All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi

Re: Why do you hate Microsoft

We may criticize all we like but it makes little sense hating MS cause at the end of the day, we use a windows powered pc. And hopefully a win 8 powered tablet in the coming months.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

I don't hate Microsoft.

I just think they're much like any other company that's capable of mistakes (ie. Vista). I have yet to see a company that always operates in a flawless manner.
Thaler

Thaler to ctggzg

Premium Member

to ctggzg
said by ctggzg:

That's my only complaint. They killed Netscape by dragging their feet in court until irreparable damage was already done, despite Internet Explorer NEVER being a better browser. I can't really blame Microsoft though. They do what's in their power to maximize profits just like every other company.

Case in point, Apple vs. Samsung. I'm not saying one makes a better product than another, but using frivolous lawsuits to prevent the free market from doing it's thing is pretty lame.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to bitemeboy

Premium Member

to bitemeboy
said by bitemeboy:

Microsoft does not exist since I have none of their products on my computers.

I suppose you've also never used any ATMs, arcade games, self-serve terminals (like airport check-in), or looked at any electronic billboards?

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

Yeah, I know an airport's running Windows when the arrivals/departures monitor is featuring a BSOD.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to mastsethi

Premium Member

to mastsethi
They are Apple fanbois?
Cheese

Cheese to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

said by mastsethi:

I find people everywhere bashing Microsoft for no reason or because of irrelevant reasons. Why the hell is that?
It's a shit trend. MS is not Justin Beiber!

Read some of the documents from the Antirust trial about how they forced out competition in the OS, Office, and Internet markets.

Really? I see other OS in the market, not sure what you mean the "internet market" as they are a software company. And Office? They make Office?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
said by PhoenixDown:

I like MS but I think they don't always see the larger picture as far as interoperability between their products lines are concerned. And some product lines are awesome (Office) and others are just disappointing.

That's because a huge company actually acts like a whole mess of unrelated companies. You simply can't coordinate an entity that big.

If your job is shipping the next version of Windows, you aren't likely to give a crap about what the developers on MS Trivial Crap v3.5 are up to. And perhaps the developers on MS Trivial Crap don't have a whole lot of expertise. The rest follows from all that.

There is no single "they" there.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to mastsethi

to mastsethi
said by mastsethi:

We may criticize all we like but it makes little sense hating MS cause at the end of the day, we use a windows powered pc. And hopefully a win 8 powered tablet in the coming months.

Nope, not here. By day I'm a Linux admin and run RHEL 6 and by night I use OSX. No interest or care what MS does on the OS side other than they are slowly loosing market share.
itguy05

itguy05 to Thaler

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

Case in point, Apple vs. Samsung. I'm not saying one makes a better product than another, but using frivolous lawsuits to prevent the free market from doing it's thing is pretty lame.

Why is defending what you created a bad thing? When I was shopping for an Android phone back in 2010 to replace my iPhone, I looked at Samsung's offering. Looked like an exact copy of the iPhone. Mthe layout was similar, the icons were pretty much copies, etc. even my wife commented how iPhone like it was. Even Google warned Samsung they were copying Apple.

I cant stand fakes and knock offs. Which is why I'll never own a replica, a pair of Skechers shoes (another company that rips off other designs), etc. I'd rather own the real thing and reward those that take the risks, not the cowards that copy them.

If you don't agree then get them to reform the patent system so you can't patent software or design. But don't be upset at a company who has a valid patent (and uses it) that defends that patent.
itguy05

itguy05 to Cheese

to Cheese
said by Cheese:

said by itguy05:

said by mastsethi:

I find people everywhere bashing Microsoft for no reason or because of irrelevant reasons. Why the hell is that?
It's a shit trend. MS is not Justin Beiber!

Read some of the documents from the Antirust trial about how they forced out competition in the OS, Office, and Internet markets.

Really? I see other OS in the market, not sure what you mean the "internet market" as they are a software company. And Office? They make Office?

You know what I meant. They pretty much killed Netscape because of their illegal tactics, they used illegal tying to get Office to where it is now, and made it impossible for other OSs to get in the door.

Read the antitrust documents and see how MS illegally got to where they are.

