KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to itguy05

Re: Why do you hate Microsoft

said by itguy05:

It also wasn't until I branched out into Linux and OS X that I realized just how poor Microsoft's offerings are from a technical (and aesthetic) point of view.

Agree. I'm a Linux user myself. While things aren't perfect, they are a helluva lot better than what MS offers.

Registry? Why put all your config stuff into a horrible database that is hard to use and understand? May have made some sense back in the day but config files are much easier to do.

Yeah it was a stupid idea and I am amazed that M$ has kept it around this long. They should definitely copy Unix/Linux and it's "everything is a file" mantra. The registry is what is primarily responsible for "Windows rot" (i.e. where your machine slows down over time). It's one of the reasons why you need to reinstall every few months.

DLLs? really? Why not self contained apps (like OS X) that has everything you need for them right in it.

I disagree here. If you write code you will see why shared libraries make things much easier. Linux uses the same idea with its .so files (.so files are almost exactly the same thing as DLL). Creating apps that are packaged with all the libraries is just not as practical. The .so and .dll's make things easier and smaller/lightweight.

There's a lot of other stuff not to like about Microsoft. I've hated them since before it was cool to hate them.

I can name another. NTFS. It is a crappy filesystem. It's old (1980's), slow and has huge fragmentation issues. Contrast this with Linux's main filesystem (ext4) and it is night and day. This is why Linux boxes never need defragmenting (ext3/4 just doesn't have fragmentation issues, at least not on the scale of NTFS).

Also Linux offers XFS, Btrfs, JFS, ReiserFS and others. With Windows you are stuck with NTFS (or FAT which is even worse).

To be fair, Apple's HFS isn't much better. Linus Torvalds called it "utter crap."

I could go on and on about M$, specifically as it relates to Windows. Tons of design flaws.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

KodiacZiller
Premium
reply to mastsethi

said by mastsethi:

We may criticize all we like but it makes little sense hating MS cause at the end of the day, we use a windows powered pc. And hopefully a win 8 powered tablet in the coming months.

*You* may use a Windows powered PC, but speak for yourself. Not all of us do. I haven't used Windows in many years and never plan on going back. Linux is far superior to both Windows and OSX.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

KodiacZiller
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to justine

said by justine:

Software shouldn't be copyrightable. Then it would be a profession instead of a product. Everyone would build on a common pool of software and it would improve like other arts and sciences.

Well said. This is what open-source is all about. Collaboration and free and open code. The problem is these big software companies want to patent code, which is preposterous. Code is nothing but logic and math. Has anyone ever patented math? No, so why do we allow people to patent a freaking line of source code?

Most code is written in C, especially at the lower levels of OS's and the like. C is a free and open language, so I find it crazy that people want to patent C code (yet this is precisely what M$ and others get away with).

I like the open-source model, specifically the GPL: do what you want with our code, but abide by the license (mainly give the authors credit and don't redistribute without keeping the code open).

I have no problem with patents if they are truly innovative. Writing code is not innovative whatsoever. This is why I think patents should only be available for hardware.

And Apple's patents are crap. They patented a freaking rectangle and a color (that's what the lawsuit was about, Apple claimed Samsung stole a rectangular shape). Patents are supposed to be "non-obvious." A rectangular shape of a phone is very obvious and should never have gotten through the patent office.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to KodiacZiller

said by KodiacZiller:

Yeah it was a stupid idea and I am amazed that M$ has kept it around this long.

Oh, you people have short memories.

The NT-style registry was introduced as a replacement for the text-file configuration of DOS and DOS-based Windows. The problem was that application installers kept screwing it up. To add a line loading your device driver requires such advanced programming as finding the right place in the file, adding a line, getting the format right, not re-doing the same thing on reinstall, etc. Certainly not rocket salad, but apparently beyond the capabilities of many application programmers.

A popluar complaint was "my system won't boot because this idiot app installer scrozzled config.sys/win.ini/autoexec.bat".

So a key/value database where changes can be made, without rewriting the whole thing, was a definite improvement. It made the OS more resilient against idiot programmers.

Windows is to some extent a victim of its own success. The original design was that the registry would live in the system virtual address space. But it worked so well that every app and its brother wants to keep stuff there, and the address limits (on a 32-bit system) are strained.

Mind you, I don't subscribe to this registry-rot theory. That is propaganda from people who hawk voodoo 'cleaning' software.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to KodiacZiller

The GPL depends entirely on copyright law. If there were no copyright law, the GPL would be unenforceable.

