kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to jabarnut

Re:  

said by jabarnut:

said by Dude111:

I could go on and on..........

Oh Lord...please don't.
I need a rest after that other thread of yours.

IT WOULDN'T BE ABOUT HOW AMAZING IE6 IS NOW WOULD IT??????
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1

said by Dustyn:

said by jabarnut:

said by Dude111:

I could go on and on..........

Oh Lord...please don't.
I need a rest after that other thread of yours.

IT WOULDN'T BE ABOUT HOW AMAZING IE6 IS NOW WOULD IT??????

lol

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL
reply to Oedipus

said by Oedipus:

said by Dude111:

quote:
Is it even remotely possible you can post something just ONE TIME without freaking yelling at all of us?
Im sorry buddy,i guess its cause i dont consider it yelling. (I consider it UPPER CASE (More noticable))

Regardless of what you think it means, the rest of the internet sees it as yelling. This is basic, basic, internet 101.

»www.netmanners.com/272/caps-form···-matter/

I see it as them trying to get attention, and most certainly this one is trying to get attention.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to slyphoxj

Re: Why do you hate Microsoft

said by slyphoxj:

Windows 3.1 and 98... I had mixed feelings about these. Win 3.1 booted very quickly but was very unstable, especially with Novell networking. I also remember the very early versions of Netscape being very flaky. Win98's UI was a huge step forward, but I got frustrated with its instability and lack of task/process control.

Novell practically invented and used to all-but-own the PC networking market. Then when Microsoft decided that they wanted to own it instead, they started playing down and dirty (including those stability issues that you mentioned) and you see where Novell is today, don't you?

As far as Netscape goes, at one point they were signing up corporate customers left and right. But then Microsoft (in the form of Bill Gates himself) started going around behind them and "convincing" those customers to use IE instead. IIRC, there was a least one big company (I forget who) which very publicly signed a deal with Netscape, only to have BG show up within 24 hours and try to force them to renege on the deal. (In the end I think they still paid for Netscape but just never deployed it.) BG had a lot of "influence" back then (arm twisting and thuggery, many would call it), and it was reported that he would even go so far as to buy up big blocks of a company's stock and try to use that as leverage against them if they didn't play by his rules - as in, "All Microsoft, all the time!"

bitemeboy

join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY
reply to Cheese

Re:  

I AM OLD AND HARD OF HEARING SO THANK YOU DUDE111 THANK YOU!!!

WE SENIORS APPRECIATE ALL YOUR COMMENTS.

SOME OF US MIGHT NEED EVEN LOUDER
--
Slow down Pa... Sakes alive...Ma missed signs... Four and five
.......................................Burma-Shave..................................

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

said by bitemeboy:

I AM OLD AND HARD OF HEARING SO THANK YOU DUDE111 THANK YOU!!!

WE SENIORS APPRECIATE ALL YOUR COMMENTS.

SOME OF US MIGHT NEED EVEN LOUDER

You may appreciate them, most don't

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to slyphoxj

said by slyphoxj:

Windows 3.1 and 98... I had mixed feelings about these. Win 3.1 booted very quickly but was very unstable, especially with Novell networking. I also remember the very early versions of Netscape being very flaky. Win98's UI was a huge step forward, but I got frustrated with its instability and lack of task/process control.

Windows XP... awesome! Hardly a day has gone by in the last 8-9 years that I haven't used it. But it's Windows... still have to clean up occasional malware on relatives' PC's.

Win 7... not as snappy as XP, but I guess that's because I'm running it on a netbook (AMD C-60 with 4GB RAM). Might be awesome if I could get a free/cheap (under $50) license to run it on my "real" Core2Duo laptop.

Just wait till Microsoft goes to a cloud-based model where you are forced to lease all of your MS apps and pay a monthly charge to use them... miss a payment and you're SOL!

Windows 3.11 worked great.
95 had all kinds of issue, but was a great step forward.
I never had problems using 2000 and XP SP1+ worked great.
Vista was buggy
Win7 is awesome, uses very low resources, very little issues.
Out of win7 the only issues I ever have is the stupid "identifying network" - sometimes it hangs and will not display the window to let you select (I wish there was a way to force it to identify).

