spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26

Why do you hate Microsoft

I find people everywhere bashing Microsoft for no reason or because of irrelevant reasons. Why the hell is that?
It's a shit trend. MS is not Justin Beiber!

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
I don't hate Microsoft.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
said by thegeek:

I don't hate Microsoft.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to mastsethi
I've never had a problem with Microsoft. I love their desktop products, not a fan of their mobile stuff and I can tolerate the Xbox 360, even though I like PS3 better.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
reply to mastsethi
I don't hate them. Never did.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to mastsethi
I don't hate the company, I do hate that they put out software before it should be released.
I always wait 6 months to a year before buying anything from them!

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to mastsethi
I like MS but I think they don't always see the larger picture as far as interoperability between their products lines are concerned. And some product lines are awesome (Office) and others are just disappointing.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile-High

1 recommendation

reply to mastsethi
I run Windows at home, as does my wife. I run mostly Linux on my work laptop. I'm not a huge fan, but I don't hate Microsoft. They make tools. When they make the best tool to use, I use it. When they don't, I use the alternative.

I try not to get too emotional about my software.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
reply to mastsethi
I dont hate Microsoft in general. There are things that they have done or made that I have not liked, but overall they are ok. I use both Windows 7 and Mac daily and have no problems with either and like each for different reasons.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to mastsethi
I don't hate Microsoft. I'm not a barista.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
reply to mastsethi
Microsoft I like, it's apple that I hate.
--
This Space for Rent...

takeahike
Premium
join:2005-01-07
Woodland Hills, CA
reply to mastsethi
Well, it's not much fun when you're trying to fix a system and all you get from them is--gee, you have to activate because you're doing something on a change in hardware. Yeah, I'd say I have felt hate at what amounts to greed to the extreme at those moments. I'm still waiting for the day when 100 people die in a hospital because Windows refused to apply a mode of treatment because it wasn't properly activated. That would be a dog getting his day.
--
"The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry . . . " --Robert Burns

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK
reply to mastsethi
Microsoft have had a tendency to play dirty in the past and abuse their virtual monopoly postion - hence the antitrust case amongst other things. I'm too lazy to summon up hate but on the other hand I certainly don't trust them to behave in a decent manner.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
reply to mastsethi
I love Microsoft!
Back in the old days, I used to invite Bill over for dinner all the time,
Steve Ballmer is a little scary though, so I've never invited him...not so sure I'd want that guy in my house.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
I don't like companies that "assume" I want everything.
I've never like Office, won't use it. I don't want any of MS photo programs, I have Photoshop. I do hate IE. I hate anything with the label "MY." I resent paying for all this crap when I don't want it. I see the price came down on 8 but it's too late. I'm keeping certain software offline on XP (no worry about security) and using Ubuntu for the rest.

Now I'm pissed at the totally software run household. I want a programmable robot to do the stuff I find boring. I can program my household myself. We are minimalist so it's fairly easy.

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

1 recommendation

reply to mastsethi
I don't hate Microsoft, I just hate IE.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to mastsethi
said by mastsethi:

I find people everywhere bashing Microsoft for no reason or because of irrelevant reasons. Why the hell is that?

Because haters gonna hate.

that said I don't hate Microsoft, though I do hate windows 8 with the passion of 1000 white super giant stars going super nova at the same second in the same galaxy.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

1 edit
reply to mastsethi
It's interesting that the "Microsoft bashing" seems to have subsided quite a bit since the old days. (Even in these forums).
Maybe it's because bashing Google, Facebook (and some of the other 'big players' ) has become far more popular.
Every rant people have about Microsoft has been said over and over again so many times, it was probably time to move on to something else for a while.
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13

1 recommendation

reply to mastsethi

1) They have become VERY INTRUSIVE into peoples lives....
2) They think they own YOUR COMPUTER and can spy on it @ will
3) They try and force ppl to upgrade to the latest ugly/spying garbage where they have more spying,etc control..

