uniqs
share rss forum feed

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1

Bring on the 10gigabit service!

"Google also ignores that Verizon and Cable Labs are already working on delivering bandwidth performance ten times faster than Google Fiber."

Yeah! I could finally get some use out of my gigabit ethernet adapter... or will I need to get a 10gig adapter? Better make sure I enable jumbo frames
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Sure it may be years or decades before they even get to a point that they are ready to actually offer it, but they sure are working on delivering it!

One thing is for sure though... if we never create a demand for more they will never provide more and if there is never competition then they will never innovate.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
reply to OmagicQ

said by OmagicQ:

"Google also ignores that Verizon and Cable Labs are already working on delivering bandwidth performance ten times faster than Google Fiber."

Yeah! I could finally get some use out of my gigabit ethernet adapter... or will I need to get a 10gig adapter? Better make sure I enable jumbo frames

Not all cable co's can push that, on top of that yes u would need a 10gig adapter..

but thats besides the point.., whats after 10gbps for cable? NOTHIN its copper wire.. and cause of that it wont ever fully match up to fiber ever, We also have to worry about the nodes which kinda makes me wonder if comcast can really push 300mbps because with 2 blocks of familys on one node would be pushing the node completely.. but then again as fast as people would be getting their work done it might not have the congestion? wonder if anyone could answer that for me

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to OmagicQ

Ya, I'm sure the next DOCSIS standard will support 10GbE speeds. Maybe if they bonded ALL of the channels, they might come close.

Plus, you'd max out even a SATA-III drive (6gbps) with a connection like that. Could a high end desktop, even today, keep up with a 10GbE connection?

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
reply to Cobra11M

I don't understand the fiber part of the HFC systems so I have a question. What is stopping the cablecos from converting to FTTH? Everything on the poles in most areas is already fiber so how much would it take for them to catch up?

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

said by bobjohnson:

I don't understand the fiber part of the HFC systems so I have a question. What is stopping the cablecos from converting to FTTH? Everything on the poles in most areas is already fiber so how much would it take for them to catch up?

It's more like fiber to the node. It's coax from there out.

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX
reply to Simba7

Not a residential PC. I think it'll be a long time before we see 10gbps residential, lol

However, commercial machines, clusters, etc, can all utilize it.