uniqs
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to KodiacZiller

to KodiacZiller

Re: Why do you hate Microsoft

said by KodiacZiller:

I disagree here. If you write code you will see why shared libraries make things much easier. Linux uses the same idea with its .so files (.so files are almost exactly the same thing as DLL). Creating apps that are packaged with all the libraries is just not as practical. The .so and .dll's make things easier and smaller/lightweight.

And I disagree with your disagree. I don't care how big the software is, it makes sense for it all to be packaged as one. Just went through this with some .so files in Linux and it sucked. If you need a particular library, build it in and leave the OS to do what the OS does. Again, may have made sense when disks, Internet, etc were small in capacity and expensive but today with large and cheap storage it makes no sense.
quote:
To be fair, Apple's HFS isn't much better. Linus Torvalds called it "utter crap."
Linus has a history of saying inflammatory things. HFS may be crap but Journaled HFS+ is fine. It does defragging on the fly and has been quite reliable.
itguy05

itguy05 to dave

to dave
said by dave:

A popluar complaint was "my system won't boot because this idiot app installer scrozzled config.sys/win.ini/autoexec.bat".

So a key/value database where changes can be made, without rewriting the whole thing, was a definite improvement. It made the OS more resilient against idiot programmers.

Really? It's a bad idea. How many viruses and malware hide out in the registry? How many people try to clean things out and have no clue about the registry with the GUIDs and other junk. Contrast that with Linux with config files and OS X with .PLIST files. Much easier to troubleshoot and see what's going on.

Have an issue with a Mac program? Search in 1 of 2 locations for com.manufacturer.app.plist file. Either edit it or remove it. The app will recreate it on its next launch.

Have an issue with Windows? Good luck searching the registry.
quote:
Mind you, I don't subscribe to this registry-rot theory. That is propaganda from people who hawk voodoo 'cleaning' software.

Sure it exists - as things don't get cleaned up, the file gets bloated.
itguy05

itguy05 to Thaler

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

said by itguy05:

Except plenty of other Android vendors are able to make phones without getting sued by Apple.

Really? Last I had the count, Apple was engaged in lawsuits with Samsung, HTC, Motorola...basically every manufacturer that produces Android smartphones.

And if you bothered to look at the lawsuits:

1. HTC was the data detector technology which they had to fix.
2. Samsung was not "a rectangle that is black" but the pinch to zoom, bounce scrolling, and a few others.
3. Motorola was about software behavior.

It's Apple defending it's IP. Same as if MS had a look alike for Windows and decided to sue. I'd support MS in that case too even though I hate the company.
itguy05

itguy05 to Moffetts

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

Apple has proved that you can patent a shape and a "look."

Been around before the lawsuit and will be around after it.

It's why Nike has tons of Design patents covering shoe designs.
It's why you can't make a watch that looks like a Rolex and called a Rulex.
It's why you can't make a Couch bag that looks like a Coach.

I could go on and on, but design patents have been around for a long time.

And Apple also didn't win against Samsung because of a balck rectangle. It won on the functionality of its software.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to mastsethi

Premium Member

to mastsethi
What are you Apple iSheep going to do when Google, through it’s acquisition of Motorola Mobility, unleashes complete whoop-ass on Apple?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Happydude32:

What are you Apple iSheep going to do when Google, through it’s acquisition of Motorola Mobility, unleashes complete whoop-ass on Apple?

they'll likely buy some iHumble Pie
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Robert

to Robert

I posted a thread over there straight away
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike

Re: Why do you hate Microsoft

said by takeahike:

I'm still waiting for the day when 100 people die in a hospital because Windows refused to apply a mode of treatment because it wasn't properly activated. That would be a dog getting his day.

Nice - hoping someone dies to bolster your opinion.

Beside which, what sort of reputable hospital does hardware upgrades on in-use life support systems?

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

I can uninstall iTunes and Quicktime on OS X just fine. Try removing Internet Explorer or Media Player.....

Two checkmarks in Add/Remove Programs. Not exactly a herculean task.
Thaler

Thaler to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

Beside which, what sort of reputable hospital does hardware upgrades on in-use life support systems?

Gotta have that latest and the greatest man.