Cloud compting is stupid unless the cloud server runs on your home computer over your internet connection.
Anything less is just giving control of all your files to someone else.
With fast home connections it only makes sense to run a cloud server on your home computer instead on microsoft's or someone elses.

I would not be suprised if win8 or I guess win9 will have an integrated personal cloud server that will connect all your windows devices and computers as that is the future instead of to some remote 3rd party server out of your control.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3

I don't know about that. Amazon's MP3 cloud service is great, and keeps getting better. What's the worst that happens, someone learns the type of music I like?

Don't store your SSN, credit card numbers, state secrets, etc. in the cloud. For 99% of your data (ie. the who-gives-a-fart variety), the cloud's a perfect place to for that data to sit.

rgillis70
Premium
join:2002-12-30
Herndon, VA
reply to urbanriot

Re:  

said by urbanriot:

That and they've eliminated Microsoft Windows Small Business Server, so if any service providers have had their clients on an upgrade path since 1999 that included Exchange and SQL, "sorry clients, what you've been doing for years has been discontinued and you need to spend a few thousand more to do it".

????

»www.microsoft.com/oem/en/product···PW7-w2cV

I am doing a migration this weekend - they are not killing off SBS. They know it is a cash cow. They have changed the migration path by adding SQL as a stand alone system, but everything still works and runs smoother than before.

I don't hate MS. I think Win7 is the most solid OS I have run, and yes I run various Linux flavors and work on OUL, AIX and Macs.

I did dislike them killing Netscape, I really liked that browser and continued to use it as long as I could. I don't hate IE, but it is not my main browser.

Activation has never been an issue for me, and so many other companies do the same thing - but no one complains about them.

I hate Adobe. I love Photoshop but the rest of that company can take a flying leap. Support is useless and arrogant.

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
reply to mastsethi

How dare you say I hate Microsoft???? Might be a little peeved at them though...
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to mastsethi

I have no hate for MS although I find posts by the same old members on this site bashing Microsoft & Windows humorous as they continue to use Microsoft products year in and year out.

Edit* Wording
--
"Paranoia, the destroyer"

SNT
Premium
join:2002-07-17
Satellite Beach, FL
reply to mastsethi

This is why..

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to mastsethi

I think people hate MS because right now they are biggest and as such "its cool". in the MMO gaming community people hate WoW.. only because its the biggest so "its cool" to hate it.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

1 recommendation

reply to mastsethi

The things I hate about Microsoft:
1) Their alleged strong arm practices. The stories of how they would force computer companies to not sell computers with competitors operating systems and/or competitors software loaded on the computers or risk losing their Microsoft license.
2) Early release of software before plenty of testing or releasing plain old crap. ME and Vista just to name a couple.
3) How they run out and patent open source activities or actions and then extort money from device manufactures who run open source operating systems. It seems Microsoft would rather sit in a courtroom so they can make more money rather then expand and or improve their product line(s).
4) Update/upgrade a web browser (Internet explorer) and your computer fails to boot up afterwards. The only resolution is to re-install the operating system. Or system updates break your computer.
5) How they make it too easy to run the computer as an administrator which in turn makes the computer wide open to viruses, spyware and such. Then they make it so damn annoying with a pop up asking for verification every time you want to do anything that you want to run it as an administrator and take the risk.

I don't particularly hate Microsoft as much as I hate what they have been doing and the ways they go about getting their money, but I try my best to not support them financially.
--
mbsastronomy.com

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to mastsethi

OUTLOOK.COM

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

Indeed!!!

I wonder why they just did this NOW with outlook.com,they have had the domain for years!

Here is the original outlook.com from 1996

http://web.archive.org/web/19961224/http://www.outlook.com/

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26

You know I have loved the the new interface of outlook. What's even better is that I have found the desired username.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

said by Dude111:

Indeed!!!

I wonder why they just did this NOW with outlook.com,they have had the domain for years!