IMHO they are a blight on the entire industry and should have been broken up in the 90's.
Expand your moderator at work

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05

said by itguy05:

You know what I meant. They pretty much killed Netscape because of their illegal tactics, they used illegal tying to get Office to where it is now, and made it impossible for other OSs to get in the door.

IMHO they are a blight on the entire industry and should have been broken up in the 90's.

Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to itguy05

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

Inexplicably, sour grapes.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

said by Thaler:

Why is defending what you created a bad thing?

So, when Microsoft encourages a monopolistic market, they're bad guys. When Apple does the exact same thing, they're just defending their product. Yeah, that's not a double standard at all.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
Except, Apple didn't "create" the phone, the took existing technologies, just like everyone else, and packaged them up, again, just like everyone else.

The lawsuits are a complete joke, they are trying to ban the competition.
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to mastsethi

Premium Member

to mastsethi
I hate on anything that seems to never fully deliver quality.

I am not an Apple fan they are too expensive and not a Linux fan, as they are took geeky.

I use MS, but I don't 'like' them just because I am using them. Necessary evil is all MS is to me.

It's like hating the Dems or Reps or for Canadians the Libs or PCs.

Its like hating Bell Canada AND the cable operations out there.

It's like hating big box and made in China.

I will hate MS until they finally realize every other software maker calls them 'patches' that are free when all they have done is fix a screw up. They release Vista, and a buggered mess it is. They have some nerve selling it as 7 and pretending it isn't a patch.

Yes we have heard how ole Bill is such a stupenduously generous man donating all that money, money took from people over and over and over and over and over instead of just releasing patches like everyone else has to.
He didn't donate his money, he donated OUR money.

If Bill wants to truely impress me, he will consider his Windows program a free download, and settle for employing people in service. It's alas a vital program, one we really can barely avoid. I'm tired though of him walking around the mega billionaire charity all because he's screwed us out of so much money for so many years.
justine1
join:2012-06-13
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

justine1 to mastsethi

to mastsethi
I don't hate Microsoft. I recognize that it's a plague on the industry - sort of a giant parasite retarding human progress.

Microsoft buys, steals or imitates all its software. The only thing it's good at is lock-in tricks. Because of lock-in and OEM deals, it's always easier to buy more Microsoft products than switch to something else.

Software shouldn't be copyrightable. Then it would be a profession instead of a product. Everyone would build on a common pool of software and it would improve like other arts and sciences.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

said by 19579823:

1) They have become VERY INTRUSIVE into peoples lives....

It's true. I read on a Microsoft forum that they rolled out an update to Windows Live Mail, the spiritual successor to Outlook Express, that forces people to sign up for Windows Live Mail if they use attachments despite the fact they're using the program with their own pop/smtp service.

That coupled with a new OS that's terrible with touch + mouse + keyboard, compared to the way people have been using Windows for the past 17 years.

Their new Microsoft Office focuses on the following four major points:

- Office at Its Best on Windows 8
- Office Is in the Cloud
- Office Is Social
- Office Unlocks New Scenarios

Wow. None of those points mean anything to me...

No improvements to any of the programs, it just looks better on Windows 8, your files are automatically synchronized with programs you can already download, Skype is integrated and you 'unlock new scenarios' with touch.

That and they've eliminated Microsoft Windows Small Business Server, so if any service providers have had their clients on an upgrade path since 1999 that included Exchange and SQL, "sorry clients, what you've been doing for years has been discontinued and you need to spend a few thousand more to do it".

Since Gates left the company, they've been on a downward spiral that seems to be more about monetizing on fads rather than receiving fair compensation for producing software that improves our lives.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

2 recommendations

amungus to mastsethi

Premium Member

to mastsethi

Personally, I get upset with them from time to time, but wouldn't call it hate.

The whole anti-trust thing from "back in the day" was a mess.

Funny how the Europeans eventually got a special version of Windows 7 without IE, (well, I think it's technically "a browser choice") but nobody else can get this "special" edition of Windows.

Internet Explorer becoming "integrated" (not simply "included") with the OS was probably the single biggest issue I have had with Microsoft. It was a terrible idea, and all they got was a slap on the wrist - nothing changed.

"...the two were now the same product and were inextricably linked together..."
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Un ··· icrosoft

The worst part is that so many people misunderstand and underestimate the impact of the integration, and the methods by which they did this. Nobody cares, or cared, that they included IE. The problem was with how they went about tying it so closely to the operating system, which was not needed.

