spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

registrations will tell the tale..

the community (kansas city) wanted it so badly, so now they have to put up or shut up with acutal uptake rates.. which means 90% or more taking the internt or internet + tv package.. vs the subidized 5mbit plan..

IMO, $70 is a bit steep for most budgets.. that kinda moves into dual play services (price range) for many consumers.. yet it's just internet.. so yeah, I'd rather see a $35 512 mbit plan.. that's enough for me to start.... lol
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Re: registrations will tell the tale..

Agreed. I'd even be willing to pay $45 for 512. Give me that, with no caps, and I'm totally happy.

I predict the 5 mb/s tier will be popular with many folks, especially if they can stretch the install cost out over several months. It isn't the fastest, but it's hard to argue with the price point.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to tmc8080

to tmc8080
Unfortunately man in valid KC fiberhoods can't register. There's a bug in the registration system that doesn't recognize most addresses. Almost no multi unit buildings work but even in some hoods, single family homes don't work either.

Hope Google fixes it soon. I can't register, my building can't and most of my hood can't because it's mostly condos/apts. My hood is well behind in registrations. I'd bet most hoods that have not made quota yet have same problem. Oddly a handful of multi unit buildings do work but very very few.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Verizon had these qualification growing pains (in the..) in the beginning of FIOS..
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to tmc8080

to tmc8080
I am predicting that it will go like this, in order of most uptake:

Most people will take the bundle of TV and internet as $120 for both is pretty reasonable compared to any competitor.

Then you will have those that just want basic TV and internet, they will probably just take the internet.

Then you will have those that have some channel they simply can't go without with only moderate need for more than 5MB internet causing them to pay the higher price other service to get it.

Then you will have those that dont really care for much of either and will take the 5MB plan as it is pretty much free after they pay the installation charge and last for 7 worry free years.

This prediction of course comes before the local failure of companies implement any kind of predatory pricing to try to retain/gain consumers. Hopefully any smart consumers will be sure they don't enter a contract or have existing termination fees with those existing failures.
xenophon

xenophon

It will also depend on what TWC and ATT offer in response. I suspect TWC will offer a better deal than ATT and might be even able to keep a handful.
09129800 (banned)
join:2012-06-27
New York, NY

09129800 (banned)

This will definitely be Time Warner's first market where they offer service which uses current DOCSIS 3.0 technology to its max...

I see a 300/100 Mbps package using 8 bonded downstream channels and 4 bonded upstream channels on the horizon for Kansas City.

As for AT&T, they are just screwed when it comes to wireline. There is no way they can compete with their current pathetic U-verse product. Either they will upgrade it completely FTTH like Google Fiber or they will be content to let their wired business in Kansas City die a slow death.

Right now I think AT&T is hoping wired Internet dies and everyone migrates to wireless where they can nickle and dime them easier so they will probably take option #2.

MakeEmum
@comcast.net

MakeEmum to tmc8080

Anon

to tmc8080
Google has a low-end plan, 5/1 Mbps for $25/month for one year or $300 upfront and the internet is free for at least seven years with the ability to upgrade to the 1/1 Gbps service at anytime, though I would like to see if they will release mid-tier plans in the future

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds to tmc8080

MVM

to tmc8080
I actually expect a lot of people to go for the $120/mo dual play option. Uncapped internet and TV (~200 channels including Starz, Encore, Showtime, and TMC) with 1TB Google Drive, 2TB NAS device, and a free Nexus 7.
xenophon

1 edit

xenophon

said by marigolds:

I actually expect a lot of people to go for the $120/mo dual play option. Uncapped internet and TV (~200 channels including Starz, Encore, Showtime, and TMC) with 1TB Google Drive, 2TB NAS device, and a free Nexus 7.

That is likely for those who already have TWC or ATT cable tv - they'll make a parallel move. Would think under 10% of TWC/ATT customers are broadband only and I would expect the same for Gooble Fiber. However, the free service might attract some who don't have broadband yet (low income) or have been thinking about dumping cable TV anyway. Netflix/Hulu works fine on 5Mbps.