming of world events, this is not the Atlanta 1996 Olympics where taped delays are acceptable.

For me, this is the first time net neutrality and internet censorship has directly affected me. Isn't this exactly what Hilary Clinton condemned China and Iran for doing, censoring the internet for the interest of a special group?
Btw, did China and Iran get live broadcasts of the opening ceremony?

Like dissidents in repressed countries, we are referring to vpn tunnels to watch world events.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by pkorx8:

Not talking about the ota broadcast.
Berners-lee implied the internet was invented for everyone to use.

Its ironic because NBC does not provide internet streaming of the venues, as their definition of "everyone" is everyone who pays a PREMIUM cable subscription.

I'm not happy that NBC decided their taped delayed, redacted version of the opening ceremony is "what the American public will like..."
The current state and technology of the internet allows real time live streaming of world events, this is not the Atlanta 1996 Olympics where taped delays are acceptable.

For me, this is the first time net neutrality and internet censorship has directly affected me. Isn't this exactly what Hilary Clinton condemned China and Iran for doing, censoring the internet for the interest of a special group?
Btw, did China and Iran get live broadcasts of the opening ceremony?

Like dissidents in repressed countries, we are referring to vpn tunnels to watch world events.

Wrong. EVERYONE can. No cable subscription required. But it's easier to echo a lie than check for yourself.