Here is the original outlook.com from 1996

http://web.archive.org/web/19961224/http://www.outlook.com/

Kinda an improvement if you ask me.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Dude111

said by Dude111:

Windows was WIDE OPEN until the Win2000 SP4 update..

that would be around when napster was taking off. guess who MS was in bed with?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to jabarnut

said by jabarnut:

One thing I've always found interesting in the past (with a few exceptions, of course), is that people continue to use a Microsoft OS, in order to constantly rant about Microsoft. Go figure.

because microsoft is the lesser of two evils and DOESN'T force quicktime and itunes on you!!1

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

It also wasn't until I branched out into Linux and OS X that I realized just how poor Microsoft's offerings are from a technical (and aesthetic) point of view.

Agree. I'm a Linux user myself. While things aren't perfect, they are a helluva lot better than what MS offers.

Registry? Why put all your config stuff into a horrible database that is hard to use and understand? May have made some sense back in the day but config files are much easier to do.

Yeah it was a stupid idea and I am amazed that M$ has kept it around this long. They should definitely copy Unix/Linux and it's "everything is a file" mantra. The registry is what is primarily responsible for "Windows rot" (i.e. where your machine slows down over time). It's one of the reasons why you need to reinstall every few months.

DLLs? really? Why not self contained apps (like OS X) that has everything you need for them right in it.

I disagree here. If you write code you will see why shared libraries make things much easier. Linux uses the same idea with its .so files (.so files are almost exactly the same thing as DLL). Creating apps that are packaged with all the libraries is just not as practical. The .so and .dll's make things easier and smaller/lightweight.

There's a lot of other stuff not to like about Microsoft. I've hated them since before it was cool to hate them.

I can name another. NTFS. It is a crappy filesystem. It's old (1980's), slow and has huge fragmentation issues. Contrast this with Linux's main filesystem (ext4) and it is night and day. This is why Linux boxes never need defragmenting (ext3/4 just doesn't have fragmentation issues, at least not on the scale of NTFS).

Also Linux offers XFS, Btrfs, JFS, ReiserFS and others. With Windows you are stuck with NTFS (or FAT which is even worse).

To be fair, Apple's HFS isn't much better. Linus Torvalds called it "utter crap."

I could go on and on about M$, specifically as it relates to Windows. Tons of design flaws.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

KodiacZiller
Premium
reply to mastsethi

said by mastsethi:

We may criticize all we like but it makes little sense hating MS cause at the end of the day, we use a windows powered pc. And hopefully a win 8 powered tablet in the coming months.

*You* may use a Windows powered PC, but speak for yourself. Not all of us do. I haven't used Windows in many years and never plan on going back. Linux is far superior to both Windows and OSX.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

KodiacZiller
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to justine

said by justine:

Software shouldn't be copyrightable. Then it would be a profession instead of a product. Everyone would build on a common pool of software and it would improve like other arts and sciences.

Well said. This is what open-source is all about. Collaboration and free and open code. The problem is these big software companies want to patent code, which is preposterous. Code is nothing but logic and math. Has anyone ever patented math? No, so why do we allow people to patent a freaking line of source code?

Most code is written in C, especially at the lower levels of OS's and the like. C is a free and open language, so I find it crazy that people want to patent C code (yet this is precisely what M$ and others get away with).

I like the open-source model, specifically the GPL: do what you want with our code, but abide by the license (mainly give the authors credit and don't redistribute without keeping the code open).

I have no problem with patents if they are truly innovative. Writing code is not innovative whatsoever. This is why I think patents should only be available for hardware.

And Apple's patents are crap. They patented a freaking rectangle and a color (that's what the lawsuit was about, Apple claimed Samsung stole a rectangular shape). Patents are supposed to be "non-obvious." A rectangular shape of a phone is very obvious and should never have gotten through the patent office.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to KodiacZiller

said by KodiacZiller:

Yeah it was a stupid idea and I am amazed that M$ has kept it around this long.

Oh, you people have short memories.

The NT-style registry was introduced as a replacement for the text-file configuration of DOS and DOS-based Windows. The problem was that application installers kept screwing it up. To add a line loading your device driver requires such advanced programming as finding the right place in the file, adding a line, getting the format right, not re-doing the same thing on reinstall, etc. Certainly not rocket salad, but apparently beyond the capabilities of many application programmers.

A popluar complaint was "my system won't boot because this idiot app installer scrozzled config.sys/win.ini/autoexec.bat".

So a key/value database where changes can be made, without rewriting the whole thing, was a definite improvement. It made the OS more resilient against idiot programmers.

Windows is to some extent a victim of its own success. The original design was that the registry would live in the system virtual address space. But it worked so well that every app and its brother wants to keep stuff there, and the address limits (on a 32-bit system) are strained.

Mind you, I don't subscribe to this registry-rot theory. That is propaganda from people who hawk voodoo 'cleaning' software.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to KodiacZiller

The GPL depends entirely on copyright law. If there were no copyright law, the GPL would be unenforceable.

Your argument about C is nonsense. Most novels are written in natural language, so is it therefore crazy that people want to copyright things written in natural language? Most inventions are described in natural language, so is it crazy that people want to patent things described in natural language?

There is a coherent argument to be made against copyright and against patents, but "because they are written in C" is not one of those arguments.

KodiacZiller
Premium

said by dave:

The GPL depends entirely on copyright law. If there were no copyright law, the GPL would be unenforceable.

Your argument about C is nonsense. Most novels are written in natural language, so is it therefore crazy that people want to copyright things written in natural language? Most inventions are described in natural language, so is it crazy that people want to patent things described in natural language?

There is a coherent argument to be made against copyright and against patents, but "because they are written in C" is not one of those arguments.

While I understand your analogy, I think it is flawed. Programming languages are nothing but structured logic and (usually) leave only one way to do things (or at least they try to do so). There really isn't much room for "art" in programming as there is in literature. Programming is used to accomplish a task -- to communicate with a CPU that understands 1's and 0's. This is why I think programming is much more similar to doing math than it is to writing a novel. Sure, English is a "language" as is C/C++ or Perl. Then again mathematics is a language too, but it's not patentable.

If you put two experienced programmers in separate rooms and ask them to write a simple application, they will likely have code that is very similar. So if one of them "patents" his code before the other guy, I guess the other guy is SOL?

Copyrighting code is a different issue and I have no problem with that. If someone writes a program and wants to license it, fine with me. But if some other guy writes a similar app that consists of original code, he shouldn't be liable to patent suits. After all, the code will be very similar in certain areas, which means it is "obvious" and fails the definition of something that is patentable. Copyright usually deals with an entire application, which is fine with me. If I want to use the software I can either follow the license or find an alternative.

I am not against patents in general, but I am against software patents.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by KodiacZiller:

If you put two experienced programmers in separate rooms and ask them to write a simple application, they will likely have code that is very similar.

Well, sure, if all you're writing is a "simple" application, then there's likely a simple way to do it. But that is mere tautology; more complicated problems admit of widely-varying solutions that require the creative process.

I think your conception of 'what programming is' is wrong, too, but this is no place to expound on my theories of programming, and the differences between good programmers and time-servers.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to dave

Well Dave there is nothing wrong with keeping your registry clean buddy.... I have cleaned tons out of my registry and you can see the difference..... (Better performance,etc) -- Think of it like just buying your computer.... The reg is clean then right??

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

Yeah, let me know when you start running the same operating system as I do (DOS-based Windows 98 has nothing in common wth today's Windows family derived from NT). And then I'll ask you for your performance metrics.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to mastsethi

Its all been downhill since windows 3.11.
Everything new has just been gimmicks.

Seriously though, XP SP3 and Win7 are awesome.
Win8 sucks badly. The metro scrolling is just sad. The metro ie browser does not even work right.

I think Win7 will be around a long time as win8 will end up being like a windows 98/me or vista.
Microsoft is what made computers and internet so successful. Why would anyone hate microsoft?
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.