Thank God Apple doesn't make critical medical hardware. You'd have patients dying every year and a half as hospitals with poor IT insist on swapping out for the new iMed or whatever.
Thaler

Thaler to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

And if you bothered to look at the lawsuits:

Why should I bother when you haven't either? Try talking to 67845017 See Profile sometime on the Apple threads, an actual patent attorney. These lawsuits were a bunch of bunk, and all it's going to end up doing is screwing Apple over in the end.

Apple wanted to play patent Thermonuclear War, and both Samsung and Google are going to deliver.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

How many viruses and malware hide out in the registry?

Probably none. Putting a virus 'in' the registry would achieve nothing. What you want is to arrange that your virus gets automatically executed unknowingly. You can achieve this equally well by putting your virus-startup command in the 'automatic startup' part of a Windows registry, or in the /etc/init/rc structure of a Linux system, or whatever. It's simply the case that (a) you want to put the startup command somewhere, and (b) all useful operating systems provide such a place.

If you're trying to make the case that somehow a tree-structured key-value database is somehow 'more hidden' than a file in a special directory, fine. I think the distinction is trivial.

How many people try to clean things out and have no clue about the registry with the GUIDs and other junk.

That there are idiots who delete things does not make the desgn bad. That there are snake-oil salesmen who sell crap to idiots does not make the design bad. That there are people who dislike large numbers does not make the design bad.

Much easier to troubleshoot and see what's going on.

If you find a tree-structured key-value database difficult, I can't really help.

Sure it exists - as things don't get cleaned up, the file gets bloated.

Ah, 'bloated', the vague and meaningless complaint of the uninformed. I agree that the original VM limit can be troublesome, but it's an extreme case. But if all you're talking about is access speed, all I can say to that is, O(log(N)).

W.r.t. "don't get cleaned up" - lousy uninstallers.

KodiacZiller
Premium Member
join:2008-09-04

1 recommendation

KodiacZiller

Premium Member

said by dave:

said by itguy05:

How many viruses and malware hide out in the registry?

Probably none. Putting a virus 'in' the registry would achieve nothing. What you want is to arrange that your virus gets automatically executed unknowingly. You can achieve this equally well by putting your virus-startup command in the 'automatic startup' part of a Windows registry, or in the /etc/init/rc structure of a Linux system, or whatever. It's simply the case that (a) you want to put the startup command somewhere, and (b) all useful operating systems provide such a place.

Good luck getting a virus in /etc/init since that directory is root owned. It would require the user to manually install a malicious file as root. (The root user could just as easily run rm -rf /). Tricking a user into installing a malicious file is unlikely since Linux has something known as package managers (a concept unknown to Windows where Microsoft leaves users on their own). Sure it's possible to bypass the package manager by downloading some random .deb or .rpm from somewhere, but an inexperienced user will likely have a hard time getting it to install properly in the first place (and experienced users would never do it to start with).

Another option is malware that runs in userspace. This is possible with something like a Java exploit in the browser. However, what this malware can do will be severely limited and it will never own the whole box.

If you find a tree-structured key-value database difficult, I can't really help.

I find it difficult to understand (though I haven't dealt with Windows in many years, so my memory is fuzzy). Much simpler is a mere config file a la Unix.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Gook luck getting a virus in HKLM, the 'run' key (etc) are admin-owned. It would require the user to be tricked into running the installer as admin.

(I think here we're back into the perennial debate over OS security versus a vast untrained user base that clicks before reading).

Windows has a 'package manager' too, it's called the MS Installer.

Re a 'mere config file' -- I'm not sure the maze of /etc/rc.N can be referred to as 'simple' any more. Sure, foobar.rc is simple in itself, but then again so is the HKLM/Software/FooBarCo/foobar subtree.
netsurfer1
join:2012-04-13
Atlanta, GA

netsurfer1 to mastsethi

to mastsethi
I don't hate Microsoft. It is very helpful for me. I don't hate Justin, he's cute.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to mastsethi

Premium Member

to mastsethi
People bash Microsoft because Apple did in the media years ago. They spent so much money doing so and was very successful in doing so. Then they got everyone to jump on the bandwagon by doing so.

Apple doesn't like competition even more so than Microsoft themselves and got pissed off that Microsoft actually listened to their consumers so they could give them what they asked for in an OS.

Remember, when Microsoft was getting nailed in court during the Win95 era, most or all the companies on board with it were owned by Apple somehow or had backing by Apple somehow.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to netsurfer1

Premium Member

to netsurfer1
said by netsurfer1: