share rss forum feed

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
kudos:1

4 edits
reply to sm5w2

Re: How to get Bell to fix problems with POTS line?

said by Glen1:

Many times what I will do is "replace something" on a frequent trouble like this. I would replace the outside wire or "drop" on spec or the cable pair...something that I know could cause the trouble. Hopefully doing so . . .

I agree with Glen1.

If you wait to catch / trap an intermittent problem it can take months.

Once you get into the second service call (unresolved) and the information from the customer is “manifested itself as "scratchy" noise they hear on the phone and a loss of Bell dsl service”; the best way to resolve the issue is to eliminate a potential issue by doing something.

If there are (hypothetically) 20 possible causes; checking, changing or replacing 1, 2 or 3; devices and wiring; the problem has to be within the area that has not been checked or changed out.

Doing nothing on 4 – 5 service calls resolves nothing and increases Bell’s end costs because Bell has to resolve the problem eventually.

said by llort :

said by Anonymuss :

Buried wire in an aerial environment for cosmetic reasons is considered CPE, and is the customers responsibility, so let's get a NID on that pole!

What's next? Customers hooking up extension cords and inside wire to the pole? No. The NID must be grounded and the only pratical way to ground a pole mounted nid would be to install a grounding rod but no tech is going to do that. They will just replace the bsw and finish the job.

The Bell system has some of the best grounds and the strand to which the cable is lashed is well grounded. The ground wire connected to the strand could be run down the pole to a pole mounted NID.

Bell could also use 2 pair aerial drop with messenger down the side if the pole to a NID and use the messenger as a ground.

Rick

Edits:

Uploaded a .png image (several times) and for whatever reason it shows a blank area. Image removed.

ctownsend

join:2007-07-10
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

I am having these same issues for about 5 years now.

Funny thing last year it worked great up until 2 months ago. Trouble is (just like yours), when they come to my home, the lines have time to dry out.

Two days ago the problems started when I watered my lawn.
Today, problems again after it rained.

So far the technicians have never been able to solve the problem. One tech went as far as to say that the lines in the area are old, just live with it.

I will post my solution here if they figure it out.

By the way, my phone is also noisy but my internet connection is very poor when the problem occurs.

Today they are sending yet another tech guy. We will see if they have the troubleshooting skills to figure this one out.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com

Everything seems loused up in Ottawa.

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to ctownsend

said by ctownsend:

I am having these same issues for about 5 years now.

Sorry I can't help :-( At least I can offer that I had the exact same issues you are describing. No problems for over ten years then all of a sudden POTS was unreliable and internet speeds were terrible. One of the symptoms was my line would ring every once in a while for no reason. The problem was intermittent and mostly depended on rain.

The first technician climbed the pole and did something. The problem was fixed.

A second problem occurred within a week. The line noise was so bad that the Bell agent taking the information for the ticket could barely hear me. This made it easy to capture exactly what was happening. The problem was intermittent so I considered myself lucky!?

The second technician found that the line had been sliced, discoloured, and causing a short. Looked like a lightning strike or possibly a friction burn ... I dunno. A new line fixed the issue.

In the end Bell did a fantastic job finding and fixing the problems. After each support call Bell showed up the next day. I felt like royalty

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by QuantumPimp:

In the end Bell did a fantastic job finding and fixing the problems. After each support call Bell showed up the next day. I felt like royalty

POTS is classified as a mandated essential service so repair requirements for it are much tighter than most other consumer services.

llort

@rogers.com
reply to RickStep

said by RickStep:

said by Glen1:

Many times what I will do is "replace something" on a frequent trouble like this. I would replace the outside wire or "drop" on spec or the cable pair...something that I know could cause the trouble. Hopefully doing so . . .

I agree with Glen1.

If you wait to catch / trap an intermittent problem it can take months.

Once you get into the second service call (unresolved) and the information from the customer is “manifested itself as "scratchy" noise they hear on the phone and a loss of Bell dsl service”; the best way to resolve the issue is to eliminate a potential issue by doing something.

If there are (hypothetically) 20 possible causes; checking, changing or replacing 1, 2 or 3; devices and wiring; the problem has to be within the area that has not been checked or changed out.

Doing nothing on 4 – 5 service calls resolves nothing and increases Bell’s end costs because Bell has to resolve the problem eventually.

said by llort :

said by Anonymuss :

Buried wire in an aerial environment for cosmetic reasons is considered CPE, and is the customers responsibility, so let's get a NID on that pole!

What's next? Customers hooking up extension cords and inside wire to the pole? No. The NID must be grounded and the only pratical way to ground a pole mounted nid would be to install a grounding rod but no tech is going to do that. They will just replace the bsw and finish the job.

The Bell system has some of the best grounds and the strand to which the cable is lashed is well grounded. The ground wire connected to the strand could be run down the pole to a pole mounted NID.

Bell could also use 2 pair aerial drop with messenger down the side if the pole to a NID and use the messenger as a ground.

Rick

The strand is indeed grounded but it is too far from the prem to be an effective ground source. Lets not forget the pupose of grounding is to protect the customer. The sub would be vulnerable to foreign voltage coming in contact with the line after the strand-grounded NID. Acceptable ground points at a typical dwelling from most to least effective (as per Bell)...Cold water pipe, hydro ground lug at electric panel, at hydro meter, grounding rod.

Anonymuss

@rogers.com

Fine, leave the NID on the outside of the house, but the splice box on the pole from aerial to BSW is still the demarcation point for billing purposes.

If you believe the trouble truly is in the BSW, then suck up the DMC charge, and get an aerial drop placed from the pole to the house to have the billing demarcation point moved to the NID, or ask the tech to place a temp from the pole to the house until you decide to repair/replace the BSW.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by Anonymuss :

Fine, leave the NID on the outside of the house, but the splice box on the pole from aerial to BSW is still the demarcation point for billing purposes.

IIRC, the latest CRTC ruling regarding NIDs and DMC billing requires that Bell (or any other telco) installs a user-accessible NID with test jack free-of-charge where none exists before they can collect any diagnostic charges on subsequent calls.

xbell

@cgocable.net
reply to Anonymuss

said by Anonymuss :

Wrong. Thousands of Bell customers, myself included, have had bsw cut-overs or re-arranges from aerial to buried and the demarcation is the end of the bsw at prem.