I could go on and on..........

They didnt used to be like this...... Windows was WIDE OPEN until the Win2000 SP4 update.. (Thats when they started locking things down,taking away from the end user)

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

1 recommendation

said by Dude111:

I could go on and on..........

Oh Lord...please don't.
I need a rest after that other thread of yours.
--

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

reply to mastsethi

Re: Why do you hate Microsoft

said by mastsethi:

Simple - because they are a Scumbag company.... Read some of the documents from the Antirust trial about how they forced out competition in the OS, Office, and Internet markets. Really some eye opening stuff as to how they really screwed us computer users over back in the day (and still do today).

It also wasn't until I branched out into Linux and OS X that I realized just how poor Microsoft's offerings are from a technical (and aesthetic) point of view.

Registry? Why put all your config stuff into a horrible database that is hard to use and understand? May have made some sense back in the day but config files are much easier to do.

DLLs? really? Why not self contained apps (like OS X) that has everything you need for them right in it.

Whoever designed Vista/Windows 7 with it's overuse of transparency really screwed the pooch. Hard to use and very visually distracting.

There's a lot of other stuff not to like about Microsoft. I've hated them since before it was cool to hate them.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31
reply to mastsethi
Perhaps I spoke a little too early in this thread...Microsoft Bashing may still be alive and well after all.
--

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to thegeek
said by thegeek:

I don't hate Microsoft.

Neither do I, I dislike some of their software decisions/prices, but for the most part I like the company.
--
Politics is a disease, we need a cure!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to jabarnut
said by jabarnut:

Perhaps I spoke a little too early in this thread...Microsoft Bashing may still be alive and well after all.

Why? Cause I actually did the research and found out they are a company I would rather not do business with? Cause I tried alternatives and found them to be superior?

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

1 edit
Hey..no problem. What ever floats your boat. I happen to like a lot of Microsoft products (both software and hardware), but if some people don't, that's fine with me.
--

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL

1 recommendation

reply to mastsethi
I think I'm on the "I don't hate MS, but I don't love MS" bandwagon. They make good products that fit in well in a lot of situations. I'm more of a linux fan myself because I'm the kind of person that likes to tear things about and see how they work. I also write software as a hobby so I do enjoy a linux environment for that reason.

I guess if I were to list the things I do not like about MS:
- They seem to have a "our way or the highway" mentality when it comes to their product development. I personally can't stand the UI/UX of Win 8, but there really isn't a way to get it to feel like Win 7 that I'm aware of.

- They seem to be a bit greedy. They have been getting a little bit better though. If I wanted to upgrade my OS from XP to 7, in the past it would require at least $100 in software upgrades. The $35 to Win 8 program is neat. Who can really complain about the low prce.

- As it's been said before, they seem to want to know a little too much information about their user base in my opinion. If I use core software like an OS, I would rather use something that isn't really information hungry. Windows activation is a perfect example of being information hungry.

So, not a huge fan, but not a hater either.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to mastsethi
Overall, I like MS's products. Their licensing can be arcane, and I have serious questions about some of their design choices, but I have no desire to switch to any other OS or any other productivity software.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31
reply to mastsethi
One thing I've always found interesting in the past (with a few exceptions, of course), is that people continue to use a Microsoft OS, in order to constantly rant about Microsoft. Go figure.
--

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Soho97UK
said by Soho97UK:

Microsoft have had a tendency to play dirty in the past and abuse their virtual monopoly postion - hence the antitrust case amongst other things.

That's my only complaint. They killed Netscape by dragging their feet in court until irreparable damage was already done, despite Internet Explorer NEVER being a better browser. I can't really blame Microsoft though. They do what's in their power to maximize profits just like every other company. It's more a flaw in our slow justice system. The punishment clearly wasn't a deterrent either since they've pulled similar tricks since then.

bitemeboy

join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY
reply to mastsethi
Microsoft does not exist since I have none of their products on my computers.