Just for the sake of argument - how many security issues have been related to IE/ActiveX over the years, that also affect or relate directly to the OS itself???

Couple other things that've irked me over the years...
-DRM integration with the OS (Vista/7/8). Though, to be fair, it isn't entirely their fault; pressure came from elsewhere..
-"Stealth update" fiasco back in about 2007 was also very shady. Even with updates set to "never," it (a background service) went ahead and nearly rebooted a machine I was trusting to run without interruption for a project. Not at all cool, but I got over it eventually.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

You are aware you can remove IE in 7 now?
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

Yes, but it's still largely an illusion

»lifehacker.com/5164286/w ··· er-kinda
"Since Internet Explorer's rendering engine is also used throughout Windows and with third-party applications as an embeddable component, it won't completely uninstall only the executable is actually removed."

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to 19579823

to 19579823

Re:  

said by 19579823:

They didnt used to be like this...... Windows was WIDE OPEN until the Win2000 SP4 update.. (Thats when they started locking things down,taking away from the end user)

You know that most stuff locked can be unlocked quite easily, right?

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

3 edits

1 recommendation

jabarnut to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai

said by Sukunai:

Yes we have heard how ole Bill is such a stupenduously generous man donating all that money, money took from people over and over and over and over and over instead of just releasing patches like everyone else has to.
He didn't donate his money, he donated OUR money.

Hey, not bad for a bunch of 'geeks in a garage', eh?

How ever he acquired the money, at least he has (and continues to), donate huge sums of it, and really is trying to do some good in the world these days. (He could have kept every penny for himself).
I was fortunate enough to see him at Harvard when he gave a Commencement speech back in 2007, and was very impressed with the guy. Some of it early on was actually pretty funny. (Some of it later on in the speech, pretty serious, and very compationate). Give it a read, I think it's worth it.
»news.harvard.edu/gazette ··· nt-2007/

I don't fault the guy at all...I'd have probably done the same thing to accumulate all of that wealth, if I were smart enough (and in some cases, lucky enough), to do so.
He's moved on.
Now Steve Ballmer? Well, as I said earlier, he's a whole 'nother nut job.
Truth is, I'd trade places with Bill in a heartbeat, even if it meant being constantly bashed. (Even to this day, when he has very little to do with the company anymore).
He's way too busy trying to help less fortunate people these days, instead of trying to "steal your money".
»www.gatesfoundation.org/ ··· ome.aspx
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to PatPatate

to PatPatate

Yes perhaps bud IF YOU KNEW EXACTLY EVERYTHING THEY DID from Win2000 SP4 to Windows 8 (Which is a hell of a lot)

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

1 edit

jabarnut

Premium Member

Dude. Just continue to use Windows 98 for the rest of you life, and all will be well.
If you ever decide to "upgrade", either move on to a non-Microsoft operating system, or stop complaining about the whole thing.
Oh, and by the way, you're still driving me TOTALLY INSANE with the freaking CAPS LOCK KEY STUCK ALL THE TIME!
I thought for a while there, that nonsense was over with. But no such luck, apparently.
Is it even remotely possible you can post something just ONE TIME without freaking yelling at all of us?
Damn!

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by jabarnut:

Dude. Just continue to use Windows 98 for the rest of you life, and all will be well.
If you ever decide to "upgrade", either move on to another non-Microsoft operating system, or stop complaining about the whole thing.
Oh, and by the way, you're still driving me TOTALLY INSANE with the freaking CAPS LOCK KEY STUCK ALL THE TIME!
I thought for a while there, that nonsense was over with. But no such luck, apparently.
Is it even remotely possible you can post something just ONE TIME without freaking yelling at all of us?
Damn!

No, it's not possible. People like that never change.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to mastsethi

Premium Member

to mastsethi

I don't hate them. Apple is the only technology maker I really dislike.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin to mastsethi

Premium Member

to mastsethi
I don't hate or like MS. It is the system I use. I haven't any issues with them. As with others, it is Apple and their products that drive me nuts.
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to mastsethi

to mastsethi
i like microsoft now apple i hate alot cuz they polute the envorioment n there boss steve jobs was an insane sack of donkey shiz