Your argument about C is nonsense. Most novels are written in natural language, so is it therefore crazy that people want to copyright things written in natural language? Most inventions are described in natural language, so is it crazy that people want to patent things described in natural language?

There is a coherent argument to be made against copyright and against patents, but "because they are written in C" is not one of those arguments.

KodiacZiller
Premium

said by dave:

The GPL depends entirely on copyright law. If there were no copyright law, the GPL would be unenforceable.

Your argument about C is nonsense. Most novels are written in natural language, so is it therefore crazy that people want to copyright things written in natural language? Most inventions are described in natural language, so is it crazy that people want to patent things described in natural language?

There is a coherent argument to be made against copyright and against patents, but "because they are written in C" is not one of those arguments.

While I understand your analogy, I think it is flawed. Programming languages are nothing but structured logic and (usually) leave only one way to do things (or at least they try to do so). There really isn't much room for "art" in programming as there is in literature. Programming is used to accomplish a task -- to communicate with a CPU that understands 1's and 0's. This is why I think programming is much more similar to doing math than it is to writing a novel. Sure, English is a "language" as is C/C++ or Perl. Then again mathematics is a language too, but it's not patentable.

If you put two experienced programmers in separate rooms and ask them to write a simple application, they will likely have code that is very similar. So if one of them "patents" his code before the other guy, I guess the other guy is SOL?

Copyrighting code is a different issue and I have no problem with that. If someone writes a program and wants to license it, fine with me. But if some other guy writes a similar app that consists of original code, he shouldn't be liable to patent suits. After all, the code will be very similar in certain areas, which means it is "obvious" and fails the definition of something that is patentable. Copyright usually deals with an entire application, which is fine with me. If I want to use the software I can either follow the license or find an alternative.

I am not against patents in general, but I am against software patents.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by KodiacZiller:

If you put two experienced programmers in separate rooms and ask them to write a simple application, they will likely have code that is very similar.

Well, sure, if all you're writing is a "simple" application, then there's likely a simple way to do it. But that is mere tautology; more complicated problems admit of widely-varying solutions that require the creative process.

I think your conception of 'what programming is' is wrong, too, but this is no place to expound on my theories of programming, and the differences between good programmers and time-servers.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to dave

Well Dave there is nothing wrong with keeping your registry clean buddy.... I have cleaned tons out of my registry and you can see the difference..... (Better performance,etc) -- Think of it like just buying your computer.... The reg is clean then right??

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

Yeah, let me know when you start running the same operating system as I do (DOS-based Windows 98 has nothing in common wth today's Windows family derived from NT). And then I'll ask you for your performance metrics.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to mastsethi

Its all been downhill since windows 3.11.
Everything new has just been gimmicks.

Seriously though, XP SP3 and Win7 are awesome.
Win8 sucks badly. The metro scrolling is just sad. The metro ie browser does not even work right.

I think Win7 will be around a long time as win8 will end up being like a windows 98/me or vista.
Microsoft is what made computers and internet so successful. Why would anyone hate microsoft?
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

UberNuub
Premium
join:2005-03-20
Wonderland
reply to mastsethi

I do not hate MS. I like WIN XP, WIN 7, Office etc. very much.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to jabarnut

said by jabarnut:

I love Microsoft!
Back in the old days, I used to invite Bill over for dinner all the time,
Steve Ballmer is a little scary though, so I've never invited him...not so sure I'd want that guy in my house.

Ditto. Bill is a bit of a nerd, as expected. But Steve seriously has a few loose bolts.

Bill likes the stronger beer, which surprised me.

I think the issue with Microsoft is not their products, but the companies that they deal with. There have some laptops that have no business being sold with Windows 7 and other apps that run like complete crap. Not really the fault of MS. While Apple sells their OS/Hardware together, they're making sure it runs decent.

If MS came out with their own branded computers, they'd run fine. But you'd not expect to pay much less than $700 or $800 for it.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to mastsethi

Everyone can vent thier anger here: »microsoftsucks.org

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

How about we just vent it here instead?
Dudes posts:
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Ya we could do that too buddy

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

I rest my case.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

said by jabarnut:

I rest my case.

I wonder who told him he was an "awesome dude"....

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3
reply to Dude111

said by Dude111:

Everyone can vent thier anger here: »microsoftsucks.org

What a spam filled forum. No thanks.

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26

Yousuckdude111.com

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to dvd536

said by dvd536:

because microsoft is the lesser of two evils and DOESN'T force quicktime and itunes on you!!1

I can uninstall iTunes and Quicktime on OS X just fine. Try removing Internet Explorer or Media Player.....

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to KodiacZiller

said by KodiacZiller:

I disagree here. If you write code you will see why shared libraries make things much easier. Linux uses the same idea with its .so files (.so files are almost exactly the same thing as DLL). Creating apps that are packaged with all the libraries is just not as practical. The .so and .dll's make things easier and smaller/lightweight.

And I disagree with your disagree. I don't care how big the software is, it makes sense for it all to be packaged as one. Just went through this with some .so files in Linux and it sucked. If you need a particular library, build it in and leave the OS to do what the OS does. Again, may have made sense when disks, Internet, etc were small in capacity and expensive but today with large and cheap storage it makes no sense.

quote:
To be fair, Apple's HFS isn't much better. Linus Torvalds called it "utter crap."
Linus has a history of saying inflammatory things. HFS may be crap but Journaled HFS+ is fine. It does defragging on the fly and has been quite reliable.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to dave

said by dave:

A popluar complaint was "my system won't boot because this idiot app installer scrozzled config.sys/win.ini/autoexec.bat".

So a key/value database where changes can be made, without rewriting the whole thing, was a definite improvement. It made the OS more resilient against idiot programmers.

Really? It's a bad idea. How many viruses and malware hide out in the registry? How many people try to clean things out and have no clue about the registry with the GUIDs and other junk. Contrast that with Linux with config files and OS X with .PLIST files. Much easier to troubleshoot and see what's going on.

Have an issue with a Mac program? Search in 1 of 2 locations for com.manufacturer.app.plist file. Either edit it or remove it. The app will recreate it on its next launch.

Have an issue with Windows? Good luck searching the registry.

quote:
Mind you, I don't subscribe to this registry-rot theory. That is propaganda from people who hawk voodoo 'cleaning' software.

Sure it exists - as things don't get cleaned up, the file gets bloated.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

said by itguy05:

Except plenty of other Android vendors are able to make phones without getting sued by Apple.

Really? Last I had the count, Apple was engaged in lawsuits with Samsung, HTC, Motorola...basically every manufacturer that produces Android smartphones.

And if you bothered to look at the lawsuits:

1. HTC was the data detector technology which they had to fix.
2. Samsung was not "a rectangle that is black" but the pinch to zoom, bounce scrolling, and a few others.
3. Motorola was about software behavior.

It's Apple defending it's IP. Same as if MS had a look alike for Windows and decided to sue. I'd support MS in that case too even though I hate the company.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to Oedipus

said by Oedipus:

Apple has proved that you can patent a shape and a "look."

Been around before the lawsuit and will be around after it.

It's why Nike has tons of Design patents covering shoe designs.
It's why you can't make a watch that looks like a Rolex and called a Rulex.
It's why you can't make a Couch bag that looks like a Coach.

I could go on and on, but design patents have been around for a long time.

And Apple also didn't win against Samsung because of a balck rectangle. It won on the functionality of its software.

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to mastsethi

What are you Apple iSheep going to do when Google, through it’s acquisition of Motorola Mobility, unleashes complete whoop-ass on Apple?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

said by Steve Mehs:

What are you Apple iSheep going to do when Google, through it’s acquisition of Motorola Mobility, unleashes complete whoop-ass on Apple?

they'll likely buy some iHumble Pie

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Rob

I posted a thread over there straight away

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to takeahike

said by takeahike:

I'm still waiting for the day when 100 people die in a hospital because Windows refused to apply a mode of treatment because it wasn't properly activated. That would be a dog getting his day.

Nice - hoping someone dies to bolster your opinion.

Beside which, what sort of reputable hospital does hardware upgrades on in-use life support systems?

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

I can uninstall iTunes and Quicktime on OS X just fine. Try removing Internet Explorer or Media Player.....

Two checkmarks in Add/Remove Programs. Not exactly a herculean task.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
reply to dave

said by dave:

Beside which, what sort of reputable hospital does hardware upgrades on in-use life support systems?

Gotta have that latest and the greatest man.

Thank God Apple doesn't make critical medical hardware. You'd have patients dying every year and a half as hospitals with poor IT insist on swapping out for the new iMed